Significantly cut out fast food

Options

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Even though we know you can still eat fast food, processed food and all that while losing weight. My wife and i stopped eating out, (couldn't afford it anyways) cut out processed foods and we both have no depression what so ever. Doing a bit more research about the way your mind works and food. Some of the ingredients in food actually affects how we think. Almost like a drug or poison. Personally i am glad we can't afford to eat out. I miss the food, but do not miss the feels linked with eating it.

Other lifestyle changes can be attributed to reduction in symptoms of depression, but the attempt of eliminating processed foods does not eliminate depression.
    This is so true. I knew cooking from scratch almost every day rather than relying on takeout or packaged meals at least a few times a week like I used to would help me start to lose weight and feel better physically, but cutting out the junk has really helped my depression as well. A few weeks ago I ate a lot of junk food while I was visiting my family, and for a few days after I just felt off both physically and emotionally. I don't totally deprive myself, but I try to be careful. Pizza is a slice once every few weeks instead of getting a whole pizza every Friday and eating it for a few days. When I want ice cream, I go get frozen yogurt once in awhile instead. I stopped drinking soda and don't miss it at all. It can be hard at first, but breaking the habit of processed foods has made such a difference for me already.

Having a well-balanced diet coupled with an exercise regimen can improve some symptoms of mild forms of depression. However, it is not the specific foods being eliminated from daily intake, but other changes in lifestyle. (ex. increased exercise can increase release of certain neurotransmitters in the brain)
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    So I would sometimes eat fast food every day for lunch. Embarrassing but true. Since sticking with MFP I eat much more food at home and feel better about myself for doing that. Can't wait to lose some weight! Just a little food related NSV.

Good for you poster! Sounds like you've made some positive changes you feel good about. That is definitely a nsv! :drinker:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I find that with most things, I stop craving them when I don't have them for a while. I used to love KFC, but when I had some for a cheat meal a couple months go, I came pretty close to puking after just a little bit. And I noticed that I was craving broccoli in the middle of the night last night. What is happening to me? Lol.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The irony of MFP is that since starting to log everything, pretty much the only time I eat out is when hitting the fast food drivethru. Anything else is just too much trouble figure out!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    7 years ago I got kidney stones from dr pepper. I think any soda can do it. even diet. But I also wasnt drinking water. I had two surgeries and still drank the damn stuff. I've been soda free since I've been on here. 6 weeks. it is like nothing to me now. go water. lol
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to cut out items that you enjoy, unless you have a medical condition. However, if reducing the amount of times you eat fast food is going to help you learn healthier habits towards food, go for it. I prefer not to label things as "good" or "bad" and enjoy a wide array of items.
    Yep. There's nothing wrong with downing your share of tasty rubbish if it fits in your budget. Nothing wrong with adding some chain's caloric monstrosity to the database either... as long as it fits, it works.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I find that with most things, I stop craving them when I don't have them for a while. I used to love KFC, but when I had some for a cheat meal a couple months go, I came pretty close to puking after just a little bit. And I noticed that I was craving broccoli in the middle of the night last night. What is happening to me? Lol.

god yeah, KFC was my go-to hangover meal. The box I got came with a burger, chips, potato & gravy and a piece of chicken. They're 1000 calories a pop.

I genuinely can't remember the last time I ate there. I remember the last time I desperately wanted to; we ended up having chicken kievs and some homemade potato wedges in an attempt to curb the craving. That was a few months ago now.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Cutting out fast food is a really easy way to cut calories. You can almost always make something that taste just as good (or better) for way less calories any way. I especially notice this with burgers and sandwiches.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Yikes is getting kidney stones from aspartame common? Never heard of that! Hope you're better now!
    7 years ago I got kidney stones from dr pepper. I think any soda can do it. even diet. But I also wasnt drinking water. I had two surgeries and still drank the damn stuff. I've been soda free since I've been on here. 6 weeks. it is like nothing to me now. go water. lol

Artificial sweeteners in general have been linked to kidney stones because of their high oxalate concentration, which can cause calcium oxalate stones.

Caffeine is a known cause of kidney stones, as is high stress and dehydration. So drinking lots of caffeinated diet sodas and not enough water could easily trigger a kidney stone.

Kidney stones are a genetic disorder so if it doesn't run in your family it's less likely you'll get one, but not a guarantee.

(I've had calcium oxalate stones for over 10 years and its 100% genetic, but my diet and hydration can trigger bigger stones that require surgery so I play it safe as much as possible.)
  • annamorrison90
    annamorrison90 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Loved this post. I recently revamped my entire diet and am doing a mainly plant-based vegan diet. I LOOOOVVVVEEEDDD fast food, but after getting accustomed to the amount of vegetables I eat now, the caloric bar has been set a lot lower for what I can stand. If I need protein and fully understand that I'm eating fast food for a treat, I'll go and order a Southwest salad from McDonald's. I let myself have a small order of french fries occasionally and honestly, that's all I can stand. Since my lifestyle change has finally set in, I no longer crave or want fast food on a regular basis and I have become more aware of my body and the heavy feeling I feel with cheeseburgers. I am losing around 2 pounds a week now and have around 35 more to go.

P.S. If you need more fitness pals or would like to be mine, add me with a message. Good luck cutting the fast food habit all, I didn't know if I could smile without McDonald's before and now I haven't thought about it until this post.
  • MsMimidoll
    MsMimidoll Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on fast food, I'm a vegetarian so there aren't as many choices for me, and some choices are easier to just make at home.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    That's great, OP! Contrary to what one of the self-appointed experts before said, certain foods can absolutely cause depression. When I cut out gluten, within a week, it was like the entire world had suddenly become buoyant. My outlook went from dismal as it's been for years to excited and hopeful. an array of other things eventually happened as well, and that's when I learned eating gluten when you have Celiac disease completely messes with your brain (celiac.com). My problem was that I didn't know I had Celiac, so I didn't know how harmful my diet was. All I was really trying to do was make logging my food less cumbersome on MFP, so I cut out all processed foods and refined sugars as well as all fast foods since I couldn't account for what was in them (nutrition facts on a website don't mean anything if your Subway sandwich maker gives you more mayo and oil than standard, or the chef at your restaurant tosses an unmeasured amount of butter onto a flat top to cook your food that is different from what was submitted for measurement by the corporation). The change in outlook plus the significant weight loss has been so motivational that I have no desire to return to my old ways. If I dice a cucumber and tomato and sprinkle it with red wine vinegar and S&P, I log a cucumber, tomato, red wine vinegar and S&P. So much easier!

Keep up the good work! :glasses:
  • nomeejerome
    Options
    That's great, OP! Contrary to what one of the self-appointed experts before said, certain foods can absolutely cause depression. When I cut out gluten, within a week, it was like the entire world had suddenly become buoyant. My outlook went from dismal as it's been for years to excited and hopeful. an array of other things eventually happened as well, and that's when I learned eating gluten when you have Celiac disease completely messes with your brain (celiac.com). My problem was that I didn't know I had Celiac, so I didn't know how harmful my diet was. All I was really trying to do was make logging my food less cumbersome on MFP, so I cut out all processed foods and refined sugars as well as all fast foods since I couldn't account for what was in them (nutrition facts on a website don't mean anything if your Subway sandwich maker gives you more mayo and oil than standard, or the chef at your restaurant tosses an unmeasured amount of butter onto a flat top to cook your food that is different from what was submitted for measurement by the corporation). The change in outlook plus the significant weight loss has been so motivational that I have no desire to return to my old ways. If I dice a cucumber and tomato and sprinkle it with red wine vinegar and S&P, I log a cucumber, tomato, red wine vinegar and S&P. So much easier!

No. Foods do not cause depression. You found out you were feeling so horrible because of Celiac disease and once you started treating that, you felt better. It was not food causing depression, it was food flaring your symptoms of Celiac disease.
  • Mslmesq
    Options

No. Foods do not cause depression. You found out you were feeling so horrible because of Celiac disease and once you started treating that, you felt better. It was not food causing depression, it was food flaring your symptoms of Celiac disease.

I do not know that your statement is correct. There are some studies that show certain foods can contribute to low mood and/or depression. So, the jury may still be out.

As well, there definitely is evidence that certain foods can help improve mood and/or symptoms of depression.

Of course, one knows one's own body best...ideally...and should do what is working for them.
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    So I would sometimes eat fast food every day for lunch. Embarrassing but true. Since sticking with MFP I eat much more food at home and feel better about myself for doing that. Can't wait to lose some weight! Just a little food related NSV.
    Even though we know you can still eat fast food, processed food and all that while losing weight. My wife and i stopped eating out, (couldn't afford it anyways) cut out processed foods and we both have no depression what so ever. Doing a bit more research about the way your mind works and food. Some of the ingredients in food actually affects how we think. Almost like a drug or poison. Personally i am glad we can't afford to eat out. I miss the food, but do not miss the feels linked with eating it.

After cutting out Processed food it made a very big difference to my mood & if I have fast food now (perhaps once every 2 months or so) I feel crap the next day, god knows how all these chemicals mess with our heads.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Hey OP! Good for you for getting some of the yuck out of your daily diet. Contrary to 2 particular people who only show up to stir the pot--I know from my own personal experience that cutting foods out that have little/no nutritional value helps to make you feel better because it is actually feeding your body the nutrition it needs to run at it's optimum. And surprise--after years of suffering from mild depression....I can happily say that I no longer do. I chalk it up to several things,two of which is cleaning up my eating habits, and making weight lifting a priority.

And an encouragement to all who are trying to make changes but feel overwhelmed: small steps, one small change at a time. Totally do-able--totally sustainable! In a years time you will look back and be amazed at just how much you can do in the way of small changes!
  • nomeejerome
    Options

I do not know that your statement is correct. There are some studies that show certain foods can contribute to low mood and/or depression. So, the jury may still be out.

As well, there definitely is evidence that certain foods can help improve mood and/or symptoms of depression.

Of course, one knows one's own body best...ideally...and should do what is working for them.

The important note, is that food does not cause depression. I have already stated up thread that other lifestyle changes can reduce symptoms of mild forms, such as a well-balanced diet and exercise regimen. However, that is in mild forms of depression. In more severe cases, all the lifestyle changes in the world are not going to make symptoms disappear or reduce, medication would be needed.
  • Mslmesq
    Options

The important note, is that food does not cause depression. I have already stated up thread that other lifestyle changes can reduce symptoms of mild forms, such as a well-balanced diet and exercise regimen. However, that is in mild forms of depression. In more severe cases, all the lifestyle changes in the world are not going to make symptoms disappear or reduce, medication would be needed.

:noway:

You are not a psychiatrist, and even if you were, you cannot make that statement without dx an individual patient.

Even with clinicallly diagnosed depression that is more than just mild, medication is not always the answer. And a blanket statement of "medication would be needed" as a response to the issue is very inappropriate.
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    This may sound super silly, but I truly have an addiction to fast food. I have cravings for it where it literally takes over my mind and it is all I think about. I have managed to break it and I went a full month without it, and then limited my intake. Sadly, this summer led back to my bad habits and I am trying to break them again. I just moved so I am actually finding it easier to resist and I think that I will def start seeing some results. I am glad to know that I am not the only one who struggles!

No, that doesn't sound silly at all! I've been a fast food junkie ever since I was a teenager--almost like Chick Fil-A would jump up and grab me from the street. It wasn't until my 14-year-old started refusing to eat at McDonald's (bless his progressive little heart) that I had the motivation I needed to dump most fast food. I'm glad you're doing better too!