Freak of nature and other backhanded compliments..,

Options
getitamb
getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
So today I was called, by my dad, a freak of nature. He told me it was good bc that meant I worked out and was be owning healthy. I just said of that means no diabetes, heart problems, high blood pressure, and lower risk of cancer, I guess that's me. What backhanded compliments have you received on your journey?

Replies

• griffith5150
    Options
    Awww its good you are taking of yourself so you won't lose your boyfriend to another woman. From my evil cousin after I lost my first 100 lbs..
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    "You look great! You were definitely getting chubby before."

Duh, I know. Couldn't have stopped after "you look great"? :grumble:
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    "Wow, you look amazing. Did you get a new husband or something?"

WTF does that even mean?
  • kasimarie29
    kasimarie29 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I was called a freak of nature by my dad once... but that was cuz I got my lip pierced at age 12....
  • LaserOctopus
    LaserOctopus Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    "You look thinner. Have you been sick?" From a co-worker.

Gee, thanks.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I usually got the " you would be pretty if you lost weight". Or you look so much better now, Im not trying to be pretty, i want to be fit" Ignorant people suck
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    "You look thinner. Have you been sick?" From a co-worker.

Gee, thanks.

YES! This has happened to me on several occasions - even at times when I hadn't lost any weight. :laugh:
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    From several people- "Wow, you look great. Did insurance cover gastric bypass?"

Me- "No, Im not a cheater. I did it the hard way. I'm sure you can to if you want."
  • chubaway
    chubaway Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I usually got the " you would be pretty if you lost weight". Or you look so much better now, Im not trying to be pretty, i want to be fit" Ignorant people suck

I don't think that's ignorant. I don't think there is anything wrong with either of those comments. Maybe you're too sensitive?
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I was told, "You don't want to be al skin and bone. You should stop losing weight now." SMH! Oh well
  • LaserOctopus
    Options

Me- "No, Im not a cheater. I did it the hard way. I'm sure you can to if you want."

<eyeroll> Silly people. This is why I am already making up completely preposterous and vaguely dirty reasons for my losses, and I'm only 14 pounds down so far...
  • LaserOctopus
    Options

I don't think that's ignorant. I don't think there is anything wrong with either of those comments. Maybe you're too sensitive?

I get this kind of insult all the time: you would be pretty if you dressed like [insert random half-wit celebrity half my age here], you would be pretty if you changed your hair (both in it's current untreated state, and in every chemically-achieved color I ever had), you would be pretty if you were shorter (I'm 5'10), you would be pretty if you had a tan (seriously? Do I look like I even *can* tan?), you would be pretty if you weren't so smart (WTF? And not from someone who would have reason to know my intellectual capacity), you would be pretty if... the list goes on. And on. And on and on and on... It's like they're offended that I don't conform to their exact specifications. It may not be *intended* that way, but it comes across that way.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

That is not ignorant. That is fact, depending on how much weight you need to lose.
  • whierd
    Options

Gastric bypass isn't the easy way. They have to work just as hard.
  • chubaway
    chubaway Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options

I get this kind of insult all the time: you would be pretty if you dressed like [insert random half-wit celebrity half my age here], you would be pretty if you changed your hair (both in it's current untreated state, and in every chemically-achieved color I ever had), you would be pretty if you were shorter (I'm 5'10), you would be pretty if you had a tan (seriously? Do I look like I even *can* tan?), you would be pretty if you weren't so smart (WTF? And not from someone who would have reason to know my intellectual capacity), you would be pretty if... the list goes on. And on. And on and on and on... It's like they're offended that I don't conform to their exact specifications. It may not be *intended* that way, but it comes across that way.

I don't think one of those items you mentioned had anything to do with losing weight or becoming healthier.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options

So it's pointless then?
  • whierd
    Options

So it's pointless then?

It helps to curb some of your appetite and I believe limits calorie absorption to a degree. But that is rarely the reason that people fall off the wagon and are still subject to emotional eating and calorie counting.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    "You were way hotter before you lost weight." :huh:

"You're actually quite thin except for the top of your legs." :laugh:
  • LaserOctopus
    Options

I don't think one of those items you mentioned had anything to do with losing weight or becoming healthier.

True. But they all have that "You would be pretty if," as if that thing, regardless of what it is, is your only chance to have some redeeming value. Certainly most people look better as they get healthier, but the implication (purposely or not) in that particular type of back-handed compliment is that right now you're hideous, and you should do X thing to make yourself acceptable to the person doing the complimenting.

I, personally, would probably enjoy life a lot more if all men were 6'5, well-defined, half-naked, and gorgeous. But I'm not going to go up to the ones who aren't and tell them they'd be attractive "if"...
  • _firecracker_
    _firecracker_ Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    "Your figure looks amazing! It must be because you're so tall." Of course. It has absolutely nothing to do with running and lifting 6 days a week.