Why do i feel so guilty eating so much.

Options
2»

Replies

• moglovesshoez
    moglovesshoez Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound like an *kitten* coz I don't mean this in a judgemental way, is there not another job you could do that wouldn't affect your disability? Surely if you can lift heavy weights for fun then you must be able to get a job doing something?
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My husband also wants to get into body building, which would require eating an astonishing amount of food.

Although we do not struggle, we definitely cannot afford for him to eat 5 chicken breasts a day with copious amount of tuna etc. So for now he has had to make do with a shake, which for 2 scoops and full fat milk is around 700 calories - maybe you could do that?

Also, if you are living as tightly as you possibly can then don't feel so guilty about it, it's not like you don't give a ****, you are trying. Hang in there.

Great idea! :) Didn't think of suggesting shakes!!!

I eat 1 chicken breast a day 1 can of tuna and 1 shake unless i go to the gym then i have 2.
    Chicken is cut up into 3-4 100gram servings for max. effect to absorb. My gym membership is with the Ymca and they only charge me 10$ a month. Since i can not spend a large amount of time on my feet, all my exercises with the exception of legs are done seated. So jogging is sort of out of the question anyways lol. Believe it or not this is helping i am just realizing how foolish i am being considering i am not eating a large amount of food. I sure feel better then when i was only eating 1 time a day thats for sure.

You shouldn't feel guilty for eating 1 chicken breast a day, 1 can of tuna and a shake. You would be doing more harm than good if you only eat 1 meal a day.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound like an *kitten* coz I don't mean this in a judgemental way, is there not another job you could do that wouldn't affect your disability? Surely if you can lift heavy weights for fun then you must be able to get a job doing something?

Yeah we looked into this as well. Ok well errr, without getting too personal. I was born with a tumor on my left butt cheek, had it removed when i was young but it left nerves at the surface of the skin. I can't sit very long. I was a mechanic for a production plant before the accident. I did only standing/ walking/lifting. My computer chair is actually a love seat (only thing with enough cushion for my nerve issue) I know i am all kinds of broken but you only get one body. I am going to make sure i drive this puppy into the ground before i am done.
  • shnoots
    shnoots Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If your wife was trying to lose weight and was buying special diet products that cost more than normal food, would you expect her to stop that until you got the bills under control? If the answer is yes - then you need to rethink your bulking foods.

We all need to have something for ourselves, and being broke shouldn't mean stopping living and simplyexisting, but if this is an area where you could save some cash and get the bill collectors off your *kitten*, then you need to think about it.
    Actually there isnt we live on a total of about 1600$ a month, how little do you think i should spend every 2weeks on food. Btw this was a diet for her, i just jumped onboard and since i wasn't filling up with useless carbs i decided to eat proper which was the result of this mindset. Sure i can go back to eating only when she gets home from work but that will only result in 1 of us being healthy. We are always going to be in dept because i was screwed by the system. I made my peace with that. I will go hungry if it means my wife meeting her weight goal, she has 100lbs to drop.

I'm sorry, but you spend $1600 on food? In a month? If it's just you and your wife, you can definitely cut that back. My husband and I started out with a budget of $200 a month for food and bumped it up to $500 after our son was born. If you just can't see cutting back, maybe look into some local food pantries? If you're willing to sit through a church sermon a lot of churches will give you food. There's also government assistance and soup kitchens.
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I saw a youtube video once about a raw food bodybuilder, a taxi driver, who hardly had any money. Maybe try to find it. OK he's vegan, you are not, but still, might be something interesting to see :-)

Any possibility to buy in bulk? Usually it is cheaper that way. OK, you pay a bit more in the beginning, but then you don't have to pay for food for a couple of weeks. No idea what you can get where from your side of the globe, I'm at the other side hehe :-)
  • artelyn
    artelyn Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I thought this too, but didn't know how to say it without sounding like a *kitten* too.
  • midwestmixtape
    midwestmixtape Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Dude. What the hell is up with your money problems. You make it sound like this has been going on for a while. Do you guys need a budget?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If your wife was trying to lose weight and was buying special diet products that cost more than normal food, would you expect her to stop that until you got the bills under control? If the answer is yes - then you need to rethink your bulking foods.

We all need to have something for ourselves, and being broke shouldn't mean stopping living and simplyexisting, but if this is an area where you could save some cash and get the bill collectors off your *kitten*, then you need to think about it.
    Actually there isnt we live on a total of about 1600$ a month, how little do you think i should spend every 2weeks on food. Btw this was a diet for her, i just jumped onboard and since i wasn't filling up with useless carbs i decided to eat proper which was the result of this mindset. Sure i can go back to eating only when she gets home from work but that will only result in 1 of us being healthy. We are always going to be in dept because i was screwed by the system. I made my peace with that. I will go hungry if it means my wife meeting her weight goal, she has 100lbs to drop.

I'm sorry, but you spend $1600 on food? In a month? If it's just you and your wife, you can definitely cut that back. My husband and I started out with a budget of $200 a month for food and bumped it up to $500 after our son was born. If you just can't see cutting back, maybe look into some local food pantries? If you're willing to sit through a church sermon a lot of churches will give you food. There's also government assistance and soup kitchens.

I think you'll find he means they live on $1600 total a month - like for everything. Not just food.
  • shnoots
    shnoots Posts: 82 Member
    Options

I think you'll find he means they live on $1600 total a month - like for everything. Not just food.

Oooh, that makes more sense. Thank you. I was a little flabbergasted. That's right about where we were until a few months ago - Definitely look into getting assistance.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Your inspirations (and I quote)

- having that totally sexy 6 pack.
    - Getting looks from 20+ year olds that would never look at me twice in the past
    - Supporting my wife in her weight loss journey.
    - Overall better life style.

Please take this in the positive way it is intended, after all, you posted the question and are looking for advice... you are a 42 year old married man and you are inspired by "having that totally sexy 6 pack" and "getting looks from 20+ year olds that would never look at you in the past" and now you are finding it financially difficult to meet your inspirations and you want us to validate your lifestyle choices?

First I suggest you take a hard look at your inspirations. If you are working so hard to look like Popeye (not a bad thing for body builders, but unless you are in a body building contest that will net you financial gain) you will not achieve your fourth inspiration (aspiration) of an "OVERALL BETTER LIFE STYLE". You (and your wife) just can't be living a better overall life style if you are feeling guilt over bulking up because bulking up is causing you financial hardship that results in your avoidance of bill collectors.

One last comment; this coming from someone who (at one time) also thought it inspirational to "get looks from 20+ year olds that would never look at you in the past" those 20+ year olds are not looking at you in awe and thinking wow, that's what I want to be... they are looking at you and thinking wow, that guy looks OK for an old guy! Not that 42 is old mind you... but to a 20 something... a 42 year old IS OLD!

Good luck to you in your journey and hopes you find a happy medium where you ultimately feel good about yourself and your choices.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The cheapest and best

Ramen noodles + tuna .

Sorry to hear about your financial struggles mate , keep strong and don't let anything bring you down . Life throws these obstacles , just show life how tough you really are.
    I don't eat ramen noodles they upset my stomach and the tuna we get is 1.17$ a can. This really is just my mindset, my wife thinks i am crazy, before our diet we would only eat 1 meal a day (supper) just to keep from spending money on groceries. Ever since i got hurt and couldn't work we have been dodging bill collectors, hell we have already gone bankrupt 8 years ago.A life lesson. Just because you never did anything wrong, doesn't mean you won't suffer.
    Why cant you work, this only affects your feet and surely pain killers would go along way to helping you. I dont mean to be rude, but if you can lift weights etc and body build you should be able to work and in this country, you have to be the living dead before they wouldnt be trying to find you a job. And i have to agree, forget about the body building, your house is more important than a body full of muscles.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    This is not exactly a common issue i am sure. I woke up this morning and could not get this out of my head. Most of you know i bodybuild which requires a very high amount of protein. Even though i am set up with a calorie deficit i still end up eating a lot of food. We have very limited funds and I feel that eating so much food is being selfish in a sort. We have bill collectors knocking at our door and i am concerned with getting enough food to eat. I feel guilty every time i open a can of tuna. My wife does not give me a guilt trip but she does get concerned on having enough groceries. I really don't mind being a poorer folk, sht happens in life that we can not control and my disability was one in ours. When i do not work out I am eating only 1950 calories, which for me is really low. Maybe i can't afford to build my body at this point in time? Anyways more or less just a post to get things off my chest.

I'm confused - you are on disability but you are body building? How is it that you can body build but not work?

In my opinion, all "extras" need to be set aside until bills can be paid off. Pay your rent / mortgage and utilities first, set yourself a grocery budget that buys just what you need (see your local food pantry for help as well), and put the rest toward paying off your bills. Get some help from a credit counseling service if need be. Once you have your debts paid off you can go back to body building.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Plantar fasciitis (PF) is a painful inflammatory process of the plantar fascia, the connective tissue or ligament on the sole (bottom surface) of the foot. It is often caused by overuse of the plantar fascia, increases in activities, weight or age. It is a very common condition and can be difficult to treat if not looked after properly.
    Longstanding cases of plantar fasciitis often demonstrate more degenerative changes than inflammatory changes, in which case they are termed plantar fasciosis.[1] The suffix "osis" implies a pathology of chronic degeneration without inflammation. Since tendons and ligaments do not contain blood vessels, they do not actually become inflamed. Instead, injury to the tendon is usually the result of an accumulation over time of microscopic tears at the cellular level.
    The plantar fascia is a thick fibrous band of connective tissue originating on the bottom surface of the calcaneus (heel bone) and extending along the sole of the foot towards the toes. It has been reported that plantar fasciitis occurs in two million Americans a year and in 10% of the U.S. population over a lifetime.[2] It is commonly associated with long periods of weight bearing and much more prevalent with hyper-pronation (flat feet). Among non-athletic populations, it is associated with a high body mass index.[3] The pain is usually felt on the underside of the heel and is often most intense with the first steps of the day. Another symptom is that the sufferer has difficulty bending the foot so that the toes are brought toward the shin (decreased dorsiflexion of the ankle). A symptom commonly recognized among sufferers of plantar fasciitis is an increased probability of knee pains, especially among runners
    what has this to do with your butt?
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    If money is tight, then you have to prioritize how you spend your money. Paying bills is more important than bodybuilding. Body build later when your financial situation improves. My opinion, plain and simple. Been there, done that myself. I can remember sitting on the floor counting money out of the money jar to get a few groceries. It's difficult, so I hope things improve for you soon.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Plantar fasciitis (PF) is a painful inflammatory process of the plantar fascia, the connective tissue or ligament on the sole (bottom surface) of the foot. It is often caused by overuse of the plantar fascia, increases in activities, weight or age. It is a very common condition and can be difficult to treat if not looked after properly.
    Longstanding cases of plantar fasciitis often demonstrate more degenerative changes than inflammatory changes, in which case they are termed plantar fasciosis.[1] The suffix "osis" implies a pathology of chronic degeneration without inflammation. Since tendons and ligaments do not contain blood vessels, they do not actually become inflamed. Instead, injury to the tendon is usually the result of an accumulation over time of microscopic tears at the cellular level.
    The plantar fascia is a thick fibrous band of connective tissue originating on the bottom surface of the calcaneus (heel bone) and extending along the sole of the foot towards the toes. It has been reported that plantar fasciitis occurs in two million Americans a year and in 10% of the U.S. population over a lifetime.[2] It is commonly associated with long periods of weight bearing and much more prevalent with hyper-pronation (flat feet). Among non-athletic populations, it is associated with a high body mass index.[3] The pain is usually felt on the underside of the heel and is often most intense with the first steps of the day. Another symptom is that the sufferer has difficulty bending the foot so that the toes are brought toward the shin (decreased dorsiflexion of the ankle). A symptom commonly recognized among sufferers of plantar fasciitis is an increased probability of knee pains, especially among runners
    what has this to do with your butt?

Nothing, its the fact that i have the plantar fascitis as well as another condition which i have yet to be told what it is. Feet turn blue, red with temp. Circulation is fine had it checked, also have this nerve issue which is why i can't sit long. I lay down most of the time to be honest. I have to keep my feet raised and straight so they dont turn color. But getting back to the issue of the post. I really was feeling guilty because i was eating normal and felt i should go back to the way i was before. Living on popcorn, cheap filler. I am not bulking and as you can see by my diary i only eat 1950 calories. I am on a deficit and as a result was looking to find my abs. If anything i am cutting. Just trying to give my body the bottom line to keep it healthy. Trust me i long to work, i have dreamed about it for the past 8 years now. I want to be in control of what we can and can not have in life. Doctors say good luck with my conditions, i even tried to find something online for a job. However I do enter contests which has saved our butts on many occasions. Just waiting for the big win hehe.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Years ago I worked with a guy with a really bad back, He was unable to sit for too long because sitting would be so painful for him. So he fashioned a corner in the office & made it a desk and worked standing. The entire day, every day, 5 days a week. He found a way.

I know you have issues , but I hope you can find a way too OP.