Heart Rate Monitor?

Options

Replies

• arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Yes. I am attempting to the TDEE method, although I have just started, so no results yet. I do realize that these are not good when strength training.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    The very best recommendation I received and I'm passing along is to search YouTube for HRM reviews and how to use them. Read about all the cool stuff they can do, then assess whether you'll actually use those features.
  • pkdscript
    pkdscript Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I also use the Polar one and like it.
  • pkdscript
    pkdscript Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes - you do wear a chest strap but I don't even know it's on.
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yes the Polar has a Chest strap, but from what I head they are the most accurate!
  • jjinteso
    jjinteso Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how accurate the wrist models are? I was looking at the one by New Balance.
  • lairdg
    lairdg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use the polar FT4 for doing classes and SPIN and when I run I use the Nike+ Plus and Nike GPS Watch. Like others have mentioned here when I first started I was all about watching the calories on the Polar. Over the past 5 months I still pay attention to the calories burned but I pay greater attention to the time that I spend in the "zone". This gives me a better idea if my heart rate is elevated to where I want it and provides me with the feedback that I need to pick it up for the rest of the workout as well. The two devices in addition to my Fit Bit are the best devices I have ever used.
  • sumgrl
    sumgrl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i bought one on ebay for $25 free shipping .. and i love it
  • bdwill83
    bdwill83 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Mio Drive+ for about 2 months and really like it. It's a strapless HRM. You press 2 buttons on the watch and it gets your HR in a few seconds. Depending on your preference, this is a pro or con. It wouldn't be suitable for biking or non-stop aerobic workouts like Beachbody's T25 or Insanity because there's not much opportunity to stop and wait for a reading.

I had a strap-based HRM before the watch broke and found the strap to be uncomfortable.
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    xX_Samantha_Xx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Question about the Polar does it have a chest strap you have to wear? I have had one of those before and they are just so uncomfortable especially when your all sweaty! :)

Yes, it does. But this one is made out of a soft material (at least the FT40 is), and to be honest, I can't even tell it's there under my sports bra. I love it. :)
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I use a chest strap Polar Nike+ transmitter with my Nike+ Sportswatch. Quite a pricey combo because the watch has built in GPS. I believe you can get watch/strap combos for sub $100 price range. You can find them im running or sports supply stores or online of course. I tend to browse amazon for the reviews.

They are pretty much plug and play and should start working right away. The benefits would be more accurate calorie burn tracking and you can physically see your heart rate which helps you determine what 'zone' you are in. ie aerobic, anerobic, max, fat loss.

I was gonna get the pec strap. So I need a watch too?
  • lima013
    lima013 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7. It is a really HRM. I got it from Amazon.They have better prices compared to others
  • freyaheart
    freyaheart Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM . I have a Wahoo Blue HR. I use it to get accurate data on how many calories I am burning at the gym, I don't fully trust the treadmill read outs. Haveing it and my fitbit gives me a really nice picture of my fitness.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I wanted a HRM to see how many calories I was burning. I went to Best Buy not knowing anything about them to purchase one. They all seemed to have a chest strap which I didn't want because I didn't understand its purpose. I ended up buying a Garmin HRM that worked by simply touching the dial. It was okay for awhile until sometimes I'd touch the dial and get nothing. It actually died on me earlier this year and even after replacing the battery it wasn't really reliable because sometimes I'd touch it and get nothing.

I really wanted the nike HRM but it's very expensive and so I did some research on the Polar HRM's. I run a lot and am getting ready for two half marathon's next year, plus I also do a lot of strength training, walking, Bikram Yoga, etc. and I wanted something to track my workouts and show me calories burned. I ended up buying the Polar FT60F. They have a male version as well. It's works great and I now understand the purpose of the chest strap. It gives you an accurate count of calories burned, tells me if my fitness level is getting better, let's me know when I'm burning fat and much more. I love it and highly recommend it.
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I use one, particularly for running. I bought the Garmin FR60 with chest strap and thing for my shoe - so it tells me how far and fast I run and my heart rate, calories etc. Then I bought the thing that goes on my bike so the watch can tell me my distance, cadence etc. when I'm cycling too.

I recommend the book "heart monitor training for the compleat idiot" (it's spelled incorrectly). It helped me realise I was training in no man's land - I started running harder on my interval days and running much slower on my recovery days. Really helped me realise that the heart is a muscle that needs training too - sometimes it needs a recovery day.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I use one, particularly for running. I bought the Garmin FR60 with chest strap and thing for my shoe - so it tells me how far and fast I run and my heart rate, calories etc. Then I bought the thing that goes on my bike so the watch can tell me my distance, cadence etc. when I'm cycling too.

I recommend the book "heart monitor training for the compleat idiot" (it's spelled incorrectly). It helped me realise I was training in no man's land - I started running harder on my interval days and running much slower on my recovery days. Really helped me realise that the heart is a muscle that needs training too - sometimes it needs a recovery day.

Just to add - not all Garmin models base calorie estimates on HR even if it has a HRM.
  • ElliotM6
    ElliotM6 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Much like everyone else, I have the Polar FT4 and love it. Does everything I need.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the info. I would like to have one for the Cardio that I do. I will have to do some research, I guess.
  • mrshudson813
    mrshudson813 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM and love it! Myfitnesspal overexaggerates on the number of calories burned with exercises and I wanted to know just how much I was burning. Once I started using my HRM, I realized I wasn't burning nearly as many calories as MFP said I was. That kind of explained why I wasn't losing weight because I usually eat back my exercise calories and I was eating back way too much. So, I highly recommend buying a HRM. It's a great investment!
This discussion has been closed.