How would your dog protect you?

Options
124»

Replies

• zombieyoshi
    Options
    When I was little we had lab mix, my brothers and I were playing in the backyard and a man came in our yard for god knows what, as soon as he got into the back our dog attacked him, protecting us. For the dogs I have now, one is a sweetheart and too nice, but out other dog, an American foxhound, is super protective if I'm alone with him. I'll be out walking him, and he doesn't care if he sees people, but if a man walks up to me he absolutely loses it, and acts like he is going to rip their face off. He's given a couple people warning snips when the come inside, just to let them no what's up if they try anything sketchy.

Do you really think it ok that your dog gives people "warning nips" for no reason? Or goes crazy for no other reason than ther person approaching is a male? He is not protective, he is fearful.

Do you really think your being a fun member of this forum? Butthurt much? Sorry to overwhelm you with questions I love meeting new people~!

I don't think you know what that word means. How on earth does that make me butthurt?

No, I might not be being a fun member right now. I wasnt aware that every post had to be "fun". I take dog issues seriously and the idea that people think its ok to let a dog bite is a little surprising to me.

Perhaps I should have been more specific, he has not bitten anybody first off. When he nips he smacks with his teeth, and the two people he has nipped both entered the house uninvited and unannounced, in which case I would have been fine with him biting them, he stopped immediately when told, and he knows not to bite unless absolutely necessary. In any case that's why we have a warning on the door. As for the walking thing, dogs sense emotions, so I'm sure he sensed my unease and intimidation from being approached by a strange man in the dark, and acts accordingly. The same reason he does not mind when women, children or male friends approach me, he is happy as can be. I never once said I am okay with dogs biting without cause, perhaps you should reread my original post. I thought this was a thread about protective dogs. I'm sure you'll still have some issue with this, but oh well. Have a good day :)
  • bennysammysofie
    Options
    120 lb Brazilian mastiff. I wouldn't come in if I was anyone he wasn't familiar with.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Unless your dog is specifically trained in protection work, chances are nothing.

Dogs have two reactions - fight or flight. They'll try one and resort to the other if needed. When they are growling at a stranger in the bushes, that would be fight. If the threat continues, and your dog has the option, there's a good chance they'll opt for flight.

What people view as a dog being "protective" is often more of a weak temperament or possessiveness than it is protection.

QFT
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    When I was little we had lab mix, my brothers and I were playing in the backyard and a man came in our yard for god knows what, as soon as he got into the back our dog attacked him, protecting us. For the dogs I have now, one is a sweetheart and too nice, but out other dog, an American foxhound, is super protective if I'm alone with him. I'll be out walking him, and he doesn't care if he sees people, but if a man walks up to me he absolutely loses it, and acts like he is going to rip their face off. He's given a couple people warning snips when the come inside, just to let them no what's up if they try anything sketchy.

Do you really think it ok that your dog gives people "warning nips" for no reason? Or goes crazy for no other reason than ther person approaching is a male? He is not protective, he is fearful.

Do you really think your being a fun member of this forum? Butthurt much? Sorry to overwhelm you with questions I love meeting new people~!

I don't think you know what that word means. How on earth does that make me butthurt?

No, I might not be being a fun member right now. I wasnt aware that every post had to be "fun". I take dog issues seriously and the idea that people think its ok to let a dog bite is a little surprising to me.

I agree with 3dogsrunning. A dog shouldn't be nipping at people. It's either a fearful response or one of dominance/disrespect. This should be corrected immediately and you should be aware that many people will still report a small nip.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    My dog is RIDICULOUSLY protective.

When I lived 'at home', my step-dad once attacked me, and my dog bit him so he had to get a Tetanus. Whenever, my bedroom door would open, he'd go mental to stop anyone coming in. He still does this now.
    If someone's near me and I scream, he gets aggressive. If a strange man comes over to me, he gets aggressive.

He's my bestbestbest friend, and the thing I love most in this World :love: He's lovely most of the time, but would bite anyone who got close to me.

If you really love your dog (and it sounds like you do), you will want to work on helping him get over his aggressive tendencies. If he bites someone and they report it, it could end very badly for your dog.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Unless your dog is specifically trained in protection work, chances are nothing.

Dogs have two reactions - fight or flight. They'll try one and resort to the other if needed. When they are growling at a stranger in the bushes, that would be fight. If the threat continues, and your dog has the option, there's a good chance they'll opt for flight.

What people view as a dog being "protective" is often more of a weak temperament or possessiveness than it is protection.

QFT

So strongly agree.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I always wonder about the rare random stranger that Cooper doesn't like. He loves people but every now and then he just doesn't like a person. Hackles up, growling or barking at them. Knowing my dog, he considers them a threat. It doesn't happen very often, but it always makes me wonder what Cooper senses about them, since the rest of the time he loves meeting new people.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Our current dog may bite if someone were attacking me, but it would be more of a fear reaction than protection. We've only had him a month & I'm looking into getting him a trainer for this & a couple other behavior issues (he's a rescue).

Our old dog, MacLeod, was a German Shepard mix & he was protective. I was really surprised too because he was a very gentle, friendly dog. We used to live out in the country on a 38 acre farm & it was really out in the middle of nowhere--a 25 minute drive to town. When we first move there, I didn't have a job yet so I was home alone all day. One day I was out in the yard & a man just appeared in the yard. MacLeod rushed him & kept him well away from me--just planted himself in the path & was very threatening. The guy was just looking for permission to hunt on our land, but it did freak me out that he was just wandering the property & I was grateful that MacLeod wouldn't let him close.