This is why I get frustrated and don't want to work out

Replies

• CoraLeeRMer
    CoraLeeRMer Posts: 6 Member
    If the only reason you work out is to burn calories, you are going to be frustrated. I think the problem is with your approach. Exercise *for me* is not simply about how many calories I can burn - that would make it punitive and why would I want to do something that is negative?

Exercise is a rewarding routine that allows me to use my body in way that is restorative and energizing! I personally have found that long cardio is draining for me, so I do treadmill hikes and weight training. I LOVE seeing and feeling my muscles work hard and I measure my progress with increased reps, weight and flexibility. Sure I track the calories, but don't really care as long as I am progressing with my goals.

Make sure your exercise is FUN so that you see it as a positive part of your day, not something to get done to hit a certain calorie deficit. This is the only way to ensure you are active in the long run :) Good luck!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    I'm with you OP, just stop working out.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    You are not doing hiit. That's intervals. Hiit is faaar more intense than what you're doing.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member

Clearly, working out is not best for you OP. All that weight you lost was pointless.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    So, hold on. Instead of working and burning 321 calories you want to not workout and burn nothing? Makes sense. :huh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I push and push myself and make sure I stay within heart rate. I just ran for 30mins on treadmill and then did 10 mins on treadmill of HIITs (30sec as 2.5mph with 45sec at 7.5mph). After 40mins of working out I only burned 321 calories! WTF!
    Don't do boring workouts. Do things that are actually enjoyable.
    She didn't say anything about being bored ....

OP, for your weight, that's a great burn.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Most people don't have high burns unless they're athletes. So I've read somewhere and it made sense to me. So not a big deal.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member

Clearly, working out is not best for you OP. All that weight you lost was pointless.

This.
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    I would have been happy with that!! You did well .. don't get frustrated!
    I get frustrated when i'm trying to do something like Turbofire or Zumba and I get the moves wrong which usually leads to me tripping, falling and just looking/feeling like a total idiot. That usually leads to me never doing said workout again ... even though it would be really good for me :ohwell: I need to get out of my head.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    I push and push myself and make sure I stay within heart rate. I just ran for 30mins on treadmill and then did 10 mins on treadmill of HIITs (30sec as 2.5mph with 45sec at 7.5mph). After 40mins of working out I only burned 321 calories! WTF!
    Don't do boring workouts. Do things that are actually enjoyable.

^^^^ this

find a kind of exercise you enjoy, and do it for enjoyment and to stay healthy. Count the calories burned if you need to, e.g. to eat back exercise calories.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,462 Member
    To be honest, I don't like to think of exercise in terms of calories or weight loss at all. I do it for health and fitness.

In fact, that's one thing I'm not too keen on with the MFP system. Exercise becomes a kind of trade for more food, instead of being done for its own sake. I can see that that might work well for some people, but I don't like it. It seems odd to be always be thinking "how much food is this exercise worth?". I prefer using something like the TDEE - 20% method, so that I can separate the two. If it's frustrating you, you might find that suits you better.

I'm not saying not to exercise - of course not! However, I believe that exercise has great benefits for health, but not so much benefit for weight control. If you're doing it for the second reason rather than the first, I can see why it would be disappointing and discouraging.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Well if all you're worried about is the number you could always put on 50 pounds. That way you'll burn more calories.

Forget the numbers. Be active.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    I think 321 calories in 40 minutes is entirely realistic.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    So that's how it works, not sure why this is so frustrating for you.

Because I would like to burn more than 8 calories a min, that's why.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    How is that not HIIT? My legs are only 26.5" inseam. They aren't going to go faster than 7mph, 7.5mph is REALLY pushing it for me. HIIT is accelerating HR then bringing it back down to bring back up again
  • Don't forget that your body is in calorie burning mode for a while after you finish exercising. Don't beat yourself up! You did great.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    :huh: That's about double of what I can burn in 40 minutes. :grumble:

I'd like to burn a hundred calories a minute, but I don't and it doesn't stop me from working out.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    I understand why you get frustrated. I have been holding at 150 for a while now. I see changes in my body measurements when I add in yoga and strength training. See if that helps you. Also, I loved "Mr. Shut up and trains" 30 day challenge. It is just a little different and got me motivated to work out again. You've got this. Deep breath.

I would die to be at 150 now. I have been stuck in the low 170s like for ever. Can't seem to hit the 160s.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member

Sounds to me like you are too focused on the number of calories burned. You should be focused on your physical perfomance. (i.e. are things getting easier week to week). Can you do something this week you could not do last week? Focus on those things! Also try lifting weight instead of just cardio. Building muscle will burn more calories just sitting still.

Try to find a way to make your workouts fun. Focusing on the calories you are burning is not fun.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    So that's how it works, not sure why this is so frustrating for you.

Because I would like to burn more than 8 calories a min, that's why.

The smaller you get the fewer calories you will burn. Wanna trade bodies??? :flowerforyou: