Can I eat Snickers even if it fits my calories?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Is it ok to eat snickers if it fits your daily calorie allowance? Or is that going to *slow down* your weight loss (even thou it fits the allotted daily calories). Im asking because I know its not HEALTHY, but I can have it and not go over my calories.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Eat the Snickers. It has protein, fats, and carbs like most other foods. Make room in your calories and enjoy it. It is no less healthy to eat one Snickers than it is to eat 100g of meat with a slice of bread and butter. Seriously, there is no bad food, only bad diets.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    THANKS alot guys!! I just thought since its a "chocolate" the body will take it negatively. Because calories from a salad would be better for weight loss than in chocolate..I guess because of the sugar and what not.

Chocolate actually contains nutrition. Yes, I'm serious.

Nutrition Facts
    Amount Per 1 oz (28 g)
    Calories 155
    % Daily Value*
    Total fat 9 g 13%
    Saturated fat 5 g 25%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.3 g
    Monounsaturated fat 2.7 g
    Trans fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 2 mg 0%
    Sodium 7 mg 0%
    Potassium 158 mg 4%
    Total Carbohydrate 17 g 5%
    Dietary fiber 2 g 8%
    Sugar 14 g
    Protein 1.4 g 2%
    Caffeine 12 mg
    Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 1% Iron 12%
    Vitamin B-6 0% Vitamin B-12 1%
    Magnesium 10%
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    YES!! Go for it. As long as you stay under your calorie goal, the types foods you eat won't make your loss slower or faster.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    That's a tricky question. I'd say, it depends. I would not be able to do it. When I eat sugar, it sets up an irresistible craving and I just want more and more. It's easier for me not to eat it in the first place than it is to try and stop once I start. It's about addiction for me, and I am surely a sugar addict. But if you are one of those people that can have just a little bit of sweets and be okay, then why not? You get to decide.
    Which brings us back to: everyone has to decide for themselves. Everyone has to be honest with themselves about their relationship with food. We talk a lot about iffym, but each of us has to determine what that means to us, how important it is, and how well we do that. The answer to these types of questions is: it depends.

I agree,, i understand the IIFYM concept, however, we do have to decide IF and HOW it could work for each of us. we may NOT be able to do IIFYM, or may be able to do it somewhat.. i mean we all in a way ARE working the nutrition in the IIFYM, but because someone else can eat a candy bar, does not mean I can, oh yeah i could but i wouldn't, if its going to cause my goals to be disrupted.

there was a book with a title awhile back that i liked "Thin Tastes Better". thats waht i say to a candy bar that would mess up my goals.

From my point of view, if you're saying that a Snicker's bar is a trigger food for you and you need to cut sugar out on a temporary basis to help you learn portion control, that is one thing. On the other hand, if you are saying that a single Snicker's bar (once every couple of days or so) is going to mess up your goals, then I couldn't disagree more strongly. One of the advantages of IIFYM, and one of the parts of it that I tend to push so strongly in the forums, is the idea that it gives one an objective yardstick to measure a particular food's impact one one's daily nutrition goals. Perhaps 1 Snicker's bar fits into someone's daily goals, perhaps it does not, but the approach avoids the eat a treat, feel guilty, beat yourself up, eat more to make yourself feel better, oh well might as well give up, vicious cycle that we all have seen people go through.

That said, not everyone values Snicker's bars the same in their diet. Perhaps it's Cocoa Puffs, ice cream, Pop Tarts, french fries, potato chips, cake, or fatty cuts of meat, etc. We all have a few items that we would love to indulge in on a daily or weekly basis. The point of IIFYM is to allow us to do so, in moderation, rather than feeling like we're constantly depriving ourselves of the joy that food brings us. Some people can eat more treats than others. A 200 pound man on a bulk who has been bodybuilding for 10 years is going to have more allowances for treats than a woman over 50 who does her daily walk but not much else. That isn't to say she can't enjoy a little ice cream on a daily basis if she likes. The trick is determining how much and whether she can eat it without immediately going for more. That's moderation and portion control, and it can be learned.

And, if we're honest here, we are all restricting ourselves to one degree or another if we're counting calories. Let's not make it more difficult on ourselves than we have to.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I ended yesterday with a bunch of calories left out there.

My biggest regret last night was that I went to bed without a Snickers in my belly. Send me all the Snickers please!!!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Just another vote for yes you can have chocolate or other treats regularly as long as you stay within your nutritional goals and eat mostly healthier more nutrient dense foods.

eta: having treats almost daily is what keeps me in line. If I said no treats, or one treat a week, I'd end up going crazy and losing control.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Can I have Butterfinger bars? I mean, really?! Somebody please send Butterfinger bars to me here in South Korea. I haven't seen one in 3 years!

I bought one out of our candy machine yesterday - ate 1/2 of it yesterday, the other half saved for this afternoon :)
  • sfhudgens
    sfhudgens Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    why is it all jumbled up?
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    yes
  • AnnaAnafi
    AnnaAnafi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes. To echo what others have said, keep it within reason and be accountable (log it) but don't beat yourself up over it.

You made a comment about it being a "chocolate." Not all chocolate is created equal. Could you get the same satisfaction out of having some dark chocolate covered peanuts or almonds? Could you find one of the alternatives to snickers (Justin's, Newman's Own) that aren't made with corn syrup?

Still - a calorie is a calorie but knowing what is in your food is important. Hydrogenated oils aren't good for cholesterol/heart health. The refined sugars do make your insulin levels spike but that's not going to slam on the breaks on your metabolism.

If we deny ourselves every food craving/pleasure, we usually end up binging later. Just the fact that you're conscious about what you're eating is great. Many people don't even think about what they stuff down their throats.

I've heard that Snickers really satisfies:)
  • duke0825
    duke0825 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    No amount of Candy commercials in my lifetime have sold me on eating a candy bar than this thread. The Mars corporation owes you money.
  • myfitnesspaller
    myfitnesspaller Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I guess one bar every 2-3 weeks won hurt. (or even once a week--that sounds good) :D
  • Hayloid1
    Options
    Perhaps not all calories are equal?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=what-makes-you-fat-too-many-calories-or-the-wrong-carbohydrates

I've definitely noticed if I eat chocolate, even if it's within my calories, I don't lose weight. But just because that's true for me, doesn't mean it's true for everyone.

If it's an occasional treat, I'm sure it's fine
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I am hungry.
  • PicoJulie
    Options
    Psychetruth - a great youtube channel! - actually talks about snickers bars in relation to macronutrients.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zyqyXTQhiw
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    if you are just sticking to a calorie deficit to loose weight then yes, if you are planning to get fit/go for runs/go for the gym, then it would be advisable to choose something with more of a nutritional value.

So what I am saying is, the only thing it will effect is how your body is feeling rather than how much weight you loose.
  • faithsimmons526
    faithsimmons526 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think the answer to your question is quite personal and should -- as another member mentioned -- take into consideration your relationship with food. Some people (myself included, but I'm working on it) tend to have a black/white attitude toward our calories ... if it isn't nutrient dense and health enhancing, it doesn't belong in our diet. This can lead to rigidity (can you say 'eating disorder' :laugh: ), self-denial and feelings that 'life isn't fair for people like me'. In black/white thinking, we also divide our lives into 'diet time' and 'back-to-normal time', which -- if my history is any indication -- leads to yo-yo dieting and lowered self esteem.

So, here's my (non-expert) thoughts: try to think of your weight-loss journey as a new lifestyle, then design it in a way that allows you to feel that you're not being deprived. If that means you allow yourself a few sweets or an occasional pizza, work it in. Otherwise, IMO, you might find yourself looking forward to the end of the diet to get back to the eating habits that brought you here in the first place.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I think the answer to your question is quite personal and should -- as another member mentioned -- take into consideration your relationship with food. Some people (myself included, but I'm working on it) tend to have a black/white attitude toward our calories ... if it isn't nutrient dense and health enhancing, it doesn't belong in our diet. This can lead to rigidity (can you say 'eating disorder' :laugh: ), self-denial and feelings that 'life isn't fair for people like me'. In black/white thinking, we also divide our lives into 'diet time' and 'back-to-normal time', which -- if my history is any indication -- leads to yo-yo dieting and lowered self esteem.

So, here's my (non-expert) thoughts: try to think of your weight-loss journey as a new lifestyle, then design it in a way that allows you to feel that you're not being deprived. If that means you allow yourself a few sweets or an occasional pizza, work it in. Otherwise, IMO, you might find yourself looking forward to the end of the diet to get back to the eating habits that brought you here in the first place.

Yes, #1 to the having a proper relationship with food and #2 - if you eat something that is considered an indulgence, a treat so to speak, then find a way to have it but really truly make it something you enjoy, not just mindless slacking, which is my suggestion for the day.

for example, if you really want Red Lobster, which is maybe higher in calories than you should eat on a daily baiss, but you really want it, then have it. But work your other nutrients around that so that the Red Lobster dinner will not hurt you but be ok in your day. If you do that, then you are learning to eat properly and allowing yourself something delicious, and if you can eat that and not go over and over and over every single day, then you have shown yourself that you can control your eating. Just balance it out with other things that may be lower in calories so you CAN have your treat.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    There is one answer and one answer only

YES YOU CAN

Don't know how this got to a 6page thread not much to discuss :huh:
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can. Sounds like you are learning a lot.

Should you? Only you can answer. One perspective is you should not if it will make you hungry. While sugar and carbohydrates don't affect everyone in the same way, it can lead some to greater hunger and cravings. If you aren't one of those folks, lucky you. If you are, you are about to find out...

I rather use my calories for foods that satisfy me. This is mostly protein and fats. Sigh. I love frozen snickers.