why is white beard so bad for you ?

Options

Replies

• delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    It's not white beard that you need to fear.

It's the raccoon.

raccoon-biting-old-guy-white-beard-13736773017.gif
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    A simple google search will tell you this, but if you are asking:

1. it is extremely processed
    2. it lacks any nutritional value
    3. it is all simple carbs (really the same thing as two)
    4. I can't believe people are still asking this question.

^illustrates what is wrong with "a simple google search". Google sucks at critical thinking.

Indeed. It's been sucking more and more now that it tailors searches to your previous search history. If your search history reflects a lack of critical thinking, so will your Google search results.
  • Minks_esposa
    Options
    Also, I don't agree with demonising food. Some people act like certain foods are the devil. No food is the devil,

False.

Explain:
    -Deviled Eggs
    -Devil Dogs
    -Devil's Food Cake

btw - I'm only kidding. I also agree with you.

^^^ I love this. Gave me a good laugh
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    wow i was really curious as to what white beard was lol thought it was going to be some yummy new snack food/candy lol
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    cause it's itchy :laugh:
  • duke0825
    duke0825 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You can definitely make the case whole wheat is better than white, but to me the benefits are minuscule.I used to say white bread is the devil too, but now I find Wonder Bread is pure heaven. Make it fit you calories and get your nutrients elsewhere.
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It's not any worse then any other processed food. Eat in moderation imo. Preferable with peanut butter and jelly.
  • ItsLyricSoListen
    Options
    90 calories a slice 180 calories every 2 slices and u stuff it with junk,,,,,, it high in starch and sugar which makes it high carb, i have to fing a better alternative smh
  • GuyOfSteel
    Options
    GourmetstonercookingRecipe1Handfulofwhitebread1_bb2fbd_3872900_zpsfe1d41c5.gif
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    There is not that many calories in it thanks for your help :)

You're body processes white bread faster which turns into sugar.So if you burn it off then it has no effect.Wheat bread is harder for your body to break down more complex carb and is not stripped from the nutrients as much either.So wheat bread is better for people with Diabetes and doesn't hurt general overall health added more fiber.Wheat bread is more filling also more calories.
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My main problem with it is that it's just not GOOD for you. There is little to no nutritional value in a slice of white bread, whereas, with whole wheat, you do at least get some nutrients and fiber. It's basically just empty calories.

You were saying?

chart.jpg

Once again science and research prevail. Just waiting for someone to throw in the "glycemic index" so we can have another laugh...

Damn. Late for the party.

devilbread.jpg

White bread IS the devil. See ^

My wheat bread is higher calories then white?
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    My main problem with it is that it's just not GOOD for you. There is little to no nutritional value in a slice of white bread, whereas, with whole wheat, you do at least get some nutrients and fiber. It's basically just empty calories.

You were saying?

chart.jpg

I found something similar on http://www.bakeinfo.co.nz/Facts/Nutrition/Nutrition. I was curious as well as A LOT of sources state generically that whole wheat is so much more nutritious, but it's nice to see actual numbers. Not as drastic as I was led to believe.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It's not white beard that you need to fear.

It's the raccoon.

raccoon-biting-old-guy-white-beard-13736773017.gif

I am not sure if I like the man or the raccoon the most. Both are AWESOME!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Okay, let's look at the ingredients of a relatively high quality supermarket bread, Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse White:

Unbromated Unbleached Enriched Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Riboflavin [Vitamin B2], Folic Acid), Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Yeast, Contains 2 Percent or Less of: Honey, Nonfat Milk (Adds a Trivial Amount of Cholesterol), Soybean Oil, Butter (Adds a Trivial Amount of Cholesterol), Lower Sodium Natural Sea Salt, Salt, Calcium Propionate and Sorbic Acid to Retard Spoilage, Wheat Gluten, Wheat Protein Isolate, Monoglycerides, Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Enzymes.

So, we have standard enriched white flour -- this is the common form of flour in the US. That the flour is unbromated and unbleached is good. Second ingredients is water but then things go downhill from there.

High Fructose Corn Syrup, which is sugar
    Yeast, which is okay
    Honey, which is sugar
    Non-fat milk
    Soybean oil, which is fat
    Butter, which is fat
    Sea salt AND salt
    Calcium Propionate, a fungicide
    Sorbic Acid, an anti-microbial
    Wheat Gluten, which enhances the texture or chewiness of the bread and can be used to make up for poor flours or gluten-free flours like rye
    Wheat Protein Isolate, a texture and flavor enhancer
    Monoglycerides, which are used in bread to increase loaf volume
    And then, as a last item "Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Enzymes," things that were probably in a starter of some sort.

What's in my homemade white bread?
    Unbleached and unbromated enriched flour
    Water
    Salt
    Yeast

Bread does not need sugar or added fats. That after flour and water is High Fructose Corn Syrup in the store bread ingredients is troubling. Even if you do not accept the research showing the clear dangers of HCFS, as sugar it adds no nutritional benefit beyond raw energy (calories). I prefer to devote those calories to other, more nutritious ingredients.

Sadly, much supermarket whole wheat bread is also laced with sugars and fats. Unless labeled 100% whole wheat, it is likely to be chiefly white flour because white flour makes a fluffier bread, more likely to be appealing to those who like commercial white sandwich bread.

It's all about choices.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Okay, let's look at the ingredients of a relatively high quality supermarket bread, Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse White:

Unbromated Unbleached Enriched Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Riboflavin [Vitamin B2], Folic Acid), Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Yeast, Contains 2 Percent or Less of: Honey, Nonfat Milk (Adds a Trivial Amount of Cholesterol), Soybean Oil, Butter (Adds a Trivial Amount of Cholesterol), Lower Sodium Natural Sea Salt, Salt, Calcium Propionate and Sorbic Acid to Retard Spoilage, Wheat Gluten, Wheat Protein Isolate, Monoglycerides, Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Enzymes.

So, we have standard enriched white flour -- this is the common form of flour in the US. That the flour is unbromated and unbleached is good. Second ingredients is water but then things go downhill from there.

High Fructose Corn Syrup, which is sugar
    Yeast, which is okay
    Honey, which is sugar
    Non-fat milk
    Soybean oil, which is fat
    Butter, which is fat
    Sea salt AND salt
    Calcium Propionate, a fungicide
    Sorbic Acid, an anti-microbial
    And here's my store bought bread:
    Ingredients
    Organic Sprouted Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Rye, Organic Sprouted Barley, Organic Sprouted Oats, Organic Sprouted Millet, Organic Sprouted Corn, Organic Sprouted Brown Rice, Fresh Yeast, Organic Wheat Gluten, Sea Salt.
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    whole wheat =/= whole grain. whole wheat bread is basically the same thing as white bread. my whole grain bread has about double the protein and fiber of a whole wheat or white bread.

^this.
    If it's already been ground into flour, it's basically the same thing, absorbed just as quickly, etc. as white flour bread, with perhaps a little more fiber.

If you're eating actual WHOLE GRAINS (meaning, the grains are still whole as they enter your mouth) there is nutritional benefit in the forms of protein, fiber, slower digestion and absorption, more stable blood glucose, etc.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    It was "bad" for me because it would spike my blood sugar far more and faster than any other food. When I was diabetic, it was the most important thing I had to cut out of my diet to conteal diabetes. Whole geain brwad did not spike blood glucose nearly as much.

But if that is not an issue for you, it's not "bad," as long as you eat it in moderation.
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating mostly oat bread, so I think pre-sliced white sandwich bread is too squishy and tastes icky. I eat whole grain varieties instead. I also generally find whole wheat and multi-grain sandwich bread much more filling than white. And I think that's an important thing that some of the "calories in/calories out" choir ignores. It's much easier to eat fewer calories if the food you are eating is more satisfying, and leaves you feeling full for a longer period of time. If you like the taste of white bread, and you don't get hungry again two hours after eating it, by all means keep with it!

Now if we're talking about freshly baked bread for dipping in soups and gravies and tapenade... I don't really care if it's made with white, whole wheat, rice, potato, rye, oat, or chickpea flour: it's all delicious.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Best title typo ever.
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options
    real question is, why would you even eat white bread? stuffs nasty