Is there a healthy way to have chocolate?

Options

Replies

• semaj600
    Options
    the little 2 finger kit kat has 96 calories, I also eat Lindt 70% caco chocolate bar for 190 calories, I just work it in to my daily calories -

I try not to deny myself anything because then I tend to crave it! I have to eat it before it becomes a craving. nothing is off limits!:tongue:
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Yes. Washing your hands.
  • rosaneubauer
    Options
    I would just go ahead and eat my chocolate to overcome the craving and get right back into my healthy eating without any guilt.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    The healthiest option is not only dark, but raw chocolate. It has a lot more health benefits than normal chocolate, as it is not heated above 42 degrees Celsius, hence it has a lot more nutrients.
  • eleanorlove
    eleanorlove Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You should check out this website - Katie makes over chocolate recipes!

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/
  • CharlotteAnneUK
    CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I follow the dont deny rule of thumb. If you deny you crave, if you dont, you tend to be fine.

If you do have chocolate though, ensure that you are including it on your diary, I find that this helps to deter me from reaching for the chocolate, or encourages me to do that bit more exercise to justify it.

Unfortunetly I dont like dark chocolate so I go with the dairy milk, but recently at that TOM when my chocolate requirement increases, I have started having ice cream in a wafer cone which has a small dark chocolate coating at the very top. Lower in calories (depending on how much chocolate you eat) and in the warm weather very refreshing.
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I like the cocoa "dusted" almonds, by Emerald. They're the same calories as the regular almonds, and they have just enough chocolate taste. Or, like every one else said, work it into your daily calories, and have a little bit. Best of luck!
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Eat it
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The healthiest way to have chocolate is dark, often and orally.

You're welcome. :smile:

Where is Dav?

I eat chocolate every day. Dark, milk, white. Most certainly orally. Chocolate isn't some sort of silly cleanse.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Couple of squares of 85% dark chocolate eaten slowly really does the trick, most of the time I only need one!
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It probably not something you want to here, but just dont eat it.

I have the sweetest tooth ever and was addicted to chocolate (large bar per day), it got to the point where i was craving it all the time so i thought I needed to put an end to it.

One day I woke up and decided to see how long I could go without it, I went the first day (which was difficult) then from then on it gets easier, because the more you eat of chocolate, the more you want it.

If you allow your body time to get over your cravings you will find it very easy to not eat it. Dont get me wrong, sometimes i do feel like a chocolate bar but I know if i eat one I will start bad habits (bar a day) back up again!
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Also I decided to give it up because with me there is no such thing as chocolate in moderation :/
  • EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    The healthiest way to have chocolate is dark, often and orally.

You're welcome. :smile:

Where is Dav?

I eat chocolate every day. Dark, milk, white. Most certainly orally. Chocolate isn't some sort of silly cleanse.

You've lost me...:huh:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You've lost me...:huh:
    You can have some every day if it fits your macros and doesn't impact your general overall nutrition....
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that it's healthier to learn to eat chocolate (and other foods) in moderation than it is to cut them all out completely. My strategy is to use 80% of my calories for nutrient dense foods, and then use the other 20% for a treat. Usually that's ice cream and a couple of graham crackers. If I know I'm going to have something sweet at the end of the day I don't have any trouble avoiding those donuts in the conference room or whatever it is that day.

For those with trigger foods it's different, but for me moderation is the healthiest option.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ljzui7tzHO1qfy47co1_400.gif
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If I have a craving for chocolate, I eat some. I don't even worry about what kind of chocolate it is. I just fit it into my calories.

me too!
  • dutchk
    dutchk Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I mix a cup of unflavored greek yogurt with a scoop of chocolate protein powder. (If you don't want to go with the protein powder, then I recommend getting a vanilla flavored yogurt or adding a sweetening agent.) Then I add two tablespoons of unsweetened chocolate. Only 10 calories per tablespoon! I buy the Hershey's regular. The Dutch processed stuff I guess doesn't have as many of the flavonoids due the processing. I've heard there are far better (texture and taste) powdered chocolates out there but Hershey's is cheap and available in in my local store. This provides a rich dark chocolate pudding of sorts. You've got to love dark chocolate, though because this is really it. I almost always add a 1/2 cup or so of frozen blueberries to it as well. Just the process of mixing up everything well thaws the blueberries to a point where they add a tasty chill to the treat. Want to kick it up a notch? Do you like dark chocolate chile candy bars? Try adding a dash or two of cayenne pepper. Now you have dark chocolate, with blueberries and a kick!
  • f1ght3r08062014
    Options
    portion control is always key!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I like to wash mine down with whiskey or a nice red