Average calories in a day

Options
I was reading another post where somebody said they pretty much burn 1500 in exercise calories a day. I can't see how that is even possible unless you were running a marathon or something every day. So I was curious what people burn. I reckon I probably burn about maybe 300 a day on average over a week.

Replies

• Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Between 500-700 a day
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Can I also ask what sort of things you do for that? Really just because I am nosey ;)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the other post, but a couple of things to consider. If you're a 200 lb dude, you'll burn 1000 calories running for an hour. If you're more than 200 lbs, the calorie count goes up even higher. I'm not a 200 lb dude, so I burn 500 or so running for an hour. The size of the person claiming the 1500 cal/day burn is a huge factor.

Activity trackers like Fitbit, jawbone up, bodymedia, etc track activity all day long. Assuming the accounts are linked, calories burned (as counted by the trackers) over and above whatever mfp thinks you'll burn are automatically added as "exercise" calories. Someone with an activity tracker will likely be accumulating slightly more exercise calories than someone who is manually entering just their workouts. The activity trackers don't know the difference between you sprinting to catch the bus and you sprinting as part of a run. It only knows you sprinted. Mfp expected you to be not sprinting when you ran for the bus, so those are "bonus" exercise calories. How many of these "bonus" calories you accumulate depends on what your activity level setting is in mfp.

So yes, it's possible to get 1500 calorie burns per day. Not for me, but for some people.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Thank you - did not think of the weight thing having that much affect although I had wondered about the "bonus" exercise. I simply could not imagine how anyone could find time to burn 1500 calories a day and hold down a job and any sort of life!
  • bulletproofkasper
    bulletproofkasper Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I refuse to stop exercising unless I've burnt at least 600calories :)
  • lamarrsgallardo
    Options
    400-500 a day when i worked out! Today i burnt 460.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I regularly burn 5000+ calories on a heavy cardio day. It's no big deal as I'm a good sized guy, and that's how it works for us.
  • eahill4
    eahill4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm good for about 500-700 a day
  • TomJ_93
    TomJ_93 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I regularly burn 5000+ calories on a heavy cardio day. It's no big deal as I'm a good sized guy, and that's how it works for us.

5000?
  • Ladina1990
    Ladina1990 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I burn about 500 a day with a mix of 30DS, 30 mins. of kickboxing and maybe a little ab work
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options

doubtful

I'm thinking he means that is his TDEE.

Original poster: as you can see, some people mean TDEE, and some people also will count "brushing teeth" as exercise. Just do you - everything else is noise. :laugh:
  • RunningRoundParis
    Options
    I've been wondering about this lately actually. Because just going out for a walk apparently burns a significant amount of calories, and I'm wondering how accurate that would be. According to my exercise for the day, I've burned 700, just from a walking quickly and jogging a bit for about 2 hours. It just doesn't seem right to me... :/ The jogging really only lasts about 20 minutes.
  • nerakma
    nerakma Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would like to exercise every day, but sometimes only have time for a dog walk. When I do exercise, I want to burn at least 250 calories or I am disappointed. Because I weigh 54 kg, I have to run 4 miles to burn 300. However, I have just bought a heart rate monitor today and I believe I mah have been underestimating my exercise calories using my iphone. If I put the same activity into MFP, however, it is usually way overestimated - by a multiple of 3 or 4 times!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options

Wow that is a huge amount, what do you do and how long do you do it to burn that amount of calories?
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I used to burn 1600-1800 calories during 95min bike rides, 3-4x times a week. Now I burn around 6-700 on cardio days. Can't do the long rides anymore with my knees. And I'm not that heavy anymore either, big difference. In the beginning I burnt 100 calories just by putting on my shoes :smokin:
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I burn at least 500 calories 4x a week. I run and do circuit training with weights.

remember-as you become more fit your body becomes more efficient and your calories burns will drop.
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm below 110 lbs and 5'2" and it takes me 2-2.5 hours to burn 1000 calories while alternatively walking and jogging nonstop. It takes me 3-4 to burn the same amount playing DDR and biking. I use a Polar FT4 HRM, it has never failed me ;D...(unless the chest strap slips off accidentally ಠ_ಠ.)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

That would be very surprising...
    Tour de France cyclists burn approx. 3,500 - 4,500 exercise calories a day.