Gaining weight??? What?!!

Options
So, I'm on my third week of going to the gym and eating well. I haven't lost a bit of weight, I've gained it.

I don't get it. Why in God's name am I busting my tail to GAIN weight??

I work out 5 days a week: 30 min cardio at a high intensity and 30 min of weight training. Some days I can sneak in an extra 30 min on the treadmill at home. I eat anywhere from 1200 to 1400 calories a day.

I am on my period right now, and I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I'm getting extremely discouraged. What am I not doing right???

Replies

• Bull2707
    Bull2707 Posts: 106
    Options
    As you workout you will gain muscle and that weighs more then fat. I prefer not to go by scale but more by measurements. Weight will go up and down. Photoes are another way of telling if your making gains and where.

You period will affect your weight since you are retaining water.

Do not get discouraged, keep at it!! Also its not the amount of calories you eat it is how often you in a day and what is on that calorie. Example protien and sugar calories are different. Your body does not store proteins but will store sugar.

Stay motivated you will see the difference.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So, I'm on my third week of going to the gym and eating well. I haven't lost a bit of weight, I've gained it.

I don't get it. Why in God's name am I busting my tail to GAIN weight??

I work out 5 days a week: 30 min cardio at a high intensity and 30 min of weight training. Some days I can sneak in an extra 30 min on the treadmill at home. I eat anywhere from 1200 to 1400 calories a day.

I am on my period right now, and I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I'm getting extremely discouraged. What am I not doing right???

L Davidsen et. al. Impact of the menstrual cycle on determinants of energy balance: a putative role in weight loss attempts. International Journal of Obesity (2007) 31, 887-890

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v31/n12/full/0803699a.html
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
  • beckywilliams1967
    beckywilliams1967 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • timesinfinityplus2
    timesinfinityplus2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    TOM has a LOT to do with it. Also (despite what people say) you are NOT gaining enough muscle in that amount of time to make a difference. However, your muscles retain more water when they are being repaired so if you are working out hard, you can have more retained water until your muscles repair themselves.

TOM and water retention is what it is. Don't give up, the number will go down. Also measure, take pictures, try on clothes... many changes can happen that don't show up on the scale.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it hun, I can gain up to 10lbs on the scale while in my TOM

Also, that weight is not muscle weight as someone has posted, it takes a whole lot more than 3 weeks to build muscle enough to actually be able to see the numbers on the scale :noway:

Don't rely on the scale, take measurements and pictures
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    First- great dedication on your 3 weeks of working out.
    Secondly- YES by all means your period will make a difference. Also if your not been doing anything physical before the muscles hold onto fluid to heal. So holding fluid is not uncommon. Make sure and change your routine like every 3 weeks so that you shake up your system. Our system gets used to the same routine and you wont get good effects after a while. /also, lots of times we start losing inches before the scale really shows you anything
    Stick with it you will see a difference.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    As you workout you will gain muscle and that weighs more then fat.

When will this idea die? You don't gain muscle eating at a deficit and a pound is a pound regardless of whether it's fat or muscle. Most likely you are retaining water between TOM and muscle repair. You're probably undereating as well which isn't going to help going forward.
  • ailbheoconnell
    ailbheoconnell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    your TOM will make a difference, but for me it is only half a pound or so. It is more usual that I will maintain my weight that week, but I am eating at a deficit for weight loss. Weigh yourself once a week only and WEIGH and log EVERY single thing that you eat and drink. Using measuring cups will not be accurate enough. Buy a small digital weighing scales and just get in the habit of weighing everything, fruit, veg - really it is easier to just do it to everything. I used to eyeball the odd thing, then stick it on the scales to see. I was always wrong. For the amount of exercise you are doing you should be losing weight. Don't waste the effort of exercising by eating more cals than you should.

check out this video for a shocker when comparing scales to measuring spoons and cups. copy and paste

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

also join the group 'eat, train, progress' on here, it has very sensible info and doesn't blame fat gain on anything other than hand to mouth activity. true dat
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Most likely you are retaining water between TOM and muscle repair. You're probably undereating as well which isn't going to help going forward.

this!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

When will this idea die? You don't gain muscle eating at a deficit and a pound is a pound regardless of whether it's fat or muscle. Most likely you are retaining water between TOM and muscle repair. You're probably undereating as well which isn't going to help going forward.

This. All of it.

Up your calories for the work you're doing. TOM definitely screws with the numbers. I didn't drop back down until cycle day 4/5. And anytime you start a new workout, your body will retain water to repair your muscles. It's hard seeing it on the scale, but it WILL eventually drop back down.

Keep at it, keep your chin up, and good luck!
  • KelleyAuville
    Options
    So how much should I eat?? This is what my menu looks like today:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 slices turkey bacon
    Morning Snack: Rice cake with 1 tbsp. peanut butter
    Lunch: Ground Turkey Burger with taco seasoning, homemade salsa, 1/4 c. of reduced fat cheddar cheese and a serving of baked tostitos
    Afternoon Snack: Light yogurt and a banana
    Dinner: 1/2 cup of sour kraut, 1 turkey hotdog, 1 cup of green beans and 1/2 cup of redskin potatoes

I drink water like a fish. Only every once in a while will i have a diet coke or a sweet tea. I'm never really hungry except in the mornings when I wake up and right after I go to the gym.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

so you're saying there is no recomposition going on? seems doubtful.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I am on my period right now, and I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it

You should have said that first and just stopped right there. That is is your answer plain and simple. Now that you're finally tracking yoru weight regularly you'll see a 3-5 lb gain a week before and during your TOM. I've gained up to 7. Sucks, but it goes away.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options

Oh, is that why I eat at a deficit, but have maintained for 2 months, while my muscles have gotten larger and more firm (especially in my legs) since starting strength training?
  • KelleyAuville
    Options
    And this is confusing to me....after I complete my entries for the day this always pops up: *You've earned 475 extra calories from exercise today.

Well, if I consume those extra calories, am I not just undoing all the hard work that I did at the gym???
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Start with the calorie goal MFP sets for you. Always meet that goal. Think of it as the finish line. When you exercise, log it. If you have a HRM, that will give you a more accurate reading than MFP's predictions, which are notorious for overestimation. If all you have is MFP, maybe half the amount of burn it gives you. Others might be better at telling you what to do with that, since I use a HRM. Anyway, after you've logged your exercise, MFP will tell you something like "You've earned an extra 242 calories today". So now you get to eat 242 more calories in addition to your MFP goal. So let's assume, for example, your goal is 1400 calories. 1400 + 242 = 1642 calories to consume for the day. Now, you might be thinking "But won't that make me lose less than I want? Isn't that the opposite of what I should be doing? Shouldn't I be eating less?" The answer is no. MFP already works out your calorie deficit for you. All you have to do is eat the number of calories it gives you. You don't have to undercut your calories to get your deficit. It's already there. So eat, drink, be merry, lose weight. It's win win.
  • glamasjr
    glamasjr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Okay first, muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat! It's just that it's more dense. Obviously a pound of muscle is smaller and more dense than a pound of fat. Second, the whole don't eat too little or your body goes into starvation mode and holds on to everything is a myth. Infact if you do the math, that type of thinking would make no sense.

You may need to look at your sodium intake. And like others have said, your TOM can be a factor.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    First - if you just started 3 weeks ago, why are you ready to give up so fast? Getting healthy isn't an overnight guarantee and quitting at the first sign of something you don't like is no way to be successful.

Second - stop looking at the scale! I can gain and lose up to 8lbs in a day so the scale is a worthless tool in the short run to tell you if you have positive results. Long term, great. Short term, ignore it. Measure your success by how you feel and how you look.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    And this is confusing to me....after I complete my entries for the day this always pops up: *You've earned 475 extra calories from exercise today.

Well, if I consume those extra calories, am I not just undoing all the hard work that I did at the gym???

no, because MFP's goal number for you is your NET calories after exercise. to hit that number you have to eat back the cals you burn at the gym.