Are GMOs Safe?

Options

Replies

• bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Oh boy. Somebody pass the popcorn (GMO free only of course) while I sit back and watch the firestorm. In for the hysteria...
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Worry more about Monsanto.... they are far more dangerous than any GMO on its own!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Worry more about Monsanto.... they are far more dangerous than any GMO on its own!

Didn't take long for the tinfoil hats to come out
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    no one knows. end of story.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm in.

popcorn_yes.gif
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Oh snap. My work productivity may have dropped in anticipation of this lovely thread.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    GMO = Get More Oreos

Totally safe
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    When you say "GM Food", people's brains go to **** like splicing genes from bioluminescent fish on to corn to get glow in the dark corn that you can harvest at night or blah blah ..

But the fact of the matter is .. nearly everything we eat (animal AND Vegetable) has been genetically modified through hybridization and selective breeding.

Let's face it: Broccoli is just selectively bred Cabbage.

Pluots are my current favorite hybrid food.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    So I checked, and the site acg linked to is not unbiased, and is actually an organization designed to dispel 'myths' about GMOs

http://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/mission/

Peggy G. Lemaux (one of their main food-related advisors) "is founder and editor of KnowsGMOs, a science based information and resource guide. Her research efforts focus on the use of genomic technologies to understand, manipulate and improve cereal crops, such as wheat, barley, rice and sorghum."

Unfortunately, this pretty image gives us no new information, and simply cherry picks quotes to support acg's argument. Yall have fun flaming and entertaining yourselves, but I'm done here. :laugh:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So I checked, and the site acg linked to is not unbiased, and is actually an organization designed to dispel 'myths' about GMOs

Peggy G. Lemaux (one of their main food-related advisors) "is founder and editor of KnowsGMOs, a science based information and resource guide. Her research efforts focus on the use of genomic technologies to understand, manipulate and improve cereal crops, such as wheat, barley, rice and sorghum."

Unfortunately, this pretty image gives us no new information, and simply cherry picks quotes to support acg's argument. Yall have fun flaming and entertaining yourselves, but I'm done here. :laugh:

I stated no position on the subject, so not sure how anything is cherry picked to support it.

And a science based resource guide? oh the horrors, better use a fantasy based resource like most anti GMO literature
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    aflatoxin in corn is a HUGE deal worldwide...
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    1376194344292773_animate.gif
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    People have ridiculously simple views of things. "Genetically modified" or "GMO" is treated like it's some industrial process that adds a certain chemical to a crop, or changes it in a specific way.

GMO is an umbrella term for any of an infinite number of ways to change the genes of an organism.

What matters is the specific way the organism is altered. A crop that is genetically altered to make it grow a little faster or bigger is probably fine. A crop that is genetically altered so it's full of arsenic is probably not fine.
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I did a paper on GMO's at university recently, there is a lot to say for either side, it's really not easy to answer. I am in favor of the research and development to see what's possible, if you search "golden rice" you'll find a product developed with good intentions that may be really helpful to a lot of malnourished people, but you never know what side effects could potentially occur. That is where it all becomes a bit of a what if situation.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

I doubt anyone can find a truly unbiased look at this subject scientific or otherwise

I stated no position on the subject, so not sure how anything is cherry picked to support it.

And a science based resource guide? oh the horrors, better use a fantasy based resource like most anti GMO literature
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    GMO = Get More Oreos

Totally safe
    Want to do something useful GMO scientists, make this happen.

oreo_tree_900.jpg
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    22c58c7d7cfdaf8b490a921c581ae4be.png
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    no one knows. end of story.

I agree with this.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    hold on, I think its possible to make a tinfoil hat out of jiffy-pop

2915212672_379948d0e1_n.jpg
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I think the jury is out on the final answer to your question. Most of the quotes provided in the picture basically say people have been eating GMOs for years (nice lab rats that we are) and we don't see anything bad happening yet -- therefore it must be ok.

Of course we also need to watch the money because it is interesting where a lot of the funding comes from for these studies which find no problems with GMOs. There is also a terrific amount of money spent trying to prevent the labeling of GMO foods -- labels aren't really needed basically anything with corn or soy or any of their derivatives that isn't organic can be presumed to have one or more ingredient that is a GMO. Label the stuff that is GMO free -- it is a much shorter list. I also think its interesting that all of the reasons given for GMOs necessity (hearty crops, resistant to certain things destructive to crops, easier use of pesticides) really haven't proven to hold true in the long term. Essentially I have not see any confirmed studies which can point to great benefits from the use of GMOs-- except for the money generated by the patent holders.

I don't want pesticides on my food.

I don't want growth hormones injected into the foods I eat.

I don't want someone splicing the genes of food with the genes of bacteria or anything else to make them resistant to anything.

I don't think we have all the answers yet and I would prefer to hedge all my bets as much as I can as often as I can. The first generation raised on mostly GMOs are just graduating from high school -- lets give it a little more time before we declare the long term effects of consumption safe.

I don't demand that anyone else refrain from eating GMOs. I don't demand that they cease production. I really don't care what anyone else eats (except for my children) -- I never bring it up. I eat organic foods. If you don't think there is any difference eat whatever you chose to eat. I would never try to convince someone to eat something they didn't want to eat. If all of us organic buying people are just fools who like to waste our money -- what is it to anyone else?