Cheat days and Pepsi Max

Options

Replies

• mcowell12
    mcowell12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I drink two cans of Pepsi max a day a few times a week. I honest to goodness don't even log it most of the time.

I don't seem any worse off for it.

Same - Pepsi Max (UK) are 1.3 cals, better than most types of flavoured tea really.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I find it amusing when someone with a posted 0 pounds of weight loss tries to tell me my daily Diet Dr. Pepper is evil and will interfere with my weight loss.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Short answer:

Pepsi One/Max/Diet is fine to drink if you want to drink it. It will not affect weight loss. Calorie deficit = weight loss.

Cereal should be fine. Unless you eat, like, two whole boxes, chances are that you deficit from the week will not be undone. Log it. No big deal. It will be beneficial for you to know how much your weekly deficit is if you hit a plateau and need to evaluate your diary/caloric intake.

Good job increasing calories. I didn't look at your profile to see if you have stats, but there's no way I could survive on 1,200 OR 1,500. I feel like I'm being punished if I eat less than 2,300. Truth. :smokin:
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I find it amusing when someone with a posted 0 pounds of weight loss tries to tell me my daily Diet Dr. Pepper is evil and will interfere with my weight loss.

Having " zero pounds lost " on the ticker does not mean the person has not lost anything. It often means that the ticker only starts when the person has lost over 20 pounds. That happened to me and several others I know here in MFP.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is the debil, where have you all been?

Oh and in for ridiculous claims.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I have yet to see a study where sodas diet and otherwise improve the quality of my life, and Health {bones, teeth, hair, metabolism , weight , energy levels}

You would think with the multi millions the soda industry are making they would be able to come up with one.

Pepsi tried to make the company’s products healthy, a dip in sales panicked the shareholders they insisted it went back to flogging sugary drinks to the masses.
    http://www.expressandstar.com/entertainment/2013/08/30/tv-review-the-men-who-made-us-thin/

I've never seen a study that pancakes improve any of that stuff either, but no one ever tells me not to eat pancakes. :huh:

Something doesn't have to have a health benefit to be worth while, but rather not be harmful.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    First of all, when it comes to food, 3.2 is NOT very acidic. Considering most fruits are between 2 and 5, vinegars are all around 2-3, and honey is about a 3, food in general is very acidic. Brush your teeth. Problem solved.

As for that "study," correlation does not equal causation. It's far more likely that people with metabolic syndrome are overweight, and have switched to diet soda to try and lose weight, not that they drank diet soda and magically gained weight and contracted metabolic syndrome.

Logic and critical thinking skills are required when reading scientific studies, even more so when it's a website trying to give an interpretation of something they don't understand.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Looks like the crusade continues.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I have yet to see a study where sodas diet and otherwise improve the quality of my life, and Health {bones, teeth, hair, metabolism , weight , energy levels}

You would think with the multi millions the soda industry are making they would be able to come up with one.

Pepsi tried to make the company’s products healthy, a dip in sales panicked the shareholders they insisted it went back to flogging sugary drinks to the masses.
    http://www.expressandstar.com/entertainment/2013/08/30/tv-review-the-men-who-made-us-thin/

So?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    facepalm
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hi all. I'm new to the forum, but not new to the MFP program and apps. I just had a couple of questions and looking for opinions. I just restarted my plan and made a few tweaks (increased calorie count from 1200 to 1500). I have 15lbs to lose (current weight 200lbs). I have, what I call a cheat day on Saturdays.
    This doesn't mean that I eat three or four cheeseburgers or eat a whole pizza. For me, my cheat day consists of mainly cereal (silly, I know). I LOVE cereal (Smacks and Fruit Loops) and will generally eat about 4-5 bowls throughout the day. I may eat something else, but I usually just binge on cereal. However yesterday, I had the cereal then for dinner had pork steak and mashed potatoes. Is it okay to have a cheat day and still lose weight? I also don't log it mainly because I know my count will be out of whack.
    Also, I gave up on soda completely back in February as it has greatly contributed to my weight gain. But I recently learned about Pepsi Max and saw that it has 0 calories and sugar. Can I just drink that and not have to worry about weight gain? Do diet sodas harm weight loss at all? Thanks in advance.

If you are tracking your calories, then no, diet drinks do not, assuming that they do not trigger you to eat more. Track your intake, even on cheat days as this could easily wipe out a deficit. Weigh your food, accurately log and adjust intake according to trends (over a few weeks, not days).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    4. Aspartame is a popular artificial sweetener, both as a stand alone product and as a food and beverage ingredient.

Several rat studies have shown aspartame to cause leukemia and tumors. However, industry sponsored studies and heavy pressure on the FDA have allowed aspartame to receive the coveted GRAS (generally recognized as safe) designation.

How about quoting the dosage?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I drink the **** out of Coke Zero and other diet drinks and I almost never get headaches.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Hi all. I'm new to the forum, but not new to the MFP program and apps. I just had a couple of questions and looking for opinions. I just restarted my plan and made a few tweaks (increased calorie count from 1200 to 1500). I have 15lbs to lose (current weight 200lbs). I have, what I call a cheat day on Saturdays.
    This doesn't mean that I eat three or four cheeseburgers or eat a whole pizza. For me, my cheat day consists of mainly cereal (silly, I know). I LOVE cereal (Smacks and Fruit Loops) and will generally eat about 4-5 bowls throughout the day. I may eat something else, but I usually just binge on cereal. However yesterday, I had the cereal then for dinner had pork steak and mashed potatoes. Is it okay to have a cheat day and still lose weight? I also don't log it mainly because I know my count will be out of whack.
    Also, I gave up on soda completely back in February as it has greatly contributed to my weight gain. But I recently learned about Pepsi Max and saw that it has 0 calories and sugar. Can I just drink that and not have to worry about weight gain? Do diet sodas harm weight loss at all? Thanks in advance.
    Woo hoo cereal lovers unite!!!!
    Errr that's all I got out of this post...don't care much about the arguments for and against diet drinks. I think not too many can't be a bad thing, and there's no proven evidence that they are 'harmful' as such despite extensive research.
    Ahem carry on.
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight being a pepsi max junkie, but I have cut it out.

I personally cut it as I worried that it would start to affect my teeth. Also, I am trying to cut out a lot of artificial stuff etc, and diet fizzy drinks are just chemicals. Plus it's expensive.

I think it's a personal choice? It helped me at first as I drank it instead of having sweets etc. I doubt you'd need to log it.
  • rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to survive without my diet sodas (which I've been drinking my entire life). I've had 2 small cavities my entire life and recently lost 70 pounds. My personal experience allows to me to continue drinking. My only warning on Pepsi Max is it has a crap-ton of caffeine in it. That's where the "Max" comes from. So if that's something that affects you, then just beware of that. If not, more power to you!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    Several rat studies have shown aspartame to cause leukemia and tumors. However, industry sponsored studies and heavy pressure on the FDA have allowed aspartame to receive the coveted GRAS (generally recognized as safe) designation.

Not debating on the Pepsi Max thing cuz am into Diet Coke :bigsmile: . HOWEVER, I have rats in my yard. I put out raw aspartame to see if it would put a dent into their population. Nothing. Nada. Seriously was hoping a tumor or a heart attack or just a t*ts-up would work.
    Nothing. :drinker:

Carry on. :flowerforyou:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I drink the beep out of Coke Zero and other diet drinks and I almost never get headaches.

so this doesnt happen, right?

tumblr_lytyr3nj6o1qkikgro1_250.gif
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I drink the beep out of Coke Zero and other diet drinks and I almost never get headaches.

so this doesnt happen, right?

tumblr_lytyr3nj6o1qkikgro1_250.gif

Every time. But I am like that pawn shop alien from Men in Black, my head just grows back.
  • darkestdayz
    darkestdayz Posts: 117 Member
    Options

^
    100x this! Although with me, it's Diet Coke, which I've been drinking off and on for many years. Still have all my teeth~