How often do you record your weight?

Options
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm new here and dont seem to find a topic on it anywhere.
I have recorded my original weight when I signed up few days ago. I was meaning to wait a week and then record again.
I am pretty obsessive at the moment and weigh myself every day, so I noticed that I have already dropped a couple of pounds....it does vary from early morning to late night by a couple of pounds each day.
So.....should I wait the 7 days and record it then.....or record it each time I see a different number on a scale...I realize this isnt an exact science...but what is recommended? Also....if you gain a pound or two do you add it...or just wait for it to be lost again?

How do you guys do it??

Replies

• howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Yes it's been asked before! It is totally up to you. The general recommendation is that you weigh and record once per week, same day and first thing in the morning. Daily weigh-ins will reflect fluctuations which can be several pounds and this can be frustrating. Good Luck!
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily first thing in the morning but I only record it once a week. Even if I go up, I still record it.
  • PinkLotus4
    PinkLotus4 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your responses and Tawanda....when you add weight does it also broadcast it in your feed to your friends....lol...that would be horrible....
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I log it when I lose. That's all.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    once a month even if it is a gain....
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I weight once a week but only record losses...I actually haven't had any gains but stayed the same a lot...
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Once or twice a week here on MFP.

For my own personal record I record it once a month on the same date that I started my whole fitness / weight loss journey.
  • davidrapp5
    Options
    I stick to once a week. Any more than that and it feels like I'm obsessing, which isn't good, either.
  • Bobbiezilla
    Bobbiezilla Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I only record when I lose.
  • Bell_Lucci
    Bell_Lucci Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday before breakfast but only record it once a week.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    everytime I have a loss I record it.

when I don't have a loss I don't record it.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    When you record a gain, it does not report it to your friends list thankfully lol. Your ticker will change but that is all. That morning to night fluctuation is very normal, though, so try not to obsess. Pick a time of day to weigh if you're going to do it daily, and keep it consistent. For most of us, it's in the morning after waking up. I record once a week on Friday.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I only recorded losses, so when weight fluctuated it'd be a while before I got to record again...LOL
    When I got close to my goal I stopped recording my weight.
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I log it when I lose. That's all.

haha yup
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Daily.

www.TrendWeight.com is an awesome tool to help with this.
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself every morning because I find the fluctuations curious (like I'll weigh myself again after my shower to see if I weigh more "soaking wet*"), but I only record losses. I'm sure it's purely vanity and no, I don't think MFP broadcasts gains.

*I don't.
  • MarileeP
    MarileeP Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Once a week, lose or gain, and no, when you gain it does not report that on your wall, thank goodness :smile:
  • RedsknU2
    RedsknU2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    As I use a Fitbit Aria scale - and I obsess about the scale (yes - I know - not positive) AND my trainer and nutritionist has asked that I weigh daily at the same time every day - first thing - I weigh daily, and Aria records it in MFP daily.

Not trying to overload folks feed - but since I desire both to be connected to MFP - that is just how it records.
  • Elvira2014
    Elvira2014 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just joined the site. I weigh myself every morning and have been writing it down. I dont count the through the day etc weight as of course as you eat or drink through the day will change your weight. My opinion any way. Hope this helps ! :-)