Gold's Gym Waist Trimmer Belt....Does it really work?

Options

Replies

• apierce2010
    apierce2010 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments!!! I'm new to this lossing weight/trying to tone thing!! So everyone's comments are so useful!
  • strandedj
    strandedj Posts: 128
    Options
    My daughter bought me one and it definately makes you feel like its doing something to help as you see all the water once you take it off. I am using it since I have it, and figure it can only help.
  • apierce2010
    apierce2010 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My daughter bought me one and it definately makes you feel like its doing something to help as you see all the water once you take it off. I am using it since I have it, and figure it can only help.

Thanks for your comment!!
    :smile:
  • mastone99
    mastone99 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it does or not... I haven't seen in slimming in my waist. What it is good for, though, is back support. Also, I notice that when I'm wearing mine, I consciously (or unconsciously) tighten my ab muscles.
  • fitness244
    fitness244 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    it has help me i love it i bought mine from walmart
  • Nikolski911
    Options
    I have this and use too every time I workout, it does make you sweat and provides more heat to your lower back which will help preventing you from pulling something during core exercises. Having said that it is not a miracle worker and definetly not a short cut but it will help a little bit, dont see how could it be a bad thing. Skip a value meal at McDonals and use that $6 to buy the belt, you wont lose anything but some weight.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce fat. The only way to get a trimmer belly is overall fat reduction --> Good diet and exercise.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I bought a waist trimmer belt that is just a sweat belt (doesn't hold anything in it... sounds fancy lol). These other people all say it just gets rid of water weight, which I guess is true - I don't really know. I only used the thing once at the gym, not because it didn't make me sweat like a mofo (because it did), but because the neoprene lining keeps the sweat from escaping (or any cool air coming in... kinda the point) and it had to escape somewhere. After half an hour on the treadmill I walked out of the gym looking like I had wet myself. :ohwell:
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    No. Healthy diet and exercise and your body will lose fat from where it wants. You cannot pick spots to lose fat from.
  • PrakritiKarin
    Options
    I like it so far. I tend to retain water.. and i started drinking a lot more water ( about 10 8oz glass' a day as recommended by my trainer) The more water I drink the fatter I look. I bought the belt yesterday and measured my waist before putting it on myself.
    I did a light work out and measured again. I was 1.5 inch less. Of course as they say its water weight so drinking a bunch or eating fiber can bring the inches back. However I measures again this morning and was still at the same as after the inch loss. The belt if $5 and although that's a lot to wast if the belt doesn't work, it can have other advantages as many have listed. Also it can help remind you to keep good posture when exercising and is more comfortable then tying a string around your waist for the same. I have been thinking tying a string around my waist, keeping your back straight and your abs tight can help build your muscle and loose weight, over time.
  • sherrycf
    Options
    I bought one and it did make me sweat during my workout, I cannot say if it did anything more than my actual work out but if it helps psychologically go for it. What I bought at the same time (also at Walmart) were wrist weights (5lbs) I wear them when I do a brisk walk outside and also on my eliptical and boy does it make a difference, it tones your arms and abs and if you do sideways movements while walking it totally works the obliques!! Good luck :)
  • vauf
    vauf Posts: 4
    Options
    Waist trimmers if they did work would leave you with loose skin that even though you may appear skinny, have excess skin hanging around which is just as unsightly as being big in that region.

Running/Walking/time are the only things that can do this properly.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments!!! I'd never heard of them so this is really helping me out!!! I was gonna get this or some ankle/wrist weights cause i do a lot of walking and i thought that either one might make it more intense and help shed some more pounds!!

Ankle/wrist weights are a no-no also. These won't do anything. Just hit the gym and start lifting...heavy enough to where you can crank out 8-10 reps without losing your form. Once it feels too easy, go up by 2.5 or 5 lbs...depending on the exercise.

If you want to increase the intensity while walking, you can always wear a backpack. You want the extra weight close to your core. I hike and wear a backpack or usa a Camelbak for trail runs. I've even seen people at the gym wearing backpacks so that they can prepare for hikes with higher incline settings on the treadmill.
  • clarrus
    Options
    There are a couple of reasons why you should get it if it is cheap and affordable. Other people may offer some solid advice but it may not apply, especially if their advice is geared for them, not you.

P.S. I am Asian so I am using some form of math to figure this out.

My reasoning is you use NPV (Net Present Value) rule. If the cost overall is beneficial, definitely get it. Take this as a rule of thumb.
    Cost of belt = X
    I am willing to lose this amount of weight = Y (5 lbs, 10 lbs, 15 lbs, etc)
    Y/X = Z (amount of pound per $)

Example, if the belt is $5 and you want to lose 10 lbs with it, than you are willing to spend $2 per lbs. Z is 2 lbs. Pretty cost effective if you consider the cost of a monthly gym membership. This calculation is good in general and may help determine other purchases as well.

Now keep in mind that NPV puts a factor of multiple things including the actual cost. So let's add some other "Numbers" to see if it works.

The amount of motivation the belt will give you to work out - A
    The amount of support the belt gives you to extend your workout because you have it on - B
    The extra physical activities it may spur you to do since you have it on. (example- you feel the belt on so you decide to take the stairs instead of the elevator) - C
    Any other factor, add an numerical factor to it.
    ****Note: You can add negative numbers if you think it will motivate you less or cause you to drink more beer and eat more chicken wings.****

calculate (A+B+C+....etc) - X = Sigma

If sigma is positive, you should purchase it. No matter what. If you spent $10 and lost 1 lbs, is it not worth it? If it is negative, do not purchase it, it means you spent money to gain weight.

If you think it is a recurring or compound positive number, meaning that in every fixed amount of time, you gain the health benefits again, definitely purchase it. Example, loss of 2 lbs every 3 months or losing 4 lbs the next month, 6 lbs in three months, etc.

People, please note that this is a rule of thumb, not a quantitative two sided null hypothesis test with a p-value of .05 so please save the criticism. Unless you are willing to provide a better mathematical proof to replace mine.

Another note : People say things like "Exercise and diet is the best way. You should run 50 miles a week. etc"
    A) Those statements don't answer the question you asked.
    B) "Wow, I never knew that!" - said No Body Ever. I'm sure you already know this and are looking to supplement your lifestyle with activity encouraging stuff.
    C) People may say "It's only water weight." - It's still a step in the right direction no matter what. "You should definitely not take a step in a direction that may lead you to a healthier life style" - Said no body ever. Except maybe your jealous Ex or Al Qaeda.
    D) You probably spend more money on more useless stuff (like non-math related items) so why not?

Sorry for the long post but I tried to be as comprehensive as possible.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yes, magic belts are the secret to burning fat. You must buy one - right now. And, while you are at walmart, be sure to buy their magic cookie tree beans. Plant them in your yard and in six weeks you'll have a tree that produces magical, zero calorie cookies.

I like you.

I agree, the belt can't possibly make you lose fat.
  • jprovidence
    Options
    I cant speak for anyone else but I have been increasing my work out by jogging right? So I ran for about an hour... I have been feeling the burn in my legs and bootie but not in my belly (my problem area) Soooo yesterday my girl Tonya says... you should go get that wrap.. its real cheap.. I said Ok... We ran yesterday after I bought it with the same sort of outlooks as a lot of others... same length of time (an hour) and ummm.. let me jus say.. my stomach is SORE.. I don't know what it does... I don't care... I feel burn and haven't felt that in for-never.... So that is my testimonial.. =)
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    The people selling this item are laughing at the buyers.
  • Rogsman
    Rogsman Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The people selling this item are laughing at the buyers.

After reading this thread the only thing I can think is "why am I not a billionaire?"
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments!!! I'd never heard of them so this is really helping me out!!! I was gonna get this or some ankle/wrist weights cause i do a lot of walking and i thought that either one might make it more intense and help shed some more pounds!!

Ankle/wrist weights are a no-no also. These won't do anything. Just hit the gym and start lifting...heavy enough to where you can crank out 8-10 reps without losing your form. Once it feels too easy, go up by 2.5 or 5 lbs...depending on the exercise.

Re: using light hand weights (ankle weights/weighted vest) while walking .....they are not completely worthless.

Weights while walking help bring your heart rate up..... ie: burning more calories.

Light weights however, are not for toning unless you are extremely weak. Invest in some heavier weights or look up body weight exercises (for starters) ..... push ups, planks, squats.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce fat. The only way to get a trimmer belly is overall fat reduction --> Good diet and exercise.

^^^This. Spot reduction of fat is not possible. The body burns fat as it sees fit and placement is determined by genetics. Some spots lose body fat more quickly but by and large genetics determine that. The places that gain first will lose last. Diet and exercise are your best bets and ANYTHING claiming to be a miracle cure is pure snake oil.

Now, that is not to say that you won't see some additional reduced water weight from a product like this. But water weight is not fat and will return almost immediately provided you remain hydrated. But on that note, water weight is counted in lean body mass as it is not actually fat by hydration in muscle tissues or even fat cells.

Good luck on your goals and use whatever means work for you, but now that eating properly and exercise are key and king of fat loss.