Meatless Monday

Options
13»

Replies

• Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Josh, I have a lot of hunters in my family and although I don't eat meat I would likely eat some of theirs if the offered it to me (they live a fair distance away so it hasn't come up). My bf was talking about fishing and doing a catch and release because he wanted to stay vegetarian. I said that was really silly, if you want to fish, then eat the darn fish lol.

I totally agree that variety is the spice of life. Even dedicated meat eaters would do well to look at more vegetarian dishes, even just as a part of a meal with meat, there are so many amazing creative recipes online now, why not :)
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I for one choose death.
    Meat meat meat meat meat. Meat all day everyday. MEAT.

Wow! I want to see your intestines in a few years ;) lol
    That is some SERIOUS addiction speaking there!
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    One reason given in support of Meatless Mondays is that it reduces saturated fats. No way do I want to do that. I add extra saturated fat every day because I want to be healthy.

The whole idea that red meat is unhealthy is ridiculous. Get your beef from healthy sources & it is a very healthy food. The foods they say to eat instead are what I avoid because I value my health.

I have days when I don't consume red meat but those days have chicken, wild-caught fish, whole eggs, etc. I'd have no problem eating grass-fed beef every day but it isn't in the budget.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options
    I for one choose death.

That some scary *kitten*, wanting to see someones intestines.:happy:
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I for one choose death.

That some scary *kitten*, wanting to see someones intestines.:happy:

with some fava beans and a nice chianti...
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    ohsheglows.com has some great stuff I am vegan so yeah I think I can do that lol but seriously there are some great recipes on youtube.com and many wonderful sites about this :)
  • lesliefence
    Options
    Now that the weather is cooling down, does anyone have a favorite fall time veggie dish? Looking for some new inspiration with all the fresh autumn vegetables currently out at the Farmers Markets? How is meatless Monday going?
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    We eat no meat on more days than just Monday, but there's a few reasons to do it.
    1) I can buy more food when I buy less meat.
    I bought 2x as much meat last week and wasn't able to buy as much of other foods.
    (fresh, canned, & frozen produce, pastas, etc.) But then again I buy everything organic.
    2) If you eat conventional meats it cuts back on pollution being dumped into rivers, and oceans,
    and the air. Cows from feed lots produce a lot more carbon dioxide than cars/trucks do.
    3)It takes about 2,500 gallons of fresh water to produce 1 pound of beef.

Meatless Mondays was started to help "save the planet".
    The idea is if each person can cut out at least 1 meal of meat a week, it would make a huge difference,
    and if you could cut out a whole day, even more so.
    Hence Meatless Mondays. :)
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Now that the weather is cooling down, does anyone have a favorite fall time veggie dish? Looking for some new inspiration with all the fresh autumn vegetables currently out at the Farmers Markets? How is meatless Monday going?

I just made a vegetarian shepherds pie (I needed to use up some leftover garlic mashed potatoes) to have in a few days.

Soups are good, veggie with barley, minestrone, vegetable noodle, bean soup, whatever you can imagine.

I also like to make lasagna using thinly sliced zucchini instead of noodles.
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

I love, love, love fall foods :) And I'm vegetarian (the rare, occasional seafood though) so everyday is meatless for me. (my diary is open, feel free to poke around for ideas or add me!)

My husband wanted mexican this weekend, but I was feeling the fall weather and wanted fall foods... so we combined them... i made black bean pumpkin enchiladas... YUM. I couldn't decide which recipe to use so I used this one:
    http://mealmakeovermoms.com/kitchen/2013/03/21/a-recipe-for-black-bean-enchiladas-with-pumpkin-sauce-and-a-celebration-of-cilantro-for-the-recipe-redux/
    (i didn't use nearly that much onion, and I subbed taco seasoning for chili powder and i skipped the cilantro)
    I also had added a little bit of the pumpkin to the enchilada sauce. I topped it with black olives, chopped tomatos, more cheese, and avocados. And I had it with pumpkin beer. :drinker:

Another veggie fall dish is shepard's pie. There's a million recipes out there and I usually just wing it now, but it's a layer of "meat", then mashed potatos, then cheese. For the meat part, in the past I made it using the soy ground meat (boca, morningstar, etc. all make one), but the last couple times I used lentils. Mushrooms are perfect in this dish to give it a heartier, meatier texture too.

Chili is also good. A good hearty bean chili (I usually use 2-3 types of beans, taco seasoning, tomatos, and some veggies) is good on it's own or make it "fall" by throwing in sweet potato or pumpkin.... YUM.
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My employer launched a campaign years ago called Meatless Mondays to encourage us to eat more veggies and allow your creative food juices to flow without meat. Several in my office are now vegetarians as a result and other staff feel they save money on meatless Monday.

If my employer decided to meddle with the personal eating habits of their employees, I'd probably quit.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I am pescetarian (vegetarian except you eat fish/dairy/eggs) feel free to check out my diary for some vegetarian ideas :)
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    We generally do one or two meatless nights per week, not necessarily Monday. It's more for budgetary reasons than anything else.

On those nights we usually have baked potatoes with either crustless quiche or tomato soup, or otherwise just pasta with marinara. We're not fancy.

Sometimes we have just pancakes or waffles. YUM.