Soft Drinks lead to Flabby muscles

Options
124»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options
    If you are a personal trainer then you would be aware of high benefits of water and fresh fruit smoothies. Why not promote those?
    Hmmm?
    Because it's not my place to. People aren't stupid. They know the benefits of water and fruit. Trying to force someone to comply doesn't work. It has to be on their terms. But I don't stand by while someone tries to use "bad" science to try convince people that they are going to get flabby muscles from drinking a can of soda. On a public forum you should be prepared to defend your stance with some legitimate sources from peer reviewed clinical studies (several purporting the same results help) that can be scrutinized and questioned.
    Answer this: If someone drank on can of soda a day, do you think their muscle would get flabby if they were consistent with exercise and ate the correct macro/micro nutrients their body needs daily?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Thank you!

Off topic: You could get someone to comply with a particular behavior if they believe that everyone else is doing it. Peer pressure is extremely influential in behavior modification. If you can drop a sentence or two along the line of, "Hmmmm, strange...all the rest of my clients are drinking a lot more water and eat at least 3-4 servings of fresh fruit a day. But good job on getting lots of protein!"

The subtlety of the peer pressure will work on their subconscious. They will begin to wonder if "all the rest of your clients" know something they don't and the person will change behavior without even being consciously aware they are doing it.

I study behavioral economics for fun. It's amazing how ofter marketers use peer pressure to influence buying decisions.

It's also not that hard to spot. I think most people are smart enough to see through marketing. If not, they will be separated from their money.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Why the hostility, Could it be they own shares in the soda pop companies???

Speaking of bullies you can see the strong arm tactics the sugar industry and the supporters employ :
    This subject came up in the "Men who Made us Fat" a BBC doc on You Tube:

This comes from the Gaurdian NewsPaper and as MFP does not hypelink I will copy and paste to save you the time of looking it up.
    By the way providing copy and paste on subjects regarding health is not spam.
    Take note of the big players in this article:

Sugar industry threatens to scupper WHO
    Share 19

Sarah Boseley, health editor

The Guardian, Monday 21 April 2003 09.33 BST

The sugar industry in the US is threatening to bring the World Health Organisation to its knees by demanding that Congress end its funding unless the WHO scraps guidelines on healthy eating, due to be published on Wednesday.

The threat is being described by WHO insiders as tantamount to blackmail and worse than any pressure exerted by the tobacco lobby.

In a letter to Gro Harlem Brundtland, the WHO's director general, the Sugar Association says it will "exercise every avenue available to expose the dubious nature" of the WHO's report on diet and nutrition, including challenging its $406m (£260m) funding from the US.

The industry is furious at the guidelines, which say that sugar should account for no more than 10% of a healthy diet. It claims that the review by international experts which decided on the 10% limit is scientifically flawed, insisting that other evidence indicates that a quarter of our food and drink intake can safely consist of sugar.

"Taxpayers' dollars should not be used to support misguided, non-science-based reports which do not add to the health and well-being of Americans, much less the rest of the world," says the letter. "If necessary we will promote and encourage new laws which require future WHO funding to be provided only if the organisation accepts that all reports must be supported by the preponderance of science."

The association, together with six other big food industry groups, has also written to the US health secretary, Tommy Thompson, asking him to use his influence to get the WHO report withdrawn. The coalition includes the US Council for International Business, comprising more than 300 companies, including Coca-Cola and Pepsico.

The sugar lobby's strong-arm tactics are nothing new, according to Professor Phillip James, the British chairman of the International Obesity Taskforce who wrote the WHO's previous report on diet and nutrition in 1990. The day after his expert committee had decided on a 10% limit, the World Sugar Organisation "went into overdrive", he said. "Forty ambassadors wrote to the WHO insisting our report should be removed, on the grounds that it would do irreparable damage to countries in the developing world."

Prof James was called in by the American embassy in Geneva "to explain to them why they were suddenly getting an enormous amount of pressure from the state department to have our report retracted". The sugar industry, he discovered, had hired one of Washington's top lobbying companies.

The sugar lobby was unsuccessful that time, but now, he says, "we are getting a replay, but much more powerfully based, because the food industry seems to have a much greater influence on the Bush government".

Since his 1990 report, the International Life Sciences Institute, founded by Coca-Cola, Pepsi-Cola, General Foods, Kraft and Procter and Gamble, has also gained accreditation to the WHO and the UN's Food and Agriculture Organisation.

At one point, says Prof James, "I was asked not to send any more emails about any of the dietary aspects of health that related to sugar. I was told that within 24 hours of my sending a note, the food industry would be telephoning and arranging dinners."

Aubrey Sheiham, professor of dental public health at University College, London, Medical School, said he also encountered the strength of the sugar lobby when he was one of the experts involved in putting together an EC guideline called Eurodiet.

"I wrote the sugar part of that," he said. "When we met in Crete [in June 2000], the sugar people said if the 10% [limit] was in, the whole report would be blocked. I remember we went into a huddle with various people and some of the diplomats, and we were meeting in people's bedrooms and saying, how can we work around this?"

In the end, he said, they worked out that a recommendation that nobody should eat sugar more than four times a day was equivalent to a 10% limit. But he considered the committee had been bullied.

The Sugar Association objects to the new report having been published in draft on the WHO's website for consultation purposes, without what it considers "a broad external peer-review process". It wants a full economic analysis of the impact of the recommendations on all 192 member countries. In the letter to Dr Brundtland, it demands that Wednesday's joint launch with the Food and Agriculture Organisation be cancelled.

The report, Diet, Nutrition and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases, has already been heavily criticised by the soft drinks industry, whose members sell virtually everywhere in the world, including developing countries where malnutrition is beginning to coexist with the obesity common in affluent countries.

The industry does not accept the WHO report's conclusion that sweetened soft drinks contribute to the obesity pandemic. The Washington-based National Soft Drink Association said the report's "recommendation on added sugars is too restrictive". The association backs a 25% limit.

The WHO strongly rejects the sugar lobby's criticisms. An official said a team of 30 independent experts had considered the scientific evidence and its conclusions were in line with the findings of 23 national reports which have, on average, set targets of 10% for added sugars.

In the letter to Mr Thompson, the sugar lobby relies heavily on a recent report from the Institute of Medicine for its claim that a 25% sugar intake is acceptable. But last week, Harvey Fineberg, president of the institute, wrote to Mr Thompson to warn that the report was being misinterpreted. He says it does not make a recommendation on sugar intake.
  • mariahk35
    Options
    OP, ok so first you seem to think it's your mission yo tell us how to eat. Not your job. Second you seem to say the same things over and over, we get it. Enough already and third you have yet to lose weight and I poked through your food diary for a few weeks and I saw a chocolate chip cookie and a glazed donut. :-O So you obviously don't practice what your preaching. Maybe you should look at peoples diaries that have lost weight and see what they are doing that works rather then spouting things you think are right and trying to scare people.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    OP, ok so first you seem to think it's your mission yo tell us how to eat. Not your job. Second you seem to say the same things over and over, we get it. Enough already and third you have yet to lose weight and I poked through your food diary for a few weeks and I saw a chocolate chip cookie and a glazed donut. :-O So you obviously don't practice what your preaching. Maybe you should look at peoples diaries that have lost weight and see what they are doing that works rather then spouting things you think are right and trying to scare people.

fhW9eDF.gif
  • Minnie2361
    Options
    Well here is the skinny on the Diet Soda
    Msn healthy living I did a cut and paste to save the time looking it up:
    http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/7-side-effects-of-drinking-diet-soda
    More on sodas MSN healthy living.

The damage they can do.
    Pop quiz! What's the single biggest source of calories for Americans? White bread? Big Macs? Actually, try soda. The average American drinks about two cans of the stuff every day. "But I drink diet soda," you say. "With no calories or sugar, it's the perfect alternative for weight watchers... Right?"

Not so fast. Before you pop the top off the caramel-colored bubbly, know this: guzzling diet soda comes with its own set of side effects that may harm your health--from kickstarting kidney problems to adding inches to your waistline.

Unfortunately, diet soda is more in vogue than ever. Kids consume the stuff at more than double the rate of last decade, according to research in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Among adults, consumption has grown almost 25%.

But knowing these 7 side effects of drinking diet soda may help you kick the can for good.

Kidney Problems

Here's something you didn't know about your diet soda: It might be bad for your kidneys. In an 11-year-long Harvard Medical School study of more than 3,000 women, researchers found that diet cola is associated with a two-fold increased risk for kidney decline. Kidney function started declining when women drank more than two sodas a day. Even more interesting: Since kidney decline was not associated with sugar-sweetened sodas, researchers suspect that the diet sweeteners are responsible.

Messed-Up Metabolism

According to a 2008 University of Minnesota study of almost 10,000 adults, even just one diet soda a day is linked to a 34% higher risk of metabolic syndrome, the group of symptoms including belly fat and high cholesterol that puts you at risk for heart disease. Whether that link is attributed to an ingredient in diet soda or the drinkers' eating habits is unclear. But is that one can really worth it?

The Unhealthiest Hot Drinks

Obesity

You read that right: Diet soda doesn't help you lose weight after all. A University of Texas Health Science Center study found that the more diet sodas a person drank, the greater their risk of becoming overweight. Downing just two or more cans a day increased waistlines by 500%. Why? Artificial sweeteners can disrupt the body's natural ability to regulate calorie intake based on the sweetness of foods, suggested an animal study from Purdue University. That means people who consume diet foods might be more likely to overeat, because your body is being tricked into thinking it's eating sugar, and you crave more.

A Terrible Hangover

Your first bad decision was ordering that Vodka Diet--and you may make the next one sooner than you thought. Cocktails made with diet soda get you drunker, faster, according to a study out of the Royal Adelaide Hospital in Australia. That's because sugar-free mixers allow liquor to enter your bloodstream much quicker than those with sugar, leaving you with a bigger buzz.

Sneaky Signs You Drink Too Much

Cell Damage

Diet sodas contain something many regular sodas don't: mold inhibitors. They go by the names sodium benzoate or potassium benzoate, and they're in nearly all diet sodas. But many regular sodas, such as Coke and Pepsi, don't contain this preservative.

That's bad news for diet drinkers. "These chemicals have the ability to cause severe damage to DNA in the mitochondria to the point that they totally inactivate it--they knock it out altogether," Peter Piper, a professor of molecular biology and biotechnology at the University of Sheffield in the U.K., told a British newspaper in 1999. The preservative has also been linked to hives, asthma, and other allergic conditions, according to the Center for Science in the Public Interest.

Since then, some companies have phased out sodium benzoate. Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi have replaced it with another preservative, potassium benzoate. Both sodium and potassium benzoate were classified by the Food Commission in the UK as mild irritants to the skin, eyes, and mucous membranes.

Reverse the Damage--10 Foods to Eat for Perfect Skin

Rotting Teeth

With a pH of 3.2, diet soda is very acidic. (As a point of reference, the pH of battery acid is 1. Water is 7.) The acid is what readily dissolves enamel, and just because a soda is diet doesn't make it acid-light. Adults who drink three or more sodas a day have worse dental health, says a University of Michigan analysis of dental checkup data. Soda drinkers had far greater decay, more missing teeth, and more fillings.

Dangerous Drink and Drug Combinations

Reproductive Issues

Sometimes, the vessel for your beverage is just as harmful. Diet or not, soft drink cans are coated with the endocrine disruptor bisphenol A (BPA), which has been linked to everything from heart disease to obesity to reproductive problems. That's a lot of risktaking for one can of pop.

Rotting Teeth, just think of the DENTAL BILLS!!!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone attacking this poster? I didn't know that lynch mobs on MFP were so popular. If you wish to debate this individual, then post something that refutes what she is saying. Otherwise, you're just being bullies. This isn't cool.

Attacking? Really? She is posting silliness. Stop with the bullying accusations. It's getting that every times someone disagrees then they are accused of bullying. A lot of people disagree so a lot of people are commenting. Is that not allowed now?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

lolwut?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

lolwut?
    ha!
    mlfw9113-throwing.GIF
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

lolwut?

tin-foil-hat.jpg
  • mariahk35
    Options
    I felt the need to post because this isn't the only post she says that. She gets on other peoples posts spamming them with the same info, over and over at some point it just gets annoying.. If you don't believe me look at the one where the poster asks how bad it is to go over her sugar limit. She is all over that thing
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I just like this picture...
    5To0AC8.gif
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,462 Member
    Options
    I think this is spam. I have seen this on other threads in some manner.
  • Minnie2361
    Options
    I felt the need to post because this isn't the only post she says that. She gets on other peoples posts spamming them with the same info, over and over at some point it just gets annoying.. If you don't believe me look at the one where the poster asks how bad it is to go over her sugar limit. She is all over that thing

You have a choice , you can simply skip my post , glance over it , not read it.
    So if you are annoyed by my posts why read them?
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,462 Member
    Options
    Does anyone take this copy/paste crap seriously? Just read the op's profile...

I am getting to the point where I copy and past the thread title in a search engine and see if the OP has posted elsewhere with the same stuff, as has happened in the past. Especially if the OP has just joined or has posted this same stuff in other weight loss boards.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    :noway:
This discussion has been closed.