Calorie shocker!

Options

Replies

• usamackem
    usamackem Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Margarine! I'd have three bits of Target nutty bread with healthy Choice margarine and jelly for breakfast. 160 per slice of bread , 80 for the margarine and 8 for the jelly. Breakfast is now a 100 cal muffin and low fat cream cheese.
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Well, I just joined today and entered what I was planning to eat/drink. I was shocked to learn I couldn't have even one coke or it would put me over my allotted sugars for the day. Super sad day in the life of a coke addict.
    Soda is my hardest thing too
  • septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My big shocker was NUTS. I always thought they were this great healthy snack, but they have almost twice as many calories as anything else I consider a snack. Now I look at them as more a supplement to a light meal.
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    beer shocker: my favorite specialty holiday brew, 214 colories per bottle. so sad. so so sad.
    juice: also a big shocker for me. i started eating instead of drinking my fruit, and it made a HUGE difference.
    bread: i love bread, so i hated accepting the fact that my penchant for dinner rolls added hundreds of calories to a meal... bummer. i've just had to cut a lot of bread out of my diet.
  • FeelinChastastic
    Options
    I don't think the shock factor every really wears off. I've been making smarter, healthier decisions for almost a year now and I'm still surprised by the amount of calories and sodium in certain things.

How many people have eaten Reese's Peanut Butter Cups? EVERYONE! And I'm sure numerous folks have even eaten the King Size quantity of 4.... ONE Reese's Cup has 105 calories and 10g sugar! It's insane! I couldn't count on all of my loved ones fingers and toes how many Reese's Cups I've eaten in my life time.
  • DebBee83
    DebBee83 Posts: 30
    Options
    Carl's Jr - Double Western Bacon Cheeseburger 1000 Calories for 1 burger! yeehaa! There are others even higher.

Wow! I always knew they were bad for me. One of those burgers would be most of my calorie goal for the day. I've set my goal to lose a pound a week, and I'm pretty short at 5'2". I just can't eat as much as I thought. :noway:
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I was surprised how many calories were in a peanut butter jelly sandwich, a staple that I had for lunch a few times a week. I used to get 7 or 12 grain bead that was 120-140 PER slice, probably used more than 2 TBSP peanut butter and the jam just tacked on crazy sugar.

I rarely eat a PBJ now. I eat my peanut butter off of a spoon or on a banana. Never have jam.

It kind of sucks getting used to, but luckily for me I saw crazy good changes in my body that I work my *kitten* off for. So, keeping this body brings me more satisfaction than eating whatever I want.
  • DebBee83
    DebBee83 Posts: 30
    Options
    Not that I ever thought milk shakes were low calorie, but the most shocking thing I've discovered so far is that for a MINI (not even a small) peanut butter fudge shake, at Sonic, is 760 calories. I guess I knew they'd be high, but that really shocked me.

I was shocked to find that McDonald's small chocolate shake was 550 calories. I thought it was soft serve low fat ice milk with a little chocolate.

Yeah, milkshakes can be ridiculously high in calories! If you order one of the larger sizes with a burger, you could be eating well over a meal with the milkshake alone. Then when you add the burger...geez it adds up.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Bread was actually a surprise for me. It just seems so light and airy, it shouldn't have that many calories!
  • lauralgreen
    lauralgreen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i'm surprised at what certain food serving size is. like my daughter loves to eat chocolate chips and one serving of that is 1 tbsp with 70 caloires per serving. my hardest thing is measuring out the food.
  • KarmaKills
    KarmaKills Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was shocked at how much sugar fruits contain. I guess it shoulda been a no brainer. lol
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    i'm surprised at what certain food serving size is. like my daughter loves to eat chocolate chips and one serving of that is 1 tbsp with 70 caloires per serving. my hardest thing is measuring out the food.

Sure that is a tablespoon's worth?

Calories is based on weight actually (1 gram fat is 9 cal, ect), a measuring translation is put there for your convenience, and is many times very off.

Weigh what you think is a tablespoon, that is much easier than trying to measure anyway. Just pile it on the scale until the weight for a serving is reached, usually given in grams anyway.

Liquids are measured.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Hummus!
  • jojowick44
    jojowick44 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can't believe that carrots have carbs. I was shocked. Learning, that's what we're supposed to do, right?
  • fatnat777
    Options
    I was shocked at the cheese and 1% milk.....crazy. Trying to cut back on both. I've been at this less than a week and I am already adding in more exercise!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Pie … especially from restaurants. 1 slice can start at 300 or 400 calories (for the fruit kinds) and get up near 1000 for the "fancy" ones. And that's usually after a not-so-great-for-you dinner, too.

There are some things that I see are "high" calories that I think are worth it:
    Whole wheat bread (110 calories per slice for the kind I get, but fiber and complex carbs and vitamins, so 1 or 2 slices a day isn't bad)
    Cheese (110 calories per ounce … have to be careful with the serving, but calcium and protein and oh so tasty)
    Peanut butter (~100 calories per tablespoon, again protein and good fat, and again measure!!)
    Fruit (yes, plenty of sugar, but also fiber and all sorts of vitamins, and the sugar allowance was meant for added sugar)
    etc

I think the big thing is to be aware of serving sizes. I've seen people say "cheese is only 100 calories" and then cut themselves a big hunk that is 2-3 times that. And there is definitely a value in food that has nutrients with the calories, like many people have said. It's far better to eat a 500 calorie meal that has protein, vitamins, essential minerals, healthy fats, etc (well balanced, in other words) than to eat a 500 calorie milkshake or handful of cookies for your meal.

Calories are not the bad guys. Empty calories are even okay, with a lot of moderation. Not being aware of how much your taking in can certainly be a problem :laugh: But don't start avoiding foods that are healthy, or banning your favorite treats entirely, because you're afraid of the calories!!
  • armadillolabrat
    armadillolabrat Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I found the amount of calories in peanut butter and tofu surprising .
  • WestCoastWild
    WestCoastWild Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Nutritional Yeast! I never thought to log it before, and just learned today that it has tons of calories. I like sprinkling it on top of things, but may have to reign it in from now on, haha.
  • AmandaForKeeps
    AmandaForKeeps Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was less surprised by calories and more surprised at what a portion really is. a REAL tablespoon of peanut butter is not a lot when you thought you were only putting a tablespoon of peanut butter on your toast then find out it was closer to almost 3.

This exactly! Getting a scale changed everything for me! I was eating wayyyyy too much cereal!! I realized that I was overestimating on most things. It all adds up.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    Options
    Small Oreo McFlurry at MacD's, 400 calories! When I found that out here on MFP, those had to go.