What are your tips for curbing those hunger pangs ?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I generally only get hungry shortly before a meal, but when I do feel hungry and it's not time to eat exercise or drinking something usually will tide me over till it's time to eat.

If I'm really hungry I usually go for a V8 - only 70 calories and 2 servings of vegetables.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Agreed! I am waaay less hungry when I am active!

Unfortunately, I sit at a desk 8-9 hours a day and the hunger is strong! haha
    To cope with this I bring healthy snacks to work and have set times where I eat them. Planning ahead is the best strategy for snacks!

I too am at a desk for 8-10 hours a day. I bring my lunch in an insulated lunch bag. I got a bigger bag so I can bring snacks along with my lunch. Snack items are applesauce, carrots, beef jerky, bagel thins with thin-sliced turkey breast & cheese. Lunch is usually health choice frozen meals, or occasionally leftovers.

If I'm truly starving and I've already had my meal/snack I'll have hot tea with just a bit of sugar. I drink about 2 cups of water an hour, too.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Eating yummy foods with a modest calorie deficit.

And learning the difference between hunger and boredom or cravings. When I'm hungry, I'll eat anything. When it's boredom or cravings, I only want specific foods. If I think I'm hungry, and I check the cabinets and fridge and I only have carrots or grapes, and I don't want to eat them, I only want cookies.... I'm not really hungry.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    I find eating works
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    I find eating works

Yeah, that was gonna be my answer.
  • If you can try and wait 20 minutes the craving might stop. If it doesn't go away then have some protein (hard boiled egg, some nuts, etc.) and stay within your daily calorie count. Chances are you are not actually 'hungry', you have a 'craving' or a 'want'.

Hunger can be thirsty or tired. I try water first then after 20 minutes, I try 12 almonds ( yes I count them)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I find eating works

Yeah, that was gonna be my answer.

:flowerforyou:
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Honestly, I got rid of those "healthy" portion controlled snacks and replaced with a nice high fat pick me up. You don't have to go out and get a big mac, just do some homemade mayo and add a reasonable amount to something ( tuna, eggs, stuff ) and eat it.

Not fearing the good fats is really helping me a long.

That and finding time wasters like signing up for contests, painting, playing with the kitties, anything other than staring at a wall.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,869 Member
    A combination of fiber and protein keeps me feeling satiated. And do some extra cardio and eat back the exercise calories.
  • Stocking up on pre-portioned healthy snacks helps me. I keep them with me all the time, just in case and actually just knowing they are there often gets me past an urge of the munchies. I also log them into MFP which helps remind me to stay on target.

If my body is hungry, I try to eat BEFORE I am starving. This helps with what I choose to eat and how much. When I am starving, I tend to eat fast and too much.

Sometimes our minds are tricked into thinking we want food when actually, our body is thirsty.
    I like ice water with a wedge of fresh lemon. The lemon smells fresh and relaxing.
  • eat plenty lean protein! yogurt or Zeal protein shake works for me
    ShandyIsom.zurvita.com
  • I eat a high protein snack.
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    I just started using chia seeds. I put them in my oatmeal and will experimenting with them on salads or on cottage cheese. They absorb liquid like a sponge so if you eat them with plenty of liquid, they should help you feel fuller longer. Even if they didn't help your appetite, they are very nutritious--high in omega 3/s.
  • cjohn2278
    cjohn2278 Posts: 65 Member
    Dang...I must be exercising wrong b/c when I am done I am usually super hungry!!! My best way to beat the hunger pangs is mini meals every couple of hours...I only have one normal size meal a day...at dinner!
  • rousehouse
    rousehouse Posts: 133 Member
    1) make sure your calorie defcit is a reasonable one. I had nary a hunger pang when I was losing. If you're having frequent hunger pangs, it is likely your calorie goals are too aggressive.

2) Exercise is an excellent appetite suppresent.

3) plenty of water

4) Foods high in protein, fiber, and healthy fat

5) Kinda goes with #4, but lots of whole foods

This, plus the biggest change for me was when I cut way back on diet soda. I used to drink a lot, and it's my belief it was messing with my appetite. I stopped completely, and there was an overnight change. Now I only drink it with meals and just a small glass. I know this can be contentious, so I'm just sharing my own experience.
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 109 Member
    protein & carb = success

^^^THIS^^^
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    B!tching and complaining works for me...I always whip past my co-workers desk and tell her that I'm freakin' starving and she just laughs.

Seriously though, I drink super yummy tea. I order from DavidsTea online and get what ever sounds awesome. Right now I'm drinking mint chocolate. I also bought Pumpkin Chai for when it starts to get colder. I have that Juicy Fruit dessert gum. I also drink a sugar free red bull if I can't take the sweet cravings anymore. That's not for everyone, but Red Bull doesn't make me go crazy. Icebreakers candy also helps, I get the sour ones, they have 1g of carbs per candy.

It is all in your head if your diary is good. It won't take you long to curb the munchies (except PMS, I totally give up when I have PMS). Eat lots of protein, and make sure your snacks fit your macros
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    eat some food
  • theslimapple
    theslimapple Posts: 38 Member
    Sometimes I'll wake up at 4 to make breakfast for the hubby before he goes to work, and I don't want to eat breakfast before going back to bed, so if I feel a bit hungry I drink a pint of water with a tbsp of chia seeds. It works like magic!
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Try some natural peanut butter or almond butter. Snack on a few nuts. Drink some extra water. Apples are filling. A nice warm tea sometimes works as well!! Good luck :)
This discussion has been closed.