people aren't different?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Please tell me where i said anything about calorie deficit not working?

if 100 people ate the exact same things and performed the exact same exercises... nothing less and nothing more. their bodies would not repspond the same.... hence the difference.

people are different, we behave differently, and our bodies react differently to different approaches.

and again my point is why the need to try to belittle people about it? where's the helpfulness in it? what's the point in it?

"what works for some doesn't work for all. "
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Remember: You're special and unique, just like everyone else.

:wink:
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    where's the none sarcastic, nonjudgmental, useful help?
    LOL. [insert snarky gif here]. Boom.
  • vjw221
    vjw221 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

if 100 people ate the exact same things and performed the exact same exercises... nothing less and nothing more. their bodies would not repspond the same.... hence the difference.

people are different, we behave differently, and our bodies react differently to different approaches.

and again my point is why the need to try to belittle people about it? where's the helpfulness in it? what's the point in it?

lol...... and which of those words is "calorie" or "deficit" ?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Genetics are a lot more complicated than hair and eye colour. Because you probably don't want me to launch into a huge lecture on human genetics, I am going to link to an article that breaks it up pretty nicely.

Yes, you look different than the guy standing next to you in the elevator. No, your body is not different in terms of how it functions. As the article says, "Almost all human genetic variation is relatively insignificant biologically— that is, it has no apparent adaptive significance."

http://science.education.nih.gov/supplements/nih1/genetic/guide/genetic_variation1.htm

Almost all...

That sounds like it is relatively significant for a few people, one might even call them "special", like a snowflake.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

It's implied that you're referring to caloric deficits, OP, because "special snowflake" is a term used almost exclusively for healthy (meaning no medical conditions that would inhibit weight loss) people who are saying "Oh em gee. I'm eating at a deficit and STILL not losing. Guess I'm just different! Ha-ha-ha."

As for your "where's the nice help" comments, there's plenty of that here, too. It's just generally not apparent when people are making excuses for themselves.
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I would agree that in general, yes most people are the same. I do believe the difference in why things work for some and not others is varying daily activity level and THIS is what accounts for the snowflake syndrome. You have to dig deeper than age, height, gender. I absolutely believe in snowflakes.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Because this is the internet, and people tend to say things they wouldn't say to a person's face.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    People who generally throw out the "Special Snowflake" remark are the ones that have done good research and are doing really well with weight loss/maintenance. They are also the most helpful people if you are willing to learn/listen to them and be ready to follow the advise.
    Weight loss is simple but not easy, but most people who cry about plateau want it to be easy.
    Weight loss involves accurate calorie counting, weighing of food, measuring activity properly, proper and regular logging.
    Most people who crib do not do most/all of the above and then complain about weight loss which = "you are not special snowflake" remark.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    ALL of my weight loss and fitness success came after I accepted that I wasn't a special snowflake. Almost everything I learned about weight loss and fitness, I learned from people who emphasized that point.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    People who generally throw out the "Special Snowflake" remark are the ones that have done good research and are doing really well with weight loss/maintenance. They are also the most helpful people if you are willing to learn/listen to them and be ready to follow the advise.
    Weight loss is simple but not easy, but most people who cry about plateau want it to be easy.
    Weight loss involves accurate calorie counting, weighing of food, measuring activity properly, proper and regular logging.
    Most people who crib do not do most/all of the above and then complain about weight loss which = "you are not special snowflake" remark.

It's not helpful to tell someone they can't be a special snowflake without even learning if they are or not.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    ALL of my weight loss and fitness success came after I accepted that I wasn't a special snowflake. Almost everything I learned about weight loss and fitness, I learned from people who emphasized that point.

Just curious, what did you think was special about you before?
  • vjw221
    vjw221 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

It's implied that you're referring to caloric deficits, OP, because "special snowflake" is a term used almost exclusively for healthy (meaning no medical conditions that would inhibit weight loss) people who are saying "Oh em gee. I'm eating at a deficit and STILL not losing. Guess I'm just different! Ha-ha-ha."

As for your "where's the nice help" comments, there's plenty of that here, too. It's just generally not apparent when people are making excuses for themselves.

well i didn't mean to imply that. i simply made a statement that "what works for some doesn't work for all"
    if someone wants to turn that into some hidden meaning that's great! but don't then try and say i said one thing when i didn't

and for clarification. what works.... eating at x deficit and working out in x way for many doesn't work for all. or eating at a certain macros doesn't work for all. cardio 7 times a week doesn't work for all. and eating tons of protein doesn't work for all.

people have to find what does work for them hence being special. would much rather do what's right for my body than someone else's.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    and just because......

tumblr_m86frdvgaL1rwcc6bo1_400.gif
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

well i didn't mean to imply that. i simply made a statement that "what works for some doesn't work for all"
    if someone wants to turn that into some hidden meaning that's great! but don't then try and say i said one thing when i didn't

and for clarification. what works.... eating at x deficit and working out in x way for many doesn't work for all. or eating at a certain macros doesn't work for all. cardio 7 times a week doesn't work for all. and eating tons of protein doesn't work for all.

people have to find what does work for them hence being special. would much rather do what's right for my body than someone else's.

Exactly the issue people who are getting no results have, instead of focusing on creating a deficit they are fretting about how many times to do cardio a week or what macros to run or to eat clean or not
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

^ this is true.

Sadly, the argument could easily be settled by saying both sides are right, because they are.

GENERALLY speaking, all humans respond to the "laws of thermodynamics" in the same way. Cal in/cal out. HOWEVER, how do you account for people with metabolic disorders or food allergies or sensitivities? What about endo/ecto/mesomorphs who clearly respond to calories differently from each other. Clearly we don't ALL work the same, or none of those would exist.

Do most people use the "special snowflake" idea as an excuse? Yep. Are there some circumstances where there may be some validity to that claim? Also yep.

I don't know why there needs to be such hostility though... chill out yall, it's just food.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    and just because......

I would say she should get it: http://www.aboutlizzie.com/
  • kyleekay10
    Options
    and just because......

Seriously? She's obviously an exception. If she came onto the message boards and explained her situation, no one would be like "oh look at the special snowflake".
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    and just because......

um....yeah....

edited out gif that wasn't working:cry:
  • kyleekay10
    Options

^ this is true.

Sadly, the argument could easily be settled by saying both sides are right, because they are.

GENERALLY speaking, all humans respond to the "laws of thermodynamics" in the same way. Cal in/cal out. HOWEVER, how do you account for people with metabolic disorders or food allergies or sensitivities? What about endo/ecto/mesomorphs who clearly respond to calories differently from each other. Clearly we don't ALL work the same, or none of those would exist.

Do most people use the "special snowflake" idea as an excuse? Yep. Are there some circumstances where there may be some validity to that claim? Also yep.

I don't know why there needs to be such hostility though... chill out yall, it's just food.

Even with the people who have conditions that might slow weight loss or make it a bit more tricky, it's still all about Calories In vs. Calories Out. Will they lose weight as quickly or in the exact same way as other people? No. But they will still lose weight.

ETA: I am not speaking to anyone with extreme and/or rare disorders that make it physically impossible to lose and/or gain weight.