Is there a healthy way to have chocolate?

Options
I have been having serious chocolate cravings this week. Luckily I have stayed strong in resisting the urge to go out and by anything chocolate.

I was wondering if there was any "healthy" way to have a little bit of chocolate now and then?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Sure! I had a craving this morning that I knew was going to kick in hard by the evening, so I pre-allocated 25g worth of dark chocolate right away. The rest of the day's food then had to fit into what was left, and it all worked out just fine. :)
  • EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    The healthiest way to have chocolate is dark, often and orally.

You're welcome. :smile:
  • Bryan24680
    Bryan24680 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you mean recipes or just in general, but what I do if I have a MASSIVE craving I just add it on MFP then work around it. Working for me so far :smile:
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate IS healthy.

I don't understand the question?

The healthiest way I know to eat chocolate is to not eat too much of it.

A little bit of chocolate is not in any way "unhealthy"

Eating an entire bag of Reese's or snickers? Yeah, that might be a little unhealthy, but simply eating chocolate is not inherently unhealthy.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I haveLindt dark chocolate every single day. My cardiologist recommended dark chocolate.
  • AndyBloot
    Options
    Chocolate does seem to have some health benefits, but in moderation and if you...

Eat chocolate of least 60 - 70% cocoa (not milk chocolate)
    Avoid chocolate that uses "partially hydrogenated" oils - these contain trans fats

Most commercial chocolate has added fat, sugar and calories
    So choose wisely
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a nice mug skim/soy/almond milk (whatever it is I happen to feel like) hot chocolate before bed some nights :smile:

But I also combine hot chocolate mix in oatmeal for breakfast. Or have a couple squares of dark chocolate/chocolate biscuits for morning tea.

Or sometimes all three in one day :blushing:

But chocolate itself isn't bad. We just gotta figure out how not to go overboard with it :tongue:
  • ilovemilkymoos
    ilovemilkymoos Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Dark Chocolate, +85% cocoa if possible!
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Daily. The darker the better.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I eat dark chocolate all the time. I cannot remember the specific brand, but one of the packages it in 100 calorie squares which are fantastic for curbing my cravings.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I like making a chocolate sauce with cocoa powder & stevia & a bit of boiling water, and dipping fruit into it.
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Some of the good quality protein bars do a pretty good approximation of "fake" chocolate, with a good hit of protein and barely any sugar or carbs. The BSC Cookies and Cream and Cheery Bite flavours are really good, for example. I also like the Musashi berry flavoured mass gain bar.

Good for your protein macros, and satisfies that chocolate craving at the same time, without dosing your body up with hollow sugar calories.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I have ALWAYS been preferential to dark chocolate (especially with orange/raspberry/cherry infusion)...which makes my almost nightly "treats" even more of a treat. No guilt whatsoever.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    The healthiest way to have chocolate is dark, often and orally.

You're welcome. :smile:
    This. I have something chocolate nearly everyday and I've lost 117 in 14 months and I'm healthy as a horse. No foods are inherently unhealthy, overconsumption is what's unhealthy. Fit it in and enjoy.
  • heidicalif
    heidicalif Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate covered almonds. I buy mine from the bulk bins at Whole Foods. They average about 10 calories each.
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've started eating 2 squares of Lindt dark chocolate once a day. Love it.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If I have a craving for chocolate, I eat some. I don't even worry about what kind of chocolate it is. I just fit it into my calories.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Chocolate does seem to have some health benefits, but in moderation and if you...

Eat chocolate of least 60 - 70% cocoa (not milk chocolate)
    Avoid chocolate that uses "partially hydrogenated" oils - these contain trans fats

Most commercial chocolate has added fat, sugar and calories
    So choose wisely

This works for me.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I have been having serious chocolate cravings this week. Luckily I have stayed strong in resisting the urge to go out and by anything chocolate.

I was wondering if there was any "healthy" way to have a little bit of chocolate now and then?

Actually, there is.
    Raw cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder has some excellent health benefits.
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/cocoa-good-chocolate-bad/

I recommend that you sprinkle on some mixed berries sweetened with dates.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    A good way to stop those cravings is to have a tiny nibble of your favourite choc, then put the rest in the microwave in a non microwavable container for 2 minutes on hi. The smell of your choc and the melted plastic will put u off for the next few months at least :drinker:
    It works, i fluked it, just i used ice magic haha