Not losing weight

13»

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member

Calorie deficit for weight loss and exercise for fitness. If you are not losing weight, there is a miscalculation somewhere along the line. However, you stated you are losing inches, so maybe focus on that instead of scale weight? Also, if you are eating at a deficit, you are not gaining any muscle.

That is not necessarily true, you can gain muscle on a calorie deficit, I have. If you are getting enough protein, and still eating a calorie deficit, and working on your strength, fat will burn off and some of it will be replaced with muscle. Your body will get the extra calories it needs by burning up fat. That is as long as you don't eat so low as to get into metabolic slow-down.

More than likely you simply reduced the amount of body fat you have and it revealed the muscle that was already there......highly doubt that you gained any muscle. (if you did, it would be a miniscule amount attributed to being new to weight lifting)
  • ktpod1
    ktpod1 Posts: 83 Member
    I have been on mfp the same length of time. Lost at first and nothing...even gained...frustrating. I just started looking at tdee and looking at If It Fits Your Macros. Trying to see if eating more is the trick! Oh, nice to see that you are on the C25k program. I will be starting W6D1 soon. Friend me if you could use another supporter! Good luck.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member

More than likely you simply reduced the amount of body fat you have and it revealed the muscle that was already there......highly doubt that you gained any muscle. (if you did, it would be a miniscule amount attributed to being new to weight lifting)

I actually increased my biceps considerably, and went from barely being able to do a push up from my knees to doing them from my toes one handed.

However, it IS true that there is a limit to how much you can build. You aren't going to bulk up and start resembling Arnold while eating at a deficit. However, if you are overweight it is certainly possible to gain some muscle and strength while eating a deficit, and is often part of the reason the number on the scale stays the same while inches are lost. Fat is being replaced with muscle.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member

Calorie deficit for weight loss and exercise for fitness. If you are not losing weight, there is a miscalculation somewhere along the line. However, you stated you are losing inches, so maybe focus on that instead of scale weight? Also, if you are eating at a deficit, you are not gaining any muscle.

That is not necessarily true, you can gain muscle on a calorie deficit, I have. If you are getting enough protein, and still eating a calorie deficit, and working on your strength, fat will burn off and some of it will be replaced with muscle. Your body will get the extra calories it needs by burning up fat. That is as long as you don't eat so low as to get into metabolic slow-down.

While the OP does not seem interested in becoming a bodybuilder, this may help explain what I'm talking about as far building muscle at a calorie deficit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi-jnsG0Z7Y