Venting about a bad gym experience

Options

Replies

• WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    The only other thing that got me about the OP was, you say you were forcibly removed. Do you mean to tell us that the Operations Manager physically manhandled you like a bouncer with a diruptive drunk and pulled you out of the room?

Considering that she tried to go back in after being removed and that she's so indignant about all this, I wonder if they had to do that because she refused to leave when asked nicely. And I wonder if she's been spoken to about this before and ignored it.

Yep. I think that there is more to the story than she is telling.

And what she has told thus far, doesn't make her at all sympathetic.
  • eversosquidly
    eversosquidly Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    There's nothing worse than feeling embarrassed when trying to work out. I'm really sorry that happened to you. :(
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Pretty easy solution. Find another gym, leave negative feedback on yelp and Twitter, and move on.

Don't leave negative feedback on anything unless they have actually done something wrong. It's idiots who misunderstand things, leave negatives and low ratings for things that really affect businesses which have in fact done no wrong.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Wow. I think you should be more embarrassed about the total fit you threw in response to the gym enforcing their policy than being asked to leave the class. And if you were dressed for Zumba you were likely wearing clothing appropriate for the treadmill or other gym activities. This sounds like a whole lot of drama over nothing.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Bump to see if the OP will answer

No because the Operations Manager is probably ushering her out of the forums because she didn't follow those rules either. Hehe

I like you!

Thanks and hello there!
    I like you both.

Did the OP have a question, or was she just griping about being treated like an adult at an adult establishment in hopes of empathy from people on the internet?

Maybe zumba, or any other class/workout that requires you to follow directions isn't in your best interest, OP. I'd hate to see you injured on a treadmill or eliptical machine because you couldn't follow instructions.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Whatever the issue really is, as a business person I gotta say the operations manager was out of line, unless the ladies were habitual abusers of the policy. And even at that point, the intervention should have been done before or after the class to allow the others who were enjoying their workout to not be interrupted.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Okay, maybe they have a policy. Maybe the OP knew the policy. And maybe the OP was wrong to ignore the policy.

HOWEVER. . having a perp-walk out of the class after it has started is a wholly unnecessary way to enforce said policy. Embarrassing your members is pretty bad business if you ask me. It seems they could have waited at the door to the workout room before class and quietly informed members that they needed a wristband to take the class. Then, let the member go get one at the desk. Of course, if they are OUT OF WRISTBANDS but still insist on enforcing the wristband policy, well. . that doesn't even make sense.

Anyway, that's just not the way I'd do business.

I can see the manager getting a complaint about people overcrowding the classes. He thinks about how there are signs posted about the wristband policy. It is spelled out on their social media site, and website. He decides he is going to do something about it to keep the people who are doing what is right and don't have a sense of entitlement happy and paying. People have until the class starts to go to the desk and get a wristband.

He waits until the class starts, and goes in to police it. The OP and the few other people who were too good to wait in line at the front desk to get a wristband are asked to leave. The OP argues/has a tizzy fit and makes a scene. So, he stands there and waits as she takes her time getting her stuff. The class is already over capacitty and all of the wristbands for that class are gone to people who followed the rules. She goes to get a wristband, but obviously the class is full, and there are no more wrist bands for that class. The OP then goes back up to the group fitness room hoping the manager is gone, and she can slip back in. The manager is still there, and she tries to sweet talk her way back into the class. The Manager holds his line and says, "no wristband, no class." and keeps her from entering.

OP then gets butthurt, and storms out of the gym instead of finding something else to do. She spends her evening blowing this out of proprtion, and her choice to leave the gym after being asked to not participate in a class becomes her being manhandled by a manager, and then ejected from the whole gym. So, she decides she will make an internet post about it, and paint it a little more dramatic than it was in order to attempt to hurt their business.

Of course, this is a fictionalized acount of events, but I think the OPs was too. I wonder which is closer to the actual events that occurred.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Bump to see if the OP will answer

No because the Operations Manager is probably ushering her out of the forums because she didn't follow those rules either. Hehe

I like you!

Thanks and hello there!

Hi! :blushing:
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Maybe they started "enforcing" the policy because they got tired of you and others not voluntarily following the policy even though you know about it. Love it when people break the rules and then get all butt hurt when they get called on it. No sympathy here....
    This...It's like riding the train for free because nobody asks for a ticket ever - and then getting mad if you get thrown off and a fine for not having a ticket.....
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Okay, maybe they have a policy. Maybe the OP knew the policy. And maybe the OP was wrong to ignore the policy.

HOWEVER. . having a perp-walk out of the class after it has started is a wholly unnecessary way to enforce said policy. Embarrassing your members is pretty bad business if you ask me. It seems they could have waited at the door to the workout room before class and quietly informed members that they needed a wristband to take the class. Then, let the member go get one at the desk. Of course, if they are OUT OF WRISTBANDS but still insist on enforcing the wristband policy, well. . that doesn't even make sense.

I can see the manager getting a complaint about people overcrowding the classes. He thinks about how there are signs posted about the wristband policy. It is spelled out on their social media site, and website. He decides he is going to do something about it to keep the people who are doing what is right and don't have a sense of entitlement happy and paying. People have until the class starts to go to the desk and get a wristband.

He waits until the class starts, and goes in to police it. The OP and the few other people who were too good to wait in line at the front desk to get a wristband are asked to leave. The OP argues/has a tizzy fit and makes a scene. So, he stands there and waits as she takes her time getting her stuff. The class is already over capacitty and all of the wristbands for that class are gone to people who followed the rules. She goes to get a wristband, but obviously the class is full, and there are no more wrist bands for that class. The OP then goes back up to the group fitness room hoping the manager is gone, and she can slip back in. The manager is still there, and she tries to sweet talk her way back into the class. The Manager holds his line and says, "no wristband, no class." and keeps her from entering.

OP then gets butthurt, and storms out of the gym instead of finding something else to do. She spends her evening blowing this out of proprtion, and her choice to leave the gym after being asked to not participate in a class becomes her being manhandled by a manager, and then ejected from the whole gym. So, she decides she will make an internet post about it, and paint it a little more dramatic than it was in order to attempt to hurt their business.

Of course, this is a fictionalized acount of events, but I think the OPs was too. I wonder which is closer to the actual events that occurred.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: *claps*
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    The OP is NOT coming back to this thread, I am sure. She only has 5 posts so she is likely just a troll who came here to throw her tantrum.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

At least you know the only way the operations manager is in the right for rounding up paying members like cattle is to fill in the blanks with guesses on information you did not have. What if there was no tizzy thrown by the member other than to leave and see if she could get a wrist band? What do you think of Saint Idiot Manager then?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

At least you know the only way the operations manager is in the right for rounding up paying members like cattle is to fill in the blanks with guesses on information you did not have. What if there was no tizzy thrown by the member other than to leave and see if she could get a wrist band? What do you think of Saint Idiot Manager then?

I think that the OP is still butt hurt for getting caught not following the rules.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Something tells me that everyone else in the class is thinking something along the lines of: "Finally! This class has been too overcrowded with people not following the wristband rules for months. Looks like complaining to the gym manager finally worked"
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

This may be wrong, but I'm thinking a tizzy was thrown. I highly doubt she was forcibly removed or manhandled. I will bet she was asked to leave, didn't think they were serious, then was told a second and maybe even a third time. She had to rush to get her stuff because he was beside her, because he obviously knew she wouldn't leave after being asked because she kept trying to go back. Even after he told her there were no wristbands she states "He made sure that I could not re-enter the room to finish my workout." So she obviously kept hanging out around there hoping he would leave so she could slip in again. 45+ people in the class, I'm betting it was already over crowded. You need space in a class environment, the more people the hotter it gets and you're already sweating. There is NOTHING worse than an overcrowded class where people are bumping into each other, hence why they give out wristbands.

She knew the rules and disobeyed them. I'm sure the operations manager had been getting plenty of complaints about people coming into class without wristbands therefore ruining it for everyone who got a wristband. Just because you pay a monthly membership doesn't mean you can do whatever you want to. You still have to follow the rules. If you missed getting the wristband because you didn't get there in time, your problem, get there earlier next time. If you can't because of work or whatever, then find another class or something else at the gym to do. I'm sorry I've missed classes before at the gym, there was PLENTY else for me to do.

In my opinion the OP needs to stop being a child about this. I understand she was embarrassed. She was embarrassed and it was HER OWN DOING because she didn't follow the rules. It's that simple. If she wants to not be embarrassed then show up and get a wristband next time. That simple.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

you're being ridiculous. the gym has a clear policy about checking in to the front desk so that the class doesn't become overcrowded. the reason for that policy is that there is a maximum number of people that the room can accomodate. any more than that and it becomes uncomfortable and unsafe to move about the room. the OP violated the safety rules and when asked to leave, remained defiant and stay in the room. meanwhile, the people that showed up in time to get a wristband are patiently waiting for the her to leave so that the class can start.

please tell how you would have handled it if you were the owner or manager of the gym
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

you're being ridiculous. the gym has a clear policy about checking in to the front desk so that the class doesn't become overcrowded. the reason for that policy is that there is a maximum number of people that the room can accomodate. any more than that and it becomes uncomfortable and unsafe to move about the room. the OP violated the safety rules and when asked to leave, remained defiant and stay in the room. meanwhile, the people that showed up in time to get a wristband are patiently waiting for the her to leave so that the class can start.

please tell how you would have handled it if you were the owner or manager of the gym

Posting the rules? (oh wait, they did).

Gentle clucking of the tongue, maybe?
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Having been the day manager in a similar situation I too entered a class and removed 'the perps'.

One wrote a stinking letter to Head Office saying that I had been rude, peremptory and embarrassing. She also pointed out that the rule had never been enforced before... she was very angry.

Head Office wrote back explaining that there were posters explaining why wristbands were needed, the website carried an explanation, the mirrors had posters on them, the windows too. 98% of the class was wearing wristbands.... the 4 I removed had no real excuse.

Shouting at the management is pointless, they have legal responsibilities, H+S etc. The instructor is also at risk, their insurance and public liability won't cover them if there is an incident in an overfull class.

If your workout is more important to you than someone elses safety or livelihood then you deserve the embarrassment!

If you had never thought about it that way before you can now make an informed decision... get there early or choose a different workout.

Either way, you just need to rethink your workout times a bit.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Indeed. Sounds about right to me.

I wonder if the manager even got a complaint that the class was overcrowded and there were people in there not wearing wristbands on the spot - perhaps someone who had gotten their band and noticed the OP and band-less others setting up and went up to the desk to complain about people not following the policy. It seems entirely possible to me that a rule follower who was frustrated with rule breakers overcrowding the class might do this during the set-up time or just as class was starting. Nobody would even notice someone slipping in and out of the room to complain while everybody was setting up. This would leave the manager having to choose between ignoring the valid complaint of a rule follower (and fire and safety codes for an overcrowded class) or having to potentially embarrass people breaking rules. If that was the case, it seems to me like he made the only possible choice, and the instructor wouldn't have known ahead of time that this was going to happen to warn people that they were enforcing the rules.
    Either way, whining about the fact that you got caught breaking the rules is pretty childish. Just because they don't have wrist-band police at the door of every class doesn't make you exempt from the policy. Learn to follow the rules or don't work out in public. Your choice.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a high school kid (I teach high school) complaining about being issued a detention for a rule that is well known in the school or earning a zero on an assignment because they were caught copying and then bellyaching that the teacher is a beast and an awful unfair person for enforcing a rule that the kid knew about. It is absurd in high school and it is absurd at the gym.