How Do Non-Smokers Handle Stress?

Options

Replies

• wrentrotter
    Options
    Allen Carr's book is really great.

When you smoke because of stressful situations you are only adding to that stress. It's pretty stressful thinking will this cigarette be the one that gives me cancer etc. That thought was always at the back of my mind when I smoked.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I have now been officially "QUIT" all the way for 74 hours, or 3 days and 2 hours... LOL! I have smoked for some 30 years....
    Congratulations. I quit 30 years ago after 15 years of smoking starting at age 15. I relieve stress by deep breathing, meditation and exercise. Good luck.
  • love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    For me, preferred methods of stress relief:

-exercise (a long walk in the woods does wonders)
    -read a book (usually fantasy type)
    -sex (if hubby is home and willing!)
    -a nap (sometimes I'm stressed cuz I'm tired!)
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Most stress is self induced. I like to try mental and physical exercises to get my stress levels down.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Depends on what is making me "stress", I guess. Some forms of stress is easier to manage than others. When it is something that I can step away from for a moment, that makes me feel better and view things from a fresh perspective when I come back to it. If it is the kind of stress that lingers, like a pending problem that needs to be solved in the long run, like paying off debt, I focus on the solution, I make a plan and I execute it. If it is stress within a relationship, I write/journal. Overall, what keeps me sane is being active. I may be running or cleaning house or running an errand. And when none of that works..... I have to SIT down and be still, meditate on all the good things in my life.... and allow myself to feel thankful for it all. Reading inspirational literature also helps me cope.
  • michail71
    michail71 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing! It's fantastic, fun and addicting. It will make you laugh at treadmill cardio.

But I never smoked.
  • Shampres
    Shampres Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I look at pictures of cute animals on Pinterest or find something funny to focus on for a couple minutes. If you need something more physical, maybe taking the long way to get a drink or water. Or call your grandmother or favorite aunt or someone and chat for five minutes. These are all things I do when I need a quick break in the day.
  • airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the stopping.:flowerforyou:
    I quit smoking over 16 yrs ago after smoking for a little over 31 yrs.
    Stress relief for me is to take a little walk and think about that beautiful vacation spot you would love to go to but haven't been (even if that place doesn't exsist:smile:except in your own mind ) and let your mind go there.

And if that doesn't work --about 15 or 20 shots of a good quality bourbon should do the trick.:drinker: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • sumgrl
    sumgrl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    hey i just quit smoking about 2 months ago and i was worried about the stress part of it all too .. i smoked for 20 years prior and after about 2 weeks all of the triggering "stressful" moments didnt really happen much .. as as time has gone on i dont really notice it .. i think the "stress" was needing a cigarette because i find myself under pressure and i DON'T need a smoke to calm down .. what i did was try not to over think the "i am stressed and i need a smoke" if i let that thought linger i would have a miserable day .. i also drank water .. a big ol cup of water because smoking would give me a reason to take a break so i would take a break and go to the sink and stand there drinking water instead of smoking .. now a couple days after i quit a nig ol drama fest happened with my daughter and i actually made it thru that without smoking .. i cant chew regular gum because of false teeth so i chewed that gum that doesnt stick to dental work .. i cant think of the name .. and sucked on sugar free hard candies .. and alot of hard candies gives you bad gas just so you know .. also i did gain about 10 lbs but it has since came off without much extra effort just try not to eat in order to replace the need for nicotine just remember after 3 days it is all mental it is no longer physical addiction so you have gotten past the worst part and just take it one day at a time .
  • TeresaMarie46
    TeresaMarie46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Smokers, when they have stressful moments will simply light up, feel the endorphins flow, feel better and carry on... What in the world do non-smokers do? I have now been officially "QUIT" all the way for 74 hours, or 3 days and 2 hours... LOL! I have smoked for some 30 years.... What do I replace the nicotine with during stressful times when a cig would make me feel better but I refuse to do that any more?

I am quitting smoking, getting healthier, dieting, trying to break my ice chewing habit due to low iron and refusing to buy any more soda - ALL AT THE SAME TIME. Any advice would be so very much appreciated!

So how do you non-smokers cope with stress that used to use cigarettes as your crutch as I did?

stressed.jpg

First off....LOVE THE PIC.....

SECONDLY...a good laugh

In all truth, when I quit smoking, I replaced it by praying (if this is for you). I also found it very helpful to have fresh Veggies and a tall glass of water handy. I also picked up on reading a good book. For me, I felt the need to keep my hands busy at first....ie: snacking on celery, carrots , a toothpick, ( anything healthy) and in reading whatever caught my interest, this kept my mind off of “ needing “ to pick up a cigarette. Don't get me wrong, its' wasn't easy...but mind over matter, and my determination is what went a long way.

It gets easier, and before you realize it....voilà cravings are gone.

Best Wishes
  • k9runner1963
    k9runner1963 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I never smoked so I'm not sure but you're changing a lot in one go I must admit, think that will make it harder for you. Not impossible, just harder that's all.
    But I would recommend maybe getting some boxing gloves and a punchbag. Failing that a husband who you can use for support / punchbag. :)

I seriously love the punching bag idea, that may be the very best answer yet. I could get in some seriously good shape too as time goes by. Thanks!

The boxing is great! I joined Title Boxing almost a year ago and I love it! When I've had a bad day at work, I take it out on the bag. Go home stress free! Walking is another good option. Good luck!
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I did crafts, like embroidery, which is totally great.

When you are trying to follow a detailed pattern, with pretty colors, and you make pictures with pretty threads, and your mind gets really into it, you really lose sight of things around you.. and also since you dont want your hard work and beautiful artwork you are making to be dirty with cigarett smoke, and greasy hands are a bad thing, then you wont want to do things that will harm your hard work.

Plus when you do crafts like that, it releives stress because you are focusing on the artwork you are making, and your mind loves it. so relaxing.. its like the same feeling when you watch a great movie that takes you to another place and you really get into the movie, so that you dont even realize the time.
  • BurningAway
    Options
    My newest addiction is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, also going to the gym and punching the **** out of the bags. That relieves SO much of my aggression as well as my stress try it out you may love it :).
  • CandelLife
    CandelLife Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    So glad you quit! I won't lie, it'll be weird for a while, but stay committed and you'll get through. Maybe try some yoga/deep breathing. I never smoked heavily and when I quit I only had maybe 8 years in so it was not so bad. My problem was when I went out for drinks, alcohol goes so well with a cigarette and the inhibitions go down. Sometimes I still want one with a bevvy but I remember how much better I feel since I quit.
    You can do it! One day you will wake up and not remember what it was like to smoke.

I'm looking forward to that day!
  • CandelLife
    Options
    Allen Carr's book is really great.

When you smoke because of stressful situations you are only adding to that stress. It's pretty stressful thinking will this cigarette be the one that gives me cancer etc. That thought was always at the back of my mind when I smoked.

I know what you mean! I don't know how I managed to get through 30 years of smoking on top of asthma with how bad my breathing and coughing was to be told now that my lungs sound clear plus when they checked me in the hospital during my breathing treatments, not lung cancer -- they said it was what I was smoking, those cheap filthy clipper cigar things that are just like cigarettes but worse. Of course I didn't believe them, they were lying to me just so I would quit smoking! LOL!!! That's what I honestly thought!! Shaking my head at my own foolishness!
  • CandelLife
    Options
    Congrats on the stopping.:flowerforyou:
    I quit smoking over 16 yrs ago after smoking for a little over 31 yrs.
    Stress relief for me is to take a little walk and think about that beautiful vacation spot you would love to go to but haven't been (even if that place doesn't exsist:smile:except in your own mind ) and let your mind go there.

And if that doesn't work --about 15 or 20 shots of a good quality bourbon should do the trick.:drinker: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I think maybe I might take up drinking again after all this wonderful advice! LOL! (JK)
  • CandelLife
    Options
    hey i just quit smoking about 2 months ago and i was worried about the stress part of it all too .. i smoked for 20 years prior and after about 2 weeks all of the triggering "stressful" moments didnt really happen much .. as as time has gone on i dont really notice it .. i think the "stress" was needing a cigarette because i find myself under pressure and i DON'T need a smoke to calm down .. what i did was try not to over think the "i am stressed and i need a smoke" if i let that thought linger i would have a miserable day .. i also drank water .. a big ol cup of water because smoking would give me a reason to take a break so i would take a break and go to the sink and stand there drinking water instead of smoking .. now a couple days after i quit a nig ol drama fest happened with my daughter and i actually made it thru that without smoking .. i cant chew regular gum because of false teeth so i chewed that gum that doesnt stick to dental work .. i cant think of the name .. and sucked on sugar free hard candies .. and alot of hard candies gives you bad gas just so you know .. also i did gain about 10 lbs but it has since came off without much extra effort just try not to eat in order to replace the need for nicotine just remember after 3 days it is all mental it is no longer physical addiction so you have gotten past the worst part and just take it one day at a time .

Thank you! I've caught myself "reaching" for them and they're not there, then shake my head (literally) and remind myself, I don't do that anymore and I am ok with that. I say it each time. Then the tense feeling goes away just like that. It proves I really can ignore it and carry on now. You know, I think maybe I got this LOL.... I needed to realize it and this post has helped me work through that, and all of you and your great help!!!
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking by replacing cigarettes with an e-cig vaping rig :) I'm on pretty low-nicotine e-juice right now but it helps with the want to stress smoke and you get your oral fixation taken care of with a very similar motion.
  • running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Running! More running! ... Beer :D
  • CandelLife
    Options
    First off....LOVE THE PIC.....

SECONDLY...a good laugh

In all truth, when I quit smoking, I replaced it by praying (if this is for you). I also found it very helpful to have fresh Veggies and a tall glass of water handy. I also picked up on reading a good book. For me, I felt the need to keep my hands busy at first....ie: snacking on celery, carrots , a toothpick, ( anything healthy) and in reading whatever caught my interest, this kept my mind off of “ needing “ to pick up a cigarette. Don't get me wrong, its' wasn't easy...but mind over matter, and my determination is what went a long way.

It gets easier, and before you realize it....voilà cravings are gone.

Best Wishes

Yes, praying is for me and I seem to be doing a lot of it lately, mostly asking for patience and perseverance. I really like the water idea!