How bad is sugar?

Replies

• taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    So you are suggesting there is a gang of regulars who when they don't like what a new poster is posting they gang up on them?

We're suggesting that there are regular here who have read, researched and studied via PEER -Reviewed research (not some magazine trying to push the latest fad and the commercials connected with it) and have learned what to believe in and what not to.

Many of us in the start used to believe in these hypes. I was one of them who believed in "clean eating". Not anymore. i used to think I need to stay away from sugar (though never fruits. I always knew fruits were awesome!) but now I eat about 10-20% of my calories from ice cream on a daily basis and you can see my ticket, lost 55 lbs and still going.

Please, give research a chance and the regulars a chance. They're actually trying to help you by teaching you to learn from proper research.
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    As my mom always says: a little of everything in moderation ain't going to kill ya. However, I also steer clear of refined sugars. The only ones I consume are from fruit. Oh, and maple syrup.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

Mahatma Gandhi

Why are you posting quotes? Do you think that lends more credibility to your other posts?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    So you are suggesting there is a gang of regulars who when they don't like what a new poster is posting they gang up on them?

No. They are disagreeing with you, because research has shown that you are perpetuating a fear-mongering myth. There are many people on this site who lurk without posting, and part of why many people make a point of expressing their disagreement is so these lurkers don't just blindly believe you.

You seem to be completely convinced that your posts contain facts, and that is fine. No one will be able to change your mind, and I don't think anyone is actually trying. They are disproving you for the others.
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member

We're suggesting that there are regular here who have read, researched and studied via PEER -Reviewed research (not some magazine trying to push the latest fad and the commercials connected with it) and have learned what to believe in and what not to.

Many of us in the start used to believe in these hypes. I was one of them who believed in "clean eating". Not anymore. i used to think I need to stay away from sugar (though never fruits. I always knew fruits were awesome!) but now I eat about 10-20% of my calories from ice cream on a daily basis and you can see my ticket, lost 55 lbs and still going.

Please, give research a chance and the regulars a chance. They're actually trying to help you by teaching you to learn from proper research.

Bully :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    How about this part of the WHO {World Health Organizations} report
    The industry does not accept the WHO report's conclusion that sweetened soft drinks contribute to the obesity pandemic. The Washington-based National Soft Drink Association said the report's "recommendation on added sugars is too restrictive". The association backs a 25% limit.

The WHO strongly rejects the sugar lobby's criticisms. An official said a team of 30 independent experts had considered the scientific evidence and its conclusions were in line with the findings of 23 national reports which have, on average, set targets of 10% for added sugars.

In the letter to Mr Thompson, the sugar lobby relies heavily on a recent report from the Institute of Medicine for its claim that a 25% sugar intake is acceptable. But last week, Harvey Fineberg, president of the institute, wrote to Mr Thompson to warn that the report was being misinterpreted. He says it does not make a recommendation on sugar intake.

Why did you requote? It still does not make it anymore relevant.
  • Sarauk2sf
    OP: your thread seems to be the victim of a certain posters crusade to post terrible articles and irrelevant quotes.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I don't worry about the sugar in whole fruits. The fiber they contain mostly mitigates any issues that would be caused by fruit sugar consumption. I do limit my processed foods and refined sugars, though. I don't ever drink liquid sugar (soda, juice, etc.) I consider that a waste of calories. Sugar intake doesn't impact my weight at all. It's overall calorie intake that matters. Avoiding refined sugar is more of a health thing for me. I feel better without it. I get grumpy, tired, and excessively hungry when I consume a lot of sugar. :flowerforyou:
  • kimtab
    kimtab Posts: 64 Member
    I looked at Minnie's diary...she eated a cookie!!1110!111!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    I looked at Minnie's diary...she eated a cookie!!1110!111!

cookieday.jpg
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Real Bad, It causes your insulin levels to spike, spikes in blood sugar often come with a crash an hour or 2 later which leads to hunger pangs and a tendency to eat more. This leads to a vicious cycle of overeating and weight gain, and eventually can lead to diabetes.

Lets disregard One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest here. Op I have list 60 pounds all while eating sugar & drinking soda. My last physical I was 100% healthy.

*this message paid for by the Sugar Assosiation*
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Sooooooooooooooo if we agree you Minnie it's all good, but if we do not we are some sort of bully collective that cannot possibly think for ourselves and have an opinion?
  • sbbeana
    sbbeana Posts: 10 Member
    Thank you all for your input. I won't worry too much about the sugars I consume from fruit.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Thank you all for your input. I won't worry too much about the sugars I consume from fruit.

I'm glad you learned good enough lesson from the debate here.
  • kimtab
    kimtab Posts: 64 Member
    Funny, how much sugar yo eat isn't even mentioned here! http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/insulinresistance/#steps
    Huh.
  • sbbeana
    Read Good Calories Bad Calories for starts and come to your own conclusion. My mother came down with adult onset diabetes followed by vascular dementia. she's now institutionalized and me and my dad see her as often as we can. so I don't use sugar. I'm a strict low carber and feel better for it. for me, it's poison. but do the reading (yes read the entire book, footnotes and all) and come to a conclusion yourself.

Sorry to hear this happened to your mom :(
  • davenporter
    davenporter Posts: 30 Member
    I have been losing weight just fine, and I usually have about double the amount of sugar I am alotted. I focus mostly on the number of calories I am consuming, and ensure that I am intaking a lot of protein and now I'm working on making sure I'm getting more fiber.
  • sbbeana
    What are your goals? Are you meeting them? How do you feel? Are you hungry or satisfied after your smoothie? If it is working for you, why bother changing it. If is isn't, you may need to look at that, as well as what you are eating overall and how much.

Personally, I try to limit my sugar intake. Eating refined carbohydrates makes me HUNGRY. Not everyone reacts to carbs as I do. I am the living personification of the adage about Chinese food: eat it and your hungry again in an hour. I am a firm believer in the glycemic index.

My goal is to get down to 125/130 range. In June I was 154 lbs. I stated excercising but only took it seriously once I got my Polar FT7 watch and started using MFP app in July. So since June I have lost 13 lbs but I have not lost anything since Aug 13th and I am getting frustrated.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Ee2b0P4.jpg
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    How bad is sugar? :laugh:

im-bad-micheal-jackson_o_893602_zps069c74a5.jpg