Is 5 2 just a fad?

Options

Replies

• idratherbecooking
    Options
    I have been doing the 5 2 for a couple of weeks and I think it's fabulous. My first 500 day was very difficult but I got through it and it's been smooth sailing since. You really have to plan out your two 500 days and stick to them. I usually choose Monday which works great for me after the weekend, and a Wednesday or Thursday. Between this fabulous website and my 5 2 , I am feeling really good , and yes you can work out on your restricted calorie days. Really, like weight watchers this just forces you to make smart choices. I recommend that you at least try this before you knock it!
  • purplepaisley7
    Options
    Earlier in August, my husband and I watched the BBC special by Dr. Michael Moseley entitled Eat, Fast and Live Longer (we watched it on Netflix) and we were very intrigued with the studies and results cited in the program.

Along with that I read about a small study presented at the American Diabetes Association this past June, summarized here: http://www.clinicalendocrinologynews.com/news/top-news/single-article/two-meals-per-day-better-than-six-in-t2dm/2d5f5b0341895132c201ab087b4334d8.html.

I have Type 2 Diabetes and I am also Insulin Resistant (Metabolic Syndrome). For me personally, eating every 3 to 4 hours just means my body is releasing insulin more frequently in response to the more frequent meals, which in turn does not help my insulin resistance.

I started the 5:2 fasting on 8/12/13 not as a quick weight loss fad, but as a way to increase my health benefits overall (which are listed in the documentary by Dr. Moseley) and mainly to reduce my insulin resistance. I should also note that in mid-July my husband and I changed our eating to reflect a more primal/paleo lifestyle. We also exercise 3 to 5 days a week. While he had great success just doing that (he lost 20 lbs in 5 weeks) I was still experiencing a plateau.

So on August 12th, I started doing the 5:2 IF and this past week have been making a concerted effort to keep my meals to 2 larger ones a day, having a larger meal for dinner as I like to eat in the evenings (or 3 a day with 2 smaller meals during the day and still keeping the larger one for later)! By making these changes it has helped me to break that several month long plateau and I've lost 5 lbs in 3 weeks! Now I know the 'experts' say we should eat 6 small meals, and not eat too much in the evening, but what I started doing 3 weeks ago is working much better for me!

One thing I have discovered is that no matter what you believe about a subject, you can find 'research' to support almost any position somewhere on the internet. Is 5:2 IF for everyone - no. I think the important thing is to do your own research, and find what works best for you, what you can live with for the rest of your life. I have no problem with people who disagree and think 5:2 is a fad, because that is their choice and I have made my own choice!
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    It is unnecessary, but it will work because of the calorie restriction. I feel like you would be better off with just lowering your calories a little bit for everyday than doing that.

.....and if restricting on 2 days works better with someone's lifestyle? If someone simply prefers restricting on 2 days a week?

Clearly that sort of person wouldn't be 'better off' lowering their calories 7 days a week because it wouldn't suit their lifestyle or their preferences and therefore they're far less likely to adhere to it long enough to get the desired weight loss.

I've warned you before. MsP.... stop making sense. You'll get a reputation!
  • LibertyChamp
    LibertyChamp Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It is unnecessary, but it will work because of the calorie restriction. I feel like you would be better off with just lowering your calories a little bit for everyday than doing that.

Yes, but this would entail counting calories every meal and every day. I think that would suck for me. It is time consuming and honestly, to me it feels a bit obsessive/compulsive. With the 5:2, I only have to focus on 2 days and now that I have reached my goal, I may go to a 6:1 and have only 1 day to micromanage.
  • LibertyChamp
    LibertyChamp Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Earlier in August, my husband and I watched the BBC special by Dr. Michael Moseley entitled Eat, Fast and Live Longer (we watched it on Netflix) and we were very intrigued with the studies and results cited in the program.

Along with that I read about a small study presented at the American Diabetes Association this past June, summarized here: http://www.clinicalendocrinologynews.com/news/top-news/single-article/two-meals-per-day-better-than-six-in-t2dm/2d5f5b0341895132c201ab087b4334d8.html.

I have Type 2 Diabetes and I am also Insulin Resistant (Metabolic Syndrome). For me personally, eating every 3 to 4 hours just means my body is releasing insulin more frequently in response to the more frequent meals, which in turn does not help my insulin resistance.

I started the 5:2 fasting on 8/12/13 not as a quick weight loss fad, but as a way to increase my health benefits overall (which are listed in the documentary by Dr. Moseley) and mainly to reduce my insulin resistance. I should also note that in mid-July my husband and I changed our eating to reflect a more primal/paleo lifestyle. We also exercise 3 to 5 days a week. While he had great success just doing that (he lost 20 lbs in 5 weeks) I was still experiencing a plateau.

So on August 12th, I started doing the 5:2 IF and this past week have been making a concerted effort to keep my meals to 2 larger ones a day, having a larger meal for dinner as I like to eat in the evenings (or 3 a day with 2 smaller meals during the day and still keeping the larger one for later)! By making these changes it has helped me to break that several month long plateau and I've lost 5 lbs in 3 weeks! Now I know the 'experts' say we should eat 6 small meals, and not eat too much in the evening, but what I started doing 3 weeks ago is working much better for me!

One thing I have discovered is that no matter what you believe about a subject, you can find 'research' to support almost any position somewhere on the internet. Is 5:2 IF for everyone - no. I think the important thing is to do your own research, and find what works best for you, what you can live with for the rest of your life. I have no problem with people who disagree and think 5:2 is a fad, because that is their choice and I have made my own choice!

Kudos! I also second your opinions. :happy:
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Who knows? It has been around a while and some people find it helpful.

We do know from studies that meal timing doesn't matter, so it falls within the fine to do, but very likely not helpful beyond helping with individual adherence category, just like any IF strategy or 6 meals a day.

So, if it works for you, that's great, go with it. Just don't think that it's a magical solution.

Magical solution? Magical solution is drinking green tea to make your metabolism faster. That is a magical solution.

5:2 requires planning and it requires work. I much, much rather restrict twice a week and be able to eat what I want the other 5 days. But that's just me.

I must admit that people make us believe that we HAVE to eat. I used to believe that if I didn't eat 3 meals a day + snacks, I'd get heartburn or my sugar would go down and I would slow down and fall asleep.

Uhm.. no.

Apparently I don't have stomach issues anymore, and my sugar issue is gone. How? I have no idea and I don't care.

I never thought that I'd lose weight while moving through different countries, but I am. It might not make sense for some, but it makes sense to me. If it's calorie restriction or not, or if you think it'd be easier to just daily restrict 1300 calories a day.. Well, maybe for you it'd be easier, but for me it's not. The results are the same (weekly calorie restriction), why do you care about the method??

And I'm done with this. This weekend I found that I lost another 1.5 pounds, and a couple of dress sizes (and one size for skirts). All of this in two months. It might be a fad, but believe me when I say that I'm choosing THIS over low fat, low cal, eternally counting, vegetarian lifestyle. And I tried them all.

I'm off to celebrate my fasting day with a huge salad, some coffee and a gigantic vegetables, avocado and feta omelette for dinner! Cheers! :drinker:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Who knows? It has been around a while and some people find it helpful.

We do know from studies that meal timing doesn't matter, so it falls within the fine to do, but very likely not helpful beyond helping with individual adherence category, just like any IF strategy or 6 meals a day.

So, if it works for you, that's great, go with it. Just don't think that it's a magical solution.

Magical solution? Magical solution is drinking green tea to make your metabolism faster. That is a magical solution.

5:2 requires planning and it requires work. I much, much rather restrict twice a week and be able to eat what I want the other 5 days. But that's just me.

I must admit that people make us believe that we HAVE to eat. I used to believe that if I didn't eat 3 meals a day + snacks, I'd get heartburn or my sugar would go down and I would slow down and fall asleep.

Uhm.. no.

Apparently I don't have stomach issues anymore, and my sugar issue is gone. How? I have no idea and I don't care.

I never thought that I'd lose weight while moving through different countries, but I am. It might not make sense for some, but it makes sense to me. If it's calorie restriction or not, or if you think it'd be easier to just daily restrict 1300 calories a day.. Well, maybe for you it'd be easier, but for me it's not. The results are the same (weekly calorie restriction), why do you care about the method??

And I'm done with this. This weekend I found that I lost another 1.5 pounds, and a couple of dress sizes (and one size for skirts). All of this in two months. It might be a fad, but believe me when I say that I'm choosing THIS over low fat, low cal, eternally counting, vegetarian lifestyle. And I tried them all.

I'm off to celebrate my fasting day with a huge salad, some coffee and a gigantic vegetables, avocado and feta omelette for dinner! Cheers! :drinker:

Um . . . okay? Not sure what I said about it not being "magical" that you're taking issue with. It is simply a way of cutting calories. Adherence to any diet is usually the key factor of success, and I'm not sure what "if it works for you, that's great, go with it" . . . Never mind. All or nothing. Black and white. meh
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Why can't people sustain it? Clearly some people have....
    It is not a fad, Dr Michael Mosely has been doing it for over 10 years, and it was he who made the TV programme that triggered the recent interest

Ir is not a diet plan, it is aimed at health, weight loss is a by product

There are 5.2 groups on here, have a search & take your pick

its a fad diet that is not sustainable for the average person

Why is that?

If you follow the instructions to the dot, you find that your weekly deficit is exactly the same as the one marked by MFP. The only difference is that instead of choosing to create a deficit 7 days a week, you choose to do it on 2 days.

Those 2 days? I call them "salad days" to my RL friends who I'm too lazy to explain this. I basically eat salads with LF dressing and egg white omelette by dinner. I'm not starving. But this way, if I go out to lunch with my friends (as today), I won't have to worry too much about eating out and the secret oil and eating salads every single day. When you travel so much, and you have so much time to explore different countries and cultures.. well.. this way of deficit works much better!

Probably it'd be differnet if I stayed at home all day (as for me, being busy helps a lot).

Overall, I've lost around 5 - 6 kilos in one month and a half (I exercise though) and I still enjoy eating out.

So yeah.. truly it is a fad.. Just like MFP method I guess.
    yea because MFP restricts 2 days out of the week for you.

The average person's lifestyle does not function like that. Most people cant sustain a diet such as that. You just started the diet and you only been on it for a month.

My point exactly. You have no room to talk about why its sustainable.

I am a very average person.

I did this for a year (though I don't call it 5:2, I call it IF or Eat Stop Eat). I stopped when I got pregnant. When I finish breastfeeding, I intend to start up again.

Why does it work for me? Because I like to go out to dinner and splurge from time to time. I enjoy a beer after work with my work buddies. I don't like having to stick to 1500 calories per day. Most average people probably would find it hard to stick to 1500 calories per day for years to lose weight. Having a fast day just means you can have a deficit on 2 days a week instead of 7. I think it's way more sustainable than just calorie counting personally.

and you still arent near your target weight.

I dont think 90%+ of people would enjoy this lifestyle.

You have to start this lifestyle in order to lose weight and is not sustainable for yourself. You are proof yourself

I just had a baby - I gained weight when I was pregnant because that's what happens when you are pregnant - I am losing weight again now that I've had the baby. I've actually lost a total of about 160lbs - so your point is moot.

I lost weight when I was fasting and I would happily sustain it as a permanent solution. I just can't do it right now as I need to sustain a second life and can't CR.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It'll probably go down on the books as a fad, but it's a legit diet plan. It's just another way of calorie restricting. It's not for everyone, but it seems to be working for me so far.
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I seriously worry about people who do things like this. Overall, net calories for the week are far too low, and there's no need for it. When I was restricting calories I noticed a difference in my mood and energy, and I wasn't even taking it that low. You might not notice until you stop doing it, but there are definitely healthier ways to go about it.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I seriously worry about people who do things like this. Overall, net calories for the week are far too low, and there's no need for it. When I was restricting calories I noticed a difference in my mood and energy, and I wasn't even taking it that low. You might not notice until you stop doing it, but there are definitely healthier ways to go about it.

Reading one thread (I'm guessing you read 1st page at most) on MFP, lol, does not make for an informed opinion.

Congrats on your loss Gemma. How are you maintaining?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

So you are telling me I have no energy on fasting days? Tell that to my 10km runs when I have nothing to eat. Tell that to the marathon I walk every day, and do it better on fasting days.

My mood? Well let's see...... I don't have to take my anti-depressants anymore.... hows that for mood.

I have every 3rd day as a total fasting day...zero calories..... more energy, better mood & oh wait.... still losing as well.

I wish people would just leave it alone already. Just because THEY cant do it for some reason or think that THEY could not do it or think that THEY are doing it better or that THEY know better.... does not mean THEY are right.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Why can't people sustain it? Clearly some people have....
    It is not a fad, Dr Michael Mosely has been doing it for over 10 years, and it was he who made the TV programme that triggered the recent interest

Ir is not a diet plan, it is aimed at health, weight loss is a by product

There are 5.2 groups on here, have a search & take your pick

its a fad diet that is not sustainable for the average person

Why is that?

If you follow the instructions to the dot, you find that your weekly deficit is exactly the same as the one marked by MFP. The only difference is that instead of choosing to create a deficit 7 days a week, you choose to do it on 2 days.

Those 2 days? I call them "salad days" to my RL friends who I'm too lazy to explain this. I basically eat salads with LF dressing and egg white omelette by dinner. I'm not starving. But this way, if I go out to lunch with my friends (as today), I won't have to worry too much about eating out and the secret oil and eating salads every single day. When you travel so much, and you have so much time to explore different countries and cultures.. well.. this way of deficit works much better!

Probably it'd be differnet if I stayed at home all day (as for me, being busy helps a lot).

Overall, I've lost around 5 - 6 kilos in one month and a half (I exercise though) and I still enjoy eating out.

So yeah.. truly it is a fad.. Just like MFP method I guess.
    yea because MFP restricts 2 days out of the week for you.

The average person's lifestyle does not function like that. Most people cant sustain a diet such as that. You just started the diet and you only been on it for a month.

My point exactly. You have no room to talk about why its sustainable.

I am a very average person.

I did this for a year (though I don't call it 5:2, I call it IF or Eat Stop Eat). I stopped when I got pregnant. When I finish breastfeeding, I intend to start up again.

Why does it work for me? Because I like to go out to dinner and splurge from time to time. I enjoy a beer after work with my work buddies. I don't like having to stick to 1500 calories per day. Most average people probably would find it hard to stick to 1500 calories per day for years to lose weight. Having a fast day just means you can have a deficit on 2 days a week instead of 7. I think it's way more sustainable than just calorie counting personally.

and you still arent near your target weight.

I dont think 90%+ of people would enjoy this lifestyle.

You have to start this lifestyle in order to lose weight and is not sustainable for yourself. You are proof yourself

I just had a baby - I gained weight when I was pregnant because that's what happens when you are pregnant - I am losing weight again now that I've had the baby. I've actually lost a total of about 160lbs - so your point is moot.

I lost weight when I was fasting and I would happily sustain it as a permanent solution. I just can't do it right now as I need to sustain a second life and can't CR.
    people do not need to gain 14kg after being pregnant. JS
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

energy storage fat and glycogen are not fully depleted during the day and energby is not shut off at the end of the week. the only reason a 5:2 diet works is due to the caloric density that our foods currently have(processed foods). if people knew how to control their diet that would be much more versatile instead of deciding if this is the day they eat or not
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

So you are telling me I have no energy on fasting days? Tell that to my 10km runs when I have nothing to eat. Tell that to the marathon I walk every day, and do it better on fasting days.

My mood? Well let's see...... I don't have to take my anti-depressants anymore.... hows that for mood.

I have every 3rd day as a total fasting day...zero calories..... more energy, better mood & oh wait.... still losing as well.

I wish people would just leave it alone already. Just because THEY cant do it for some reason or think that THEY could not do it or think that THEY are doing it better or that THEY know better.... does not mean THEY are right.

the marathon you claim to walk in 4 hours -speed of the world record holder?

you're right. i couldn't do that. you are *incredible*.
  • robinmobile
    Options
    I've been doing the 5:2 for 8 months and have lost about 11lbs. However, I do not restrict what I eat on non fast days and found that after about 5months my body was hungrier on non fast days than it had been before&I started eating more and more over a week, probably rendering the fast days moot. I put it down to the fact that your body gets used to anything after a while and sorts your metabolism accordingly. So I was losing slower, if at all, and eating more. My blood pressure went down and cholesterol, my mood swings, periods etc were much better and I did gain an understanding of what we actually need to survive, what food is better at stopping hunger and a healthier relationship with food.
    I hated counting calories daily and didn't have drastic weight to lose. I am very short and curvy and it did work for me. Now, though, I am interspersing 5:2 with MFP (which I did for 6 months a year ago) as I have had a few bad months of eating out a lot and being lax with non fast days. I would also like to lose a bit quicker. I do swim a few times a week, but personally find it very difficult on a fast day so need some way of estimating how many calories I've taken in and used on swim and normal food days.
    All diets are fads and not all work for everyone. The idea of 5:2 is to do it for life/ very long term (or versions thereof). Personally, despite a lot of positives, I still need an additional diet plan to assist me. Perhaps once I've reached my target weight, I will use 5:2 to maintain it but my honest opinion is, its great for long term plans but you have to be patient for weight loss results and many other ones are quicker. I can praise it, but after a long time in it, I also see its limitations and the main one for me is the really slow weight loss... My hubby loves it and it stops him snack eating which was his downfall. He is a scientist and liked the science behind it. He is also disciplined and doesn't like wine as much as me so he sometimes has 3fast days because it reduces his deficit further and doesn't affect him.
  • hazelsmrf
    hazelsmrf Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm not currently doing intermittent fasting but when I was, it was every other day, 500 calories alternating with 2500 calories, for an average of 1500 calories per day. This worked for me because I personally did not enjoy eating 1500 calories every day, it always left me wanting more, but with alternate day fasting I only had to go with low calories half the time, and could feast on the other days. It was sustainable for me for a while. I'm not sure why after months I eventually became less rigid about it.

Even now though, I work out at the gym fasted every time. I drink a protein shake before I go and that's all that I have pre workouts.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    What exactly are the purported health benefits to this way of eating and are there any actual clinical trials proving that it works? Not for weight loss because I get how that can work but actual health benefits with scientific proof to back them up.

No. Not yet. There have been lots of studies on rats and mice. Think the whole 'on fast days you are just repairing, not making new cells' to be bit speculative.

I did try the 5:2. It wasn't for me. I was too anxious on fast days. Not sure why? I find it far easier to spread my calorie restriction over all 7 days. I may revisit a 6:1 once I've reached my goal weight, for maintenance. I do think an occasional fast to be beneficial for the body, though I don't have the hard science to back it up.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

energy storage fat and glycogen are not fully depleted during the day and energby is not shut off at the end of the week. the only reason a 5:2 diet works is due to the caloric density that our foods currently have(processed foods). if people knew how to control their diet that would be much more versatile instead of deciding if this is the day they eat or not

Actually you will find most 5:2 people have excellent control over their diet. Eating this way is actually more versatile than just eating lower every single day, you keep missing that point made out to you. It's easy enough to go out with family/friends or whatever at a moment notice if needs be & not worry about counting or going over your set limit because you know the following day you could just fast, you can swap the days you do it to suit you. It makes more sense to do it this way & actually fits into peoples lives easier.

I'd rather much not have to obsess about calories every single day....that leads to an ED.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

DatMurse... It's already been said..time and again. We get it. You can't imagine why people choose this method over yours. You started in April, you've found your way..congrats.
    I did it your way too. Nothing you have said is new to me. Nothing you have said makes 5:2 less of an option that your method. Could not imagine needing to do anything else. Lost 42kg. Why would I choose to do this method then? I'm not needing to answer that because others have. You haven't read the book, you haven't and probably won't try it (fine, understood, no 5:2 person pushes it) so you will never have to understand it. Your final comment, on that score is just as ignorant as Gemma's.