Calorie shocker!

Options

Replies

• brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I don't view eggs as a calorie shocker at all. I don't know how a 130 calories for 2 medium eggs is shocking.
  • lynnkieu
    lynnkieu Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    For my husband's birthday we celebrated at Chili's. I was really good and researched their menu to choose the best and healthiest options that fit my calorie goals.

Lighter Choice 6 oz Classic Sirloin: 250
    Spicy Garlic and Lime Shrimp (3): 80
    Sauteed Mushrooms: 70
    Steamed Broccoli: 80

For fun I looked up what I used to order whenever we went to Chili's before I started watching what I ate and I was horrified.

Triple Dipper Big Mouth Bites (split w/ husband): 395
    Triple Dipper Southwestern Egg Rolls (split): 275
    Triple Dipper Loaded Potato Skins (split): 345
    Crispy Honey Chipotle Chicken Crispers (includes fries and dip): 1700

I couldn't believe that I had consumed that many calories without knowing it- FOR ONE MEAL! Never again.
  • ailbheoconnell
    ailbheoconnell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This is a good way to go about it. Just remember though...caloric density has nothing to do with nutrient density. Too many people on MFP and dieters in general cut out very nutritious and healthy foods because of calorie content...it's high calorie, so it must be "bad" mentality. Many foods that you most definitely should be eating because of their nutritional value are also very calorie dense. Conversely, many foods with very low calories have little to no nutritional value.

Also kepe in mind that you need fats...people get all freaked out when they see the fat number and go all low fat/no fat. Fat is an essential nutrient...you need it for heart health and overall organ function. Your brain is largely comprised of fat. Many nutrients are fat soluble, so you need to consume fats in order for your body to absorb these nutrients. Fat also regulates hormones and this is essential to being healthy and to weight loss.

Just seek balance in your diet (noun).

i totally agree with this post (except for the statement that your brain is largely comprised of fat. brains are about 10% fat. my gran used to eat them when you could still get them in the butchers. also tongue. disgusting) Dietary fat contains EFAs, Essential Fatty Acids. Essential, not Optional. You need them for energy, healthy hair and skin, and countless things in the body, not least a sex drive. If you want to cut out something calorie dense cut out sugar, not fat.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Calorie shocker- go to cheescake factory and watch someone eat 3000 calories in a half hour- bread, appetizer, huge meal, and cheesecake desert. That's more than my whole day.
  • rejordan
    rejordan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Grits! Rice! and those caramel frappes from McDonalds!!! I used to get a biscuit (or two) and a medium frappe almost everyday! I was over my calories just thinking about lunch- had to make a change...for once in my life (Michael Jackson moment) !
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I still can't get over wraps. Using a lettuce leaf is a good alternative for me but only if I have something hearty in it, like a falafal and hummus or a few rice balls and salad. If it's a straight up salad wrap that's all peppers, pineapple, carrot, tomato, cucumber and spring onion, I just think putting that into a lettuce leaf is just a really cruel salad. I think then you need the wrap.

Serving size is still something I'm getting used to, just got working scales a couple of days ago. So far, my estimates have all been right. But I haven't had pasta yet. I know I'm not gonna like that
  • ailbheoconnell
    ailbheoconnell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Serving size is still something I'm getting used to, just got working scales a couple of days ago. So far, my estimates have all been right. But I haven't had pasta yet. I know I'm not gonna like that

yeah, starches are surprising when you weigh them. I eat a lot of potatoes and would have consider two fist sized potatoes a normal portion (with butter of course). Now I have one very small potato, about 150 cals worth. but still with real butter, cos its just not worth it without butter.

and peanut butter, i used to smear three or four crackers with lots of crunchy peanut butter and apple slices and think i was doing good, getting all those lovely nutritious nut fats. And handfuls of salted peanuts for snacks. now i have 12g of peanuts on my salad (about 15 small salted peanuts). or I spread peanut butter on a chocolate protein brownie, but 130 cals worth is one teaspoon (20g), which barely spread across the inch and a half wide brownie. i used to have a tbsp on each cracker, prob 250 cals worth of pb on each cracker. And i wondered why I was 32% fat when i ate 'healthy'.

those food scales don't lie.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    What's made me very happy were how low the calories are in:

Celery
    mushrooms
    plums
    salad potatoes
    iceberg lettuce, leaves in general
    Asparagus
    Homemade soup
    Veg stir fries
    Brussels Sprouts
    Cabbage
    Tomatoes
    Spinach
    Kale (make them into chips, oooh)
    Clemintines
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    not just the calories of foods shocked me but also the sugar content .. i mean a medium banana is like 14g of sugar and a large apple is like 25g !! sheesh, who knew ?!?

That is natural sugar though, don't confuse that with added or refined sugar. Unless you have some medical reason to cut naturally occuring sugars then don't worry about going over.

meh- you're body doesn't give a rats *kitten* where it comes from- sugar is sugar.

that being said- I eat WAY to much fruit for my own good LOL
    I don't view eggs as a calorie shocker at all. I don't know how a 130 calories for 2 medium eggs is shocking.
    seriously- this. I don't understand that at all.

Chocolate raisins 20 = 120 calories- GLORIOUS.

This is a good way to go about it. Just remember though...caloric density has nothing to do with nutrient density. Too many people on MFP and dieters in general cut out very nutritious and healthy foods because of calorie content...it's high calorie, so it must be "bad" mentality. Many foods that you most definitely should be eating because of their nutritional value are also very calorie dense. Conversely, many foods with very low calories have little to no nutritional value.

Also kepe in mind that you need fats...people get all freaked out when they see the fat number and go all low fat/no fat. Fat is an essential nutrient...you need it for heart health and overall organ function. Your brain is largely comprised of fat. Many nutrients are fat soluble, so you need to consume fats in order for your body to absorb these nutrients. Fat also regulates hormones and this is essential to being healthy and to weight loss.

Just seek balance in your diet (noun).
    and this
    very VERY much this.

I eat upwards or 30-40% of my diet in fat. it's amazing. I love bacon- and I cook all my veggies in bacon grease (sauteed- like butter essentially) its' amazing- I make the best zucchini even my picky *kitten* BF will eat them. :D
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    hey orange juice was frightening for me too, and I've delegated it to the just once in a while with breakfast group

I was also shocked by things like bread and many of the meats, I mean I knew they had higher calories than broccoli and lettuce, but good grief! butter was my killer because I love real sweet cream butter, and move over butter is not much lower in calories either, so I only eat it on my baked potato and grilled corn, and I am reducing the amount each time

I still use butter though it might be higher in calories because it is natural, not like margarine. I just watch how much I use.

I do too. I don't use margarine, it's ingredient list is only one item different from industrial plastics they make the margarine bowls from. Move over butter is real butter, it's just made from a leaner milk.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    The shocker for me was all the calories in those flavored COFFEE drinks and those "supposedly" healthy SMOOTHIES!!! I show them to my daughter along with her PICK ME UP DRINK and she almost had a fit. She dropped those from her daily routine and she has lost almost 25 lbs. You would be surprised where they sneak sugar in these days. Also check out those FAT FREE items compared to the full fat items--a real shocker. As for eggs and cheese--they are high protein items and are a NATURAL food item. So don't be afraid of them. I myself have taken processed foods out of my diet and reduced my salt so much take most eat out menus are overly salty to me now.
  • SweetLilyR
    SweetLilyR Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My shocker was red grapes. I made a grape and cheese platter as a snack for my kids and was congratulating myself for just eating the grapes. Counted out 50 of them as I was pretty hungry and grapes are GOOD FOR YOU. Right?

50 red seedless grapes = 345 calories. :noway:

But then I got to thinking...grapes are still good for you. What would have been healthier - eating 345 calories in chips or chocolate...or eating those 50 grapes? Definitely the grapes. So I'm going to stick to my nutrient dense, high calorie grapes...but maybe just 30 of them instead...
  • MaryJaneMadeMeFat
    Options
    I know the majority of my weight gain came from what I was drinking.... yeah, the Oreo`s didn`t help, but the drinks were astonishing! Before joining MFP, I ONLY drank tea (three cream & three sugar) and Pepsi. Three extra large teas a day were bringing me over 1200 calories, then add the Pepsi and it was game over! After joining MFP, I cut out the Pepsi completely, I occasionally have a diet Dr. Pepper and one small or medium tea (two cream & two sugar) a couple times a month.

Last May I moved and after loading up the last of it, we stopped at Subway for a bite to eat and I got a lemonade to go with my sub. I figured it was better than a pop... Over 200 calories in that bottle! Now I ONLY drink water (with the occasional tea or diet Dr. Pepper).
  • Rambopal
    Rambopal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    :noway: " i totally agree with this post (except for the statement that your brain is largely comprised of fat. brains are about 10% fat."

I guess that's why there are so many skinny zombies? :laugh:

I am not surprised or shocked at the calories in peanut butter, more how small the amount is for a serving. Looks like a plate of crackers and peanut butter as a snack isn't going to be happening a lot... Oh, well....
  • duntov1966
    Options
    I was shocked after we picked up one of those Hormel 'REV' wraps the other day.

This one was labeled as #7. net weight... 3oz. it looked harmless enough.

290 calories (25% of my day); 50% of the saturated fat for a day; 40% of the daily allowance of sodium.

All this goodness in a large 3 oz serving. :noway:
  • SweetLilyR
    SweetLilyR Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Started today on this one but started last week on another counter...anyway i love this one...But back to the question..yes tim hortons extra large coffee 4x4 which is four creams and four sugars and sometimes i add more sugar which brought it up to a whopping 600 to760 calories..i have been drinking three to four of these a day for two years ..No wonder i gained weight....

So guess what is no longer on my menu..? lol

Finding this out hurt me...hurt me real bad. I'm a coffee snob so if I'm out and about and desperate for coffee, Timmy Ho-Ho's is the ONLY coffee I will drink. Guess who bottles up her own 130 calorie coffee now?

<
    That person.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The shocker for me was all the calories in those flavored COFFEE drinks and those "supposedly" healthy SMOOTHIES!!! I show them to my daughter along with her PICK ME UP DRINK and she almost had a fit. She dropped those from her daily routine and she has lost almost 25 lbs. You would be surprised where they sneak sugar in these days. Also check out those FAT FREE items compared to the full fat items--a real shocker. As for eggs and cheese--they are high protein items and are a NATURAL food item. So don't be afraid of them. I myself have taken processed foods out of my diet and reduced my salt so much take most eat out menus are overly salty to me now.

well fat = flavor.

so when they take out the fat- guess what they have to add flavor somehow- and most of the time it's through sugar. So next time instead of axing out an option and going "fat free" get the fatty version. It's probably not nearly as calorically high as you thought- AND it tastes better.
  • auteurfille22
    auteurfille22 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Milk! I used to drink about 10 glasses of it a day (no exaggeration). Didn't realize that was over 1000 calories just in liquids! I've switched entirely to water. I think that was huge in cutting my calorie intake and while it was hard at first, after a week I really didn't miss it. I have it in cereal occasionally and sometimes I just crave it so I have one tall glass every so often, but I don't drink it like I used to. If for nothing else, that makes me eternally grateful for MFP and that I started counting calories or I probably would have kept going like that.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Well, I just joined today and entered what I was planning to eat/drink. I was shocked to learn I couldn't have even one coke or it would put me over my allotted sugars for the day. Super sad day in the life of a coke addict.

Hahaha, I quite drinking coke on June 3rd and I know exactly how you feel !!!

Orange juice was the shocker for me.
  • elainelosewt
    Options
    hi all !! i was urprized by the suger in fruit!!