Exotic Meats - horse etc

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Fuddruckers have seasonal exotic meat burgers. Ostrich, emu, and bison. Really nommy!! And rabbit and venison make awesome stews!
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I would think options like elk and deer would be easier to come by and they are even more regulated for farming than beef cattle are. And of course, wild meat is drug free. And delicious.

While this is true, wild game (White Tailed Deer) where I grew up eat lots of corn and soybeans. Which... can be bio-engineered crops and served with a side of roundup. Things to think about.

While I've never eaten horse I've heard it is quite tasty.

I have however had my fair share of Deer/Elk Venison, Rabbit, Squirrel, Pheasant, Bear, Duck, Goose, Kangaroo(jerky), Buffalo, Wild Turkey and who knows what else.

I'm mostly vegetarian these days. Irony at its best.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I've had Bison/Buffalo, and they weren't bad. I've also had Shark sushi which was delicious. However I don't think I could eat horse meat or dog meat... would just feel weird to me. But more power to those that do.

I've heard Gator and Snake is delicious, too. Haven't gotten around to trying those yet though.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If horse meat is not regulated, I'd say stick with something like wild deer meat. That way aside from what it has foraged in the wild, you know there has been nothing pumped into it, and it is still leaner than beef.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I've had Bison/Buffalo, and they weren't bad.
    Ooh, yeah, buffalo is good too.
  • kellyhdent
    Options
    Bison, Elk, Buffalo, Deer, Rabbit, Gator, Ostrich... all yummy!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I've had Bison/Buffalo, and they weren't bad. I've also had Shark sushi which was delicious. However I don't think I could eat horse meat or dog meat... would just feel weird to me. But more power to those that do.

I've heard Gator and Snake is delicious, too. Haven't gotten around to trying those yet though.

I've had good gator and bad gator. I think the trick is in how it's prepared. I am planning on having gator for supper this Friday night on my way to a campout.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

I woulnd't recommend shark anything as a regular part of any diet. Trying for the novelty won't kill you, but eating it regularly would be about the equivalent of breaking a thermometer open and just drinking the mercury strait.

Ok, I exagerate, but REALLY, avoid the shark meat.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Deer, buffalo, squirrel, rabbit, rattlesnake, and assorted "road kill" meat.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've eaten many kinds of exotic meats. My favourites are as follows:

Buffalo/bison is generally pretty easy to find. The animals are raised on ranches and small farms. Very lean and absolutely delicious. Great for burgers.

Rabbit is very lean. You can get farm-raised rabbit in stores. Best used in stews.

Moose meat is a little gamey, but not nearly so much as bear or deer. It's illegal to sell wild animal meats in stores (in Canada, and the US too I think), so it's only available if you hunt it yourself or if you have friends/relatives who do.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    After the various horse meat scandals in the UK I was alerted to the fact that horse meat is lower in fat and probably better for you generally than many beef products.

I have found a web site where I can order all sorts of horse meat things a well as zebra :

http://www.exoticmeats.co.uk/horse-meat.html

I am wondering if anyone has experience of horse or can recommend other less common meats with a health advantage.

Cheers

I've had horse, both as steaks au poivre, and horse bourgoneigh. (heh, laugh. It's funny.)

I find horse delicious, I talked some friends into bringing some back from Quebec (good ol' American horses to boot) and about 12 of us had the stew, every person liked it.

It was lean, a bit beefy, but a little irony (ah the irony), it was also a touch gamey, but in a good way like rabbit is or super young lamb. I was quite impressed, and am jonesing for more. If you can get some, get a 250gr steak and try it.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I think kangaroo is supposed to be quite lean but might not be that easy to find in the UK
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Kangaroo is very tasty and lean, and quite cheap. You can't go far past medium-rare for the steaks though, as it will go tough. I use the mince in bolognaise, chili etc.
  • lilredhead314
    lilredhead314 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I tried horse in Switzerland. Didn't like. I love gamier meats like elk and venison.
  • pez1234
    pez1234 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Kangaroo is awesome, less than 2gms of fat per 100grams when you buy fillet. I always sear the outside in a hot pan, then into 160-180 degrees (celsius) preheated oven for 10-15mins depending on thickness, you can cook this way and get it into the medium well range, but still juicy, but previous poster is correct if you do it in the pan or bbq it will toughen and get a little dry around the medium mark. Great if thinly sliced and marinated in stir fry too.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I think we're all familiar with the phrase, "If wishes were horses, we'd all be eatin' steak." Other than eating ostrich once, I wouldn't consider any of the meats I consume regularly exotic. Then again, I live in Montana, and we'll pretty much kill and eat anything.
  • pltjess
    pltjess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Moose is fantastic and much leaner than beef. It's also less gamy than deer, which I dislike.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Elk and boar are both very lean and very tasty!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I like deer and bison to be honest. Bison is much more healthy (as far as fat content) than beef and they taste very similar (at least I think so).

I wish we were a hunting family so we can hunt our meat and not have to buy it from the supermarket.
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    They say dog meat is good for you. The people here eat it as a delicacy. They put it in soups. Enjoy.
    I recommend we all eat more hyenas because we need less of them around.... much less imho!