Ladies w/ long hair: how do u manage w/ ur exercise?

Options

Replies

• technobunny
    Options
    I only wash my hair twice a week. Since, cutting down on the washing my hair doesn't even get greasy after a work out. In fact, it usually feels amazing the day after. If for any reason it does feel a bit greasy, I use dry shampoo.

I wash my hair Saturdays and Wednesdays. Sundays I dont work so I usually braid it and not fuss with it, Monday I wear my hair down, curled with a wand. Tuesday also down. Wednesday, I wear it in a bun to work, and wash it after my workout and again, let it air dry. Rinse and repeat the rest of the week.

While I did insanity, I braided it and used a headband to keep my shorter layers out of my face and away from my back sweat. I am now doing CLX and I find I sweat quite a bit less.

Just to point out, when girls say they only wash their hair twice a week that doesn't mean they only shower twice a week. I shower everyday. Anywho, hope that helps.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Work out....

then Wash. Rinse. Repeat next day.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Wow, OP. It takes you an EXTRA 30 minutes in the shower just to wash your long hair? That's quite the process. I would be so bored if I spent more than 5 minutes total in a shower. I used to have hair down past my waist, but now it's only half way down my back, but when it was super long it never took me any longer to wash it. I don't wash my hair every day and I never use a blow dryer. I put my hair in a pony tail when I work out. That seems to work just fine for me.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Wow, OP. It takes you an EXTRA 30 minutes in the shower just to wash your long hair? That's quite the process. I would be so bored if I spent more than 5 minutes total in a shower. I used to have hair down past my waist, but now it's only half way down my back, but when it was super long it never took me any longer to wash it. I don't wash my hair every day and I never use a blow dryer. I put my hair in a pony tail when I work out. That seems to work just fine for me.

I can understand not wanting it to be too dry, but my hair has always been around shoulder length and is SUPER thick so I understand the time commitment to washing hair. I used to take 45min-1 hour showers when I was younger, then went to college and had to share a bathroom and cut down to 15 minutes. Hair length the same. So not understanding how it takes so much longer.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    My hair's about as long as yours. It doesn't take me an extra 30 minutes to wash it, but it does take a while to dry.

I don't like to wash/dry it daily, but I'm at the gym 5 or 6 days per week and I get pretty sweaty, including my hair. I find wearing braids helps. I sometimes use a dry shampoo, and other times I just put my hair up or back somehow. I end up washing my hair every other day, rather than daily.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    My hair is waist length and I use shampoo on it once a week. I don't need oil absorbers during the week. I let it air dry after washing, don't use any kind of product on a daily basis, and moisturize the bottom 18-24 inches overnight twice a month in raw coconut oil. For workouts, I go with a basic ponytail. Braids are pretty, but my hair is as fine and lightweight as threads of silk and my arms are not long enough to separate the sections all the way to the ends when French braiding, so I don't usually fuss with anything more than a quick bun or ponytail. If I don't want that "dent" a ponytail causes, I'll just leave it down during my workout.

OP, I learned from one of those celebrity stylists about 10 years ago that it was bad to use shampoo on your hair every day because it strips the natural oils and causes overproduction of sebum which leads to greasy, stringy hair within a day. He said it takes several months, but it was beneficial to retrain your scalp and slowly extend the time between washings to 1-2 weeks for women, 2-4 weeks for men. It did take several months of stretching it one more day every few weeks, but he was right. And for the first time in my life, my hair is to my waist because I haven't needed to whack off 6-10 inches a year of dry, brittle ends. I thought it was neat when you mentioned infrequent washings.
  • Mady1911
    Mady1911 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Really happy u asked this. My hair is down to my jeans belt, I work out about 5 times a week. About 2 inches from the root gets absolutely soaked, so one day I use dry shampoo at the roots and next day I wash it. And dry it half way, especially at the roots. I mentioned this as few years ago I used to wash and let it air dry. I started getting terrible headaches and took doctors months to learn it is actually sinusitis, after series of blood tests and changing my contraceptives about 4 times.
    I love my hair and wouldn't cut it for nothing. I guess it's an extra sacrifice we need to make!
  • kathrynm4
    kathrynm4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    DRY SHAMPOO is the answer!!

I work out every day and have long hair, I use this loads and it gives it extra volume also which is a bonus :smile: I couldn't cope without it!

Kate
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I jut put my hair in a high bun.

And no, I don't wash my hair after it. It dries out my hair. I wash it twice a week.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    My hair is long and I don't wash it after every training session because my scalp would be really dry! I find the hair dries and doesn't smell after a workout, it gets washed about twice a week even with training 6 days a week.
  • deanconnors3
    deanconnors3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Not a lady, but mine was down to my lower back until three weeks ago. Washed it after every workout, five to six times a week, and always let it air dry. Would get the occassional dirty look as I was heading back to the desk with a wet head, but then again most guys in government offices with hair down their back get dirty looks anyways.

^^I love this!!^^:bigsmile:

So did the vast majority of the ladies where I worked, although some did openly express their envy. Like my boss. :happy: And for OP, I use an organic line from Design based on Olive Oil, shampoo and conditioner both. Even with every day washing I have never had dry hair or dry scalp.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    what on earth are you doing to your hair that requires a 30 min wash? mine is down to my bottom and i wash it in two or three minutes!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    what on earth are you doing to your hair that requires a 30 min wash? mine is down to my bottom and i wash it in two or three minutes!

Kinda what I was wondering. Most women with long hair that I know don't wash it every day. I wash mine once a week. And it takes 5 min, tops.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lxo5s0EpuY1r1c49to1_500.gif

Guffaw
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm only coming back here because I REALLY want to know what the OP does to her hair that takes 30 minutes to wash it??
  • tarotlou
    tarotlou Posts: 47
    Options
    I've long hair nearly hip,length, I wash clip it up, plaits or bun, air dry. Use dry shampoo, just rinse and go if your hair is sweaty. This heat plus excercise makes me want to cut my hair as putting it up all the time can give me a headache. Resisting them scissors as well as my obsession with chocolate :smile:
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair every other day, any longer than that and it gets stinky. Smelling other peoples "heads" because they infrequently wash their hair is DISGUSTING!!!!

I use dry shampoo on off days and after work outs, though. It helps a lot. Also, my hair only gets greasy on the top of my head by my forehead, so I do days with my hair half up half down, headbands, etc.

Dry shampoo, dry shampoo, dry shampoo.

If you can't afford it, baby powder.
  • moni_tb_192
    moni_tb_192 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair every other day. My hair is kinda dry, so it doesn't get greasy after a day, but if it does, I use dry shampoo.

When working out, my favorite hairstyles are braids, ponytails and buns. Something I can't do without is bobby pins!
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    My hair is thick and course, and only a few inches from my waist. AND I have a demi-permanent color in it that I love! So for obvious reasons, I don't want to wash it any more than I want to. I usually pull my hair up into a pony-tail & either braid it or then put other bands down the length when I run.

To wash my hair, I use a color depositing shampoo. I lather, let it sit for 2 mins, rinse, then repeat. Then the conditioner, and, even the bottle doesn't say to, I usually let it sit for about 1 min before I rinse it out. Since I only wash my hair about 2 times a week, during the in-between times, I either use dry shampoo, or headbands...or the old stand by of hats!

I know my hair can take a long time to dry with a dryer, so... I don't. Air dry all the way.

But 30 minutes to wash?? As you saw above, with the depositing shampoo, that's only 5 minutes there, then with the rinsing, add another, sake of argument, 5 minutes, that's 10 minutes. Unless she was adding up the whole shower?