michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm mirin your legs/ high kick

Thank you :smile:
  • emc916
    emc916 Posts: 77
    Options
    two words - compound lifts...

get familiar with squats, deadlifts, over head press, pull ups, chin ups, bench press...learn these moves and then incorporate them into a weekly routine. You could do an upper/lower split with some cardio on Wednesday and then Saturday off and make walk/swim on Sunday or something like that ...

Not sure what your current calorie deficit is, but you should probably set it at about 500 calorie deficit a week and go from there..

Pretty much this
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I know im a girl so you may not take my advice that seriously

What??

Yup. Some of the absolute best advice and success I have seen on these forums has been from women. Don't down play yourself.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Getting ripped is all about body fat, not building muscle. To get ripped you need to get your body fat down around 10% (or less.)

The loose skin is the bigger problem, lifting weights can help with that, but depending on how much skin there is, you may need to look into surgery to get it removed.

As for lifting, go with big compound lifts. Heavy weight, lower reps. Based on your starting weight, you have a high degree of muscle mass already, so the focus should be more on retaining that while lowering body fat.
    Exactly what I was gonna say, the skin will be so stretched out the OP will either have to build the muscle big enough to fill out that loose skin which I doubt will happen without the use of steroids, get the muscles as big as possible and wait for the skin to tighten or look at surgery.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Getting ripped is all about body fat, not building muscle. To get ripped you need to get your body fat down around 10% (or less.)

The loose skin is the bigger problem, lifting weights can help with that, but depending on how much skin there is, you may need to look into surgery to get it removed.

As for lifting, go with big compound lifts. Heavy weight, lower reps. Based on your starting weight, you have a high degree of muscle mass already, so the focus should be more on retaining that while lowering body fat.

This is excellent advice.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • jerendeb
    jerendeb Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your victory. You've really worked hard and it shows. Your body fat must have dropped many % points. Besides the lifting I am wondering about another option.

I AM NOT A PHYSICIAN NOR QUALIFIED TO SUGGEST THIS,

Have you looked into or thought about surgery to take that extra skin off. I doubt it will ever fully tighten up. You may qualify. Of course I don't know what your medical finances are like in regard to insurance, etc.

You remind me of some of those picked on Extreme Weight Loss. I am inspired by their victories too.

If I have spoken out of turn or offended you I can assure you I only mean well.

Jere
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your victory. You've really worked hard and it shows. Your body fat must have dropped many % points. Besides the lifting I am wondering about another option.

I AM NOT A PHYSICIAN NOR QUALIFIED TO SUGGEST THIS,

Have you looked into or thought about surgery to take that extra skin off. I doubt it will ever fully tighten up. You may qualify. Of course I don't know what your medical finances are like in regard to insurance, etc.

You remind me of some of those picked on Extreme Weight Loss. I am inspired by their victories too.

If I have spoken out of turn or offended you I can assure you I only mean well.

Jere

You skin WILL tighten up some naturally over time so i would suggest maintaining this loss and strength training before considering having the skin removed. It may not end up being that big of a deal, however, it may not improve.

Just saying i would wait before i consider to see if it improves at all.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I suspect many are not realizing that you are only showing half the picture.

Resized:

140xnqs.jpg

Great job, and yeah - what everybody else said. I'm in a similar boat as you having started out at 382, so thanks for sharing.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I just had to say awesome progress man. Good on you for taking your life back - massive kudos!

To reiterate the previous posts that made sense:
    Keep lifting heavy, the routine you chose is secondary to actually making steady progress, but a strength or hybrid program (eg 5x5) will be just fine.
    Keep at a low to moderate caloric deficit to lose some more body fat. The lower your bf% the better your body will respond to building muscle (which is complicated but it has to do with insulin sensitivity and calorie partitioning when in caloric surplus).

I would also consider surgery at some point if you are not happy with the loose skin. It is a common issue and only you can decide if you want to go down that path. Check out Ed's story. http://www.gettingfit4life.com/author/admin/

Well done, and good luck for the next chapter!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I have friends that lift weights and they all say low weights lots of reps and they are all ripped

negative ghost rider....
  • Eandretta96
    Options
    The posts in this thread :( I thought we were past all this. Good job to NDJ and some of the female posters ITT though! What I don't get is why people don't research their stuff before giving advice instead of relying on "my friend said."
  • Eandretta96
    Options

Isn't it low rep ranges of 5-6 to build mass, but 10-12 for muscle hypertrophy.
    U wot?
  • Eandretta96
    Options
    I have friends that lift weights and they all say low weights lots of reps and they are all ripped

negative ghost rider....
    Bro, how do I tone my upper left ab? High reps or should I start taking creatine?
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

negative ghost rider....
    Bro, how do I tone my upper left ab? High reps or should I start taking creatine?

Tense when squat-rack curling.
  • Eandretta96
    Options

negative ghost rider....

I have tried that. Maybe I need to work on my mind- skeleton connection so I can target that tendon better.
  • Shadowknight137
    Options

negative ghost rider....

I have tried that. Maybe I need to work on my mind- skeleton connection so I can target that tendon better.

Get someone to spin the weights at each end of the barbell.

That gravity, bro.
  • Eandretta96
    Options

negative ghost rider....

That gravity, bro.
    What is that physics? I didn't know it was important for muscle shaping. Thank bro! Quick question? What do I do when I have to use the bathroom? I have to go really bad but I don't want to lose my gains.
  • Shadowknight137
    Options

negative ghost rider....

That gravity, bro.
    What is that physics? I didn't know it was important for muscle shaping. Thank bro! Quick question? What do I do when I have to use the bathroom? I have to go really bad but I don't want to lose my gains.

Take one scoop casein pre-bathroom and immediately take a scoop of whey post-excretion. Two scoops if you're really serious about your gains.

i-got-your-back.gif
  • Eandretta96
    Options

negative ghost rider....

That gravity, bro.

Take one scoop casein pre-bathroom and immediately take a scoop of whey post-excretion. Two scoops if you're really serious about your gains.

i-got-your-back.gif
    Will you cup your hands in times of need?