Cos Play

Options

Replies

• toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Having my first cosplay this coming February. I'll be going as Poison Ivy. I always wanted to dress up for a con but I usually go right when it starts and end up being to lazy to get ready beforehand. Plus having a backpack to hold all my comics kind of ruins the look but I'm making my boyfriend be my bag ***** this time around.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Question, is CosPlay just about wearing a cool costume? Or do you actually "play," as in use a script or ad lib the role of whatever character's costume you are wearing?

I always assumed it was both, but based on some responses here, I'm beginning to wonder.

LARPing is Live Action Role Play, where you play as the person you're dressed as in a game setting. Cosplay is just dressing up for the sake of dressing up. :)

Oh, ok. Thanks! I guess the word "play" is what confused me. It doesn't seem like playing to just wear a costume.
    Some people try to stay in character while in costume, but that's not the norm by far. At conventions there are also competitions for cosplayers where you have the option of performing a skit as the character that you write and perform yourself. But again, this isn't necessary to cosplay.

Cosplay is pretty much dressing up in something that is a costume for you. While gothic lolita is a fashion type, if you have one gothic lolita outfit that you only wear to a convention then it's a cosplay costume. All children who dress up for Halloween are cosplaying. You can buy a costume, or make it, or assemble it from thrift store purchases, replicate a comic book character perfectly, interpret a non-human cartoon character into a gown, whatever. It's pretty loosely-defined.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I've been cosplaying at Dragon*Con for 10 years now. I'm really looking forward to it again this weekend.
  • kellyhdent
    Options
    I've been tempted to cosplay as Loki or Thor for New York Comicon this year...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Question, is CosPlay just about wearing a cool costume? Or do you actually "play," as in use a script or ad lib the role of whatever character's costume you are wearing?

I always assumed it was both, but based on some responses here, I'm beginning to wonder.

LARPing is Live Action Role Play, where you play as the person you're dressed as in a game setting. Cosplay is just dressing up for the sake of dressing up. :)

Oh, ok. Thanks! I guess the word "play" is what confused me. It doesn't seem like playing to just wear a costume.

I don't know... my kids "played" in their Bleach soul reaper costumes last Halloween. But they didn't formally act anything out.

Maybe for grown-ups it's enough to just be in a costume. The kids got it right, I think. :bigsmile:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Some people try to stay in character while in costume, but that's not the norm by far. At conventions there are also competitions for cosplayers where you have the option of performing a skit as the character that you write and perform yourself. But again, this isn't necessary to cosplay.

Cosplay is pretty much dressing up in something that is a costume for you. While gothic lolita is a fashion type, if you have one gothic lolita outfit that you only wear to a convention then it's a cosplay costume. All children who dress up for Halloween are cosplaying. You can buy a costume, or make it, or assemble it from thrift store purchases, replicate a comic book character perfectly, interpret a non-human cartoon character into a gown, whatever. It's pretty loosely-defined.

Thanks for that. I had never heard of it until my daughter mentioned it. She wants to go to California though, so I told her we could get stuff for the costume, but California is out of the question, unfortunately. (We're in Missouri.)
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Well, my plan is to have an alt Chris Redfield from RE6 if instead of going BSAA he went umbrella instead, so this one is unique. I'll edit this post with a couple of others...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
  • LeakieChan
    LeakieChan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Once I lose enough weight, I want to Cosplay as Poison Ivy, Rogue, Star Fire, maybe Sailor Jupiter or maybe as Jean gray too... I think it looks super fun!

You would make a terrific Rogue!
    [/quote

when I was 20 I had my hair dyed exactly like hers with the big white blonde streak in the front. she has always been my favorite X-Man
  • ireallylikemuffins
    ireallylikemuffins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I cosplayed before when I was in high school, but the anime conventions near me are so big that I don't know if I'd want to go to them any longer. :-/

Ideally, I'd love to cosplay the heck out of some magical girls. If it's sparkly and sequinned, I'd want to wear it.
  • Deja_Thoris
    Deja_Thoris Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ok - since we're doing pics.... I had posted these already in another Cosplay thread, but here were my three looks for Calgary Expo this year:

8693854231_a20c799594.jpg

BTW mruntidy your prop-making skills are amazing!
  • LordOberon
    LordOberon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I vote Shepard, but just because love Mass Effect cosplay!
  • LordOberon
    LordOberon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I wouldn,t want to go to Comic Con. So many people and such long lines!
  • Chasem1984
    Options
    If I ever get the chance to do cosplay at comcon or any of the cons, I am so there. It would be my nerd pilgramage.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options

from what I've seen, there are people that just walk around in costume, but the ones that compete actually have to act out a bit. cloud vs sephiroth, sora vs heartless or nobodies.
  • Maidofmer
    Options
    awesome. did you just march around or compete? seriously, that's frickin cool

We did both, got second place for group. The best part though was we would find a spot and stand still next to other convention props and when people would get close to take pictures, we would scare the hell out of them.

congrats on winning! and scaring the hell outta people. that's a win of epic proportions lol
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    My inner geek is liking this thread.
  • Maidofmer
    Options
    wow! did not expect this to take off. thought one or two more posts since I left last night but this is awesome! i'm all giddy and more pumped up to lose this weight and go! To those of you that did pics, loved them! beautiful and sexy, and just badassness. loved the resident evil night vision goggles. for the skimpy bit, hell, i'd love to go as bettie page as a rocketeer or as felicia the cat girl. show off my hard work. show my husband the true trophy wife he deserves. go as alice from American magee. oh I'm so stoked!
  • LeakieChan
    LeakieChan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My inner geek is liking this thread.

i'm sure the geekdome will welcome you with open arms :)
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    wow! did not expect this to take off. thought one or two more posts since I left last night but this is awesome! i'm all giddy and more pumped up to lose this weight and go! To those of you that did pics, loved them! beautiful and sexy, and just badassness. loved the resident evil night vision goggles. for the skimpy bit, hell, i'd love to go as bettie page as a rocketeer or as felicia the cat girl. show off my hard work. show my husband the true trophy wife he deserves. go as alice from American magee. oh I'm so stoked!

Hey that's what my biggest motivator is now, not a six pack, not being lean, not really anything gym related, the gym and diet just became a catalyst for making myself look badass in a costume :D

My plan to do an original Punisher costume fell through for this October after I decided it was a good idea to injure myself trying to get Chris Redfield size arms too quickly :( so instead this yeah I will be doing three hopefully for October weekend; Resident Evil Apocolypse UBCS soldier which all I am now missing is the watch and its 100% screen accurate, Defected Chris Redfield and a Slytherin Quidditch Uniform as well for sunday as it is only a short day - though this one may fall by the wayside until November based on time :D

This threads pretty good it's more active than the cosplay group :P
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Well, my plan is to have an alt Chris Redfield from RE6 if instead of going BSAA he went umbrella instead, so this one is unique. I'll edit this post with a couple of others...

image.jpg

Dat Tusken Raider!!

I've been looking for a female Boba Fett costume for a while but don't have the time to make my own *boohoo*

I'm going to the London Film and Comic Con this winter, torn between going as Harley Quinn, Queen Amidala, Black Widow or Extremis Pepper Potts :\