why is white beard so bad for you ?

Options

Replies

• disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    From a calorie perspective, you can see they're almost the same. And from a micronutrient point of view, they are also very similar as you can see. If you want the maximum protein, fiber and some vitamins and minerals from your bread and/or you really prefer the flavor then go with the whole wheat. If you don't care about that stuff then any old white bread will do. As people here point out, there would be little effect on weight loss but, realizing that some people have some other goals like increasing fiber or getting the most nutritional benefit from their food there is no single answer as to what's best. Depends on you.
  • Hudds925
    Hudds925 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My main problem with it is that it's just not GOOD for you. There is little to no nutritional value in a slice of white bread, whereas, with whole wheat, you do at least get some nutrients and fiber. It's basically just empty calories.

You were saying?

chart.jpg

Once again science and research prevail. Just waiting for someone to throw in the "glycemic index" so we can have another laugh...

They already did.

Yes, I saw that. Apparently I don't type fast enough lol

I guess the 70 pounds I lost doing the glycemic index diet was just good old fashioned luck then! Thank f**k!

How many calories were you eating?

An awful lot around the 3000 mark. The first 5 months I did no exercise. I now do loads but that's cos I am into triathlons and I count calories. I lost 70 pounds in 53 weeks - didn't quite make the 5 stone in a year.... nearly!

About 11 years ago I did the Micheal Montignac method (which is low GI diet) and lost a significant amount of weight so I know it works for me.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Its highly processed and basically all then nutrients are taken out of it. Something can be low calories or non fat and not be good for you. If you are going to eat bread you should get whole grain because you will actually benefit from eating it, instead of just consuming empty calories. Sarah lee makes some whole wheat 65 calorie bread if you are wanting something low in calories. I have some whole wheat bread right now thats made by Franz bread and its 100 calories per slice.
    I'd personally avoid the sarah lee products. Most are heavily processed, most have had the good stuff processed out and then put back in. Many contain high fructose corn syrup and enriched flours.
    If it has enriched flour I don't buy it.
    I aim for breads with very short recognizable ingredient lists. And that are nutritious.

Does the same go for the Sara Lee sandwich meats? That hardwood smoked turkey sliced very thin at the deli is some tasty stuff.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My main problem with it is that it's just not GOOD for you. There is little to no nutritional value in a slice of white bread, whereas, with whole wheat, you do at least get some nutrients and fiber. It's basically just empty calories.

You were saying?

chart.jpg

Once again science and research prevail. Just waiting for someone to throw in the "glycemic index" so we can have another laugh...

They already did.

I guess the 70 pounds I lost doing the glycemic index diet was just good old fashioned luck then! Thank f**k!

Glycemic index is bunk and has nothing to do with weight loss. Weight loss is calories in vs out. Unless you eat a carbohydrate ONLY meal, in a FASTED state (8+ hours of no food consumption), the glycemic index has NO MEANING. Nice try though... Now, replace your carb choices with some white bread and white rice, throwh in a pop tart for dessert. Eat the SAME amount of calories/day and tell me if your food choice has ANYTHING to do with weight loss... You saw results because you were in a caloric deficit.
  • Hudds925
    Options

You were saying?

chart.jpg

They already did.

Glycemic index is bunk and has nothing to do with weight loss. Weight loss is calories in vs out. Unless you eat a carbohydrate ONLY meal, in a FASTED state (8+ hours of no food consumption), the glycemic index has NO MEANING. Nice try though... Now, replace your carb choices with some white bread and white rice, through in a pop tart for dessert. Eat the SAME amount of calories/day and tell me if your food choice has ANYTHING to do with weight loss...

Ok.. thanks for labelling my 70 pound weight loss as a 'nice try'. Thanks for the support.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Vitamin for vitamin, whole grain wheat bread wins

plus, it tastes better (in my opinion)

but eat what you like if it fits your macros
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    White bread is not "so bad for you". It can be part of a "healthy diet" when factored in with other food choices.

I think people slam white bread and white rice because they do not have a great deal of nutritional benefit calorie for calorie when compared to other foods you could be eating. I don't think whole wheat bread or brown rice are much better and as the graphic posted earlier in this thread shows for the particular breads compared that seems to be true. BUT there are certain breads which do have more protein and fiber then plain white bread -- again I am not sure they are the best nutritional choice if you are trying to maximize every calorie for nutrient value. However, I like white bread -- mostly as toast with my breakfast -- and I am going to plan to enjoy it once in a while.

I know some people who have certain medical issues and the consumption of white bread does cause a different response for them -- but I think that is true for many other carbs too.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

You were saying?

chart.jpg

They already did.

Glycemic index is bunk and has nothing to do with weight loss. Weight loss is calories in vs out. Unless you eat a carbohydrate ONLY meal, in a FASTED state (8+ hours of no food consumption), the glycemic index has NO MEANING. Nice try though... Now, replace your carb choices with some white bread and white rice, through in a pop tart for dessert. Eat the SAME amount of calories/day and tell me if your food choice has ANYTHING to do with weight loss...

Ok.. thanks for labelling my 70 pound weight loss as a 'nice try'. Thanks for the support.

Um...might want to have stopped while you were ahead, because now you are sounding like you have no reading comprehension. He wasn't knocking about your weight loss, simply where you are placing the credit.
  • Hudds925
    Options

You were saying?

chart.jpg

They already did.

Um...might want to have stopped while you were ahead, because now you are sounding like you have no reading comprehension. He wasn't knocking about your weight loss, simply where you are placing the credit.

To be honest I didn't really understand what he was saying... All I was trying to do was say what happened to me that I lost weight - maybe it wasn't because of the low-gi diet but it worked for me for an entire year. I have lost a lot of weight which I was quite pleased with and I was attempting to help other people on this site but I just got rubbished so I better just get back in my box and carry on... sorry to have bothered you all!
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    RAGGEDYANN1970 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

You were saying?

chart.jpg

They already did.

Glycemic index is bunk and has nothing to do with weight loss. Weight loss is calories in vs out. Unless you eat a carbohydrate ONLY meal, in a FASTED state (8+ hours of no food consumption), the glycemic index has NO MEANING. Nice try though... Now, replace your carb choices with some white bread and white rice, throwh in a pop tart for dessert. Eat the SAME amount of calories/day and tell me if your food choice has ANYTHING to do with weight loss... You saw results because you were in a caloric deficit.

some studies are actually showing that calories in/calories out is old school.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

You were saying?

chart.jpg

They already did.

To be honest I didn't really understand what he was saying... All I was trying to do was say what happened to me that I lost weight - maybe it wasn't because of the low-gi diet but it worked for me for an entire year. I have lost a lot of weight which I was quite pleased with and I was attempting to help other people on this site but I just got rubbished so I better just get back in my box and carry on... sorry to have bothered you all!

You seem to be taking this rather personally...you didn't invent the "GI diet" did you? Nobody is discounting the work you did to lose weight, nobody is taking that away from you, they are simply stating that weight loss is due to a calorie deficit. You act as though people are personally attacking you, which is simply not the case.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

You were saying?

chart.jpg

They already did.

some studies are actually showing that calories in/calories out is old school.

Please post them. Also post all the studies that show fat loss or gain in an absence of a deficit or surplus
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I think low GI diets are great. They tend to be high in nutrients. High in fiber. Yes you lost weight, due to a calorie deficit. You were probably happy and satiated due to the low glycemic load of your foods. win/win.
    You probably also learned a lot about healthy eating. win/win/win. Congrats.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    In for the white beard wizards.

Nobody+Sees+the+Wizard.+I+love+cats+don+t+you+like_94008a_4118944.gif
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

You were saying?

chart.jpg

Damn. Late for the party.

devilbread.jpg

White bread IS the devil. See ^
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Dammit. I thought White Beard was some sort of pirate name.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    A simple google search will tell you this, but if you are asking:

1. it is extremely processed
    2. it lacks any nutritional value
    3. it is all simple carbs (really the same thing as two)
    4. I can't believe people are still asking this question.

^illustrates what is wrong with "a simple google search". Google sucks at critical thinking.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Your 70lbs weight loss is awesome (is that enough "support" for you?) Your misguided attempt at crediting the glycemic index for your weight loss is what I take issue with.

The fact that you can read (since you clearly took the time to view my profile and make a sarcastic remark) I applaud. I think your reading skills would be better used to review some credible scientific research vs spouting already debunked information.
  • icklistpiklist
    icklistpiklist Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    From my school days I remember that human hair contains protein so there is potentially some nutritional value in beards... :smile:
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I've heard the words "glycemic index" but never looked up the meaning and don't plan to do so today. Can we talk about ways to remove toxins from our bodies?