Need to increase my protein

Options
2»

Replies

• yasemasuyo
    yasemasuyo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I just trialed a new recipe, Soy bean flour pancakes, and have uploaded it to the recipe section! Contains soy bean flour, egg, greek yoghurt... And really delicious! :happy:
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I haven't got a problem with oatmeal...

My point was not to inform you that oatmeal was comparable with chia seeds, it was to point out that chia seeds are a piss poor protein source.

I don't agree.

Nice triple post. Chia seeds have protein. That doesn't mean they're a great source of protein. You said 1 serving has 4.4g of protein. But 1 serving of Chia seeds also has 137 calories. 31 calories per gram of protein. Great source if you're bulking, sure.
  • 175fit
    175fit Posts: 3
    Options
    ^ Those are my go-to sources for protein, but I also supplement. I like:

Quest Bars (low carb) - I think these are net 5g or under with 20g protein
    Pure Protein (higher carb)
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey protein powder (I make protein pancakes with them!)
    [/quote]

Research shows heating protein powders loses the bio availability of the nutrients for the body to absorb. BTW Blue Bonnet and Solgar are really good whey protein isolates..
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

My point was not to inform you that oatmeal was comparable with chia seeds, it was to point out that chia seeds are a piss poor protein source.

I don't agree.

Nice triple post. Chia seeds have protein. That doesn't mean they're a great source of protein. You said 1 serving has 4.4g of protein. But 1 serving of Chia seeds also has 137 calories. 31 calories per gram of protein. Great source if you're bulking, sure.

Exactly. I love chia seeds, but they're not great for protein if you're watching what you eat.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    CHIA SEEDS! For sure. I take them in my green tea. It's great. Check 'em out.
    9g of fat, 12g of carbs and 5g of protein per serving is not a protein based food.

Its a fat based food.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

dude. 2 servings of oatmeal is like 1 egg. Forget the fact it has like 40g+of carbs with it. It has protein!
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

dude. 2 servings of oatmeal is like 1 egg. Forget the fact it has like 40g+of carbs with it. It has protein!
    This. I eat oatmeal, but if I were to eat oatmeal for the protein I would have to eat over 30 servings. The protein is a nice bonus, but you should get your protein from sources that have 20+ grams per 100ish calories if you want to eat at a deficit.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, and I agree with Sharon - chicken and fish! I'm also a fan of shell fish.

There are other great suggestions here for sure! I also fall back on a Nature Valley Protein bar with breakfast or as a snack. 14 carbs - 5 fiber (9 carb net), and 10 protein, you're not going to spike off that.

And OMG CHEESE, did you forget the cheese? A day without cheese is like a hug without the squeeze! Okay, it's not low calorie, but it's a nice addition to other protein choices.

Eggs + cheese
    Egg whites + cheese
    Chicken + cheese
    Vegetables + cheese
    cottage cheese <--- why, hello there, cheese

Also in diary:
    Greek Yogurt ain't a terribad option either - I favor Dannon Oikos and it's 12 protein / 19 carbs, so it's a decent ratio
    Milk - It's a good balance of protein and carb, regular ol' milk - if you have the calories for it
    (Personally I use Almond/Coconut Milk as a low carb option - yumz)

Soy protein can be a bummer for us because it can affect us (with phytoestrogens) like estrogen and we have too much estrogen with PCOS, so try not to rely on soy protein.

Oh yes, back to the cheese: don't get diet cheese or light cheese, they add a buncha extra salt and that stuff has enough sodium as it is. As for your carb choices, choose whole grains and high fiber choices. That will help keep your blood sugar more stable so your insulin isn't spiking and exaserbating your other problems. Lower insulin and stable blood sugar is our goal.

I'm actually against the 50 carb a day diet or other ultra low-carb diets. But, that's just me. It's A solution sure, but I'm looking for a healthy way to eat for the long term. If you want to eat like that, and you're happy, go for it.

My goal is to balance my Protein, Carbs, Fat, and Fiber so that I don't cause spikes in insulin levels, which improves insulin sensitivity over time (and so does regular exercise!). I also take metforim, which totally helps.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Go to the grocery store, and buy a container marked "whey protein." Preferably the cheapest one per unit weight. Mix it with water, and drink it.