What are your tips for curbing those hunger pangs ?

Options

Replies

• mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    chewing a piece of super strong mint gum, drink a cup of green tea with lemon, go for a quick walk ... if its not truly a need to eat, (say you ate already) if you dont stop yourself from fixating, it will go south
  • spouns44
    Options
    1. Water. Your stomach is like a balloon and you can trick it into thinking you are full by filling it with water.
    2. Cut out some carbs. I try to keep my carbs under 100 grams per day. I feel like the more carbs I eat, the hungrier I get.
    3. Up the protein. I try to eat 100-150 grams per day. I feel like the protein keeps me full for longer.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Eat slower and practice mindful eating
    Eat plenty of fiber
    Stay hydrated

**I find when I exercise intensely, I am less hungry.
  • michail71
    michail71 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is a great tool.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I agree with people saying exercise. When I'm exercising every day my appetite totally changes. I also drink a lot of hot tea. Keeps me from snacking while at work. You may also spread your calories out more through the day so you aren't dealing with hunger pangs and risking a snack binge.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I always make sure I get lots of protein at every meal and snack, it keeps me fuller longer. Celery sticks just won't cut it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    TRUE hunger gives you dizziness, shakiness, nausea, etc.

No, that's your blood sugar crashing below the set point your body is used to after your body has pumped a bunch of insulin into your blood to deal with you eating too many carbohydrates for your activity level (yes, even the "healthy carbs" break down into sugar, which then need to be counteracted by insulin). And yes, this happens even in people who are not diabetic (the only difference is in how much one's blood sugar swings, and where it sits when fasted).
    1. Water. Your stomach is like a balloon and you can trick it into thinking you are full by filling it with water.
    2. Cut out some carbs. I try to keep my carbs under 100 grams per day. I feel like the more carbs I eat, the hungrier I get.
    3. Up the protein. I try to eat 100-150 grams per day. I feel like the protein keeps me full for longer.

This. Protein takes longer to digest, so keeps you feeling full longer. Make up the difference between your previous carb calories and your new protein calories with good, naturally-occurring fats (nuts, avocado, olive oil, etc), which are more satiating and take longer to burn, and kiss the 2-3 hour hunger pangs, and the sugar-crash-induced "hunger" symptoms goodbye.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    TRUE hunger gives you dizziness, shakiness, nausea, etc.
    Not true. The symptoms you describe sound like a drop in blood sugar, not hunger at all. If you are having these symptoms, you would be considered pre-diabetic (like I was). You can test this for yourself by using those finger-stabbers to check your blood sugar at any time, especially after eating or fasting. If you are over 100, you are pre-diabetic.
    I cut my everyday sugar down to nothing but fruits, fruit juice (sparingly) and other whole foods. I brought my fasting blood sugar down from 120 to 70 and haven't had any more symptoms of low blood sugar.
    I do agree there are many reasons we eat, and most of them have nothing to do with being actually hungry. Just because my stomach is grumbling does not mean I should feed it. I have to ask myself every time if I am actually hungry or if I just want to eat. Most of the time it is the sight or smell of food (or sometimes even the thought of food) that makes me want to eat. I try to busy myself with other things, but if I really get a craving (and yes, that's a craving not hunger), I eat something like nuts, seeds, beans, steamed veggies, or even a sweet potato (no butter, just plain) or banana. If I'm having a sugar craving, I do sweet fruits like strawberries or peaches or I make a sweet smoothie.
    Works for me. I am about 10 pounds from goal weight now after 2 years of eating healthy. I'm looking way better (and younger) and feeling great about myself. My life is 110% improved nowadays from where I was 2 years ago. I hope everyone here finds their way to their goals.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Big swigs of water and gum help me through most the time. Sometimes I'm just plain freaking hungry and so I eat to curb them and just adjust throughout the day. But for those little pangs that I just need to curb for a while until it's really my "time to eat" I chew gum and drink more water and it works for me.
  • mark_finewood
    mark_finewood Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I find that planning ahead to have healthy snacks (i.e. carrots or a hard boiled egg) every two hours is very helpful.
  • stellakhenizy
    Options
    Thanks so very much for all your replies and advice - its really wonderful to have the support and the advice is really
    so very, very helpful.

You guys rock !

:drinker:
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I chew gum ALL day long!! LOL, & it works!
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    This also-nuts, fruits, veggies, etc...
    Every 2 hrs or 3 hrs I am eating something small
  • HarvestNow
    Options
    protein!!! eat something every 2 hour
    protein & carb = success
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I find that I do just fine quantity-wise when I am eating mostly nutrient dense foods and do not do well when I'm eating a lot stuff that isn't.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    EAT MOAR PROTEIN!

Seriously though, as others have stated, protein will keep you full longer.
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    for me , low carb eating, the food cravings simply dissapear, I am no longer hungry all the time, hours and hours go by before I feel like eating again, atkins induction is simply an amazing tool
  • lharri0209
    lharri0209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    What works best for me is drinking 1-2 8 fl oz cups of water with each meal and making sure that each meal is equally balanced. Protein, veggie, carb (keep it low) and my water. I eat 3 meals a day and at least one snack which is usually a nonfat yogurt or piece of fruit.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I don't have hunger pangs anymore, especially since eliminating diet coke and making sure I keep properly fueled.

So, I guess my advice is to not drink sodas and stay fueled with frequent smaller meals.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    This may sound strange, but I make a drink with water, a dash of cayenne pepper, a couple tablespoons of lemon juice, a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and a teaspoon of cinnamon. It makes me feel full every time.
This discussion has been closed.