Is it necessary to reach at least 1200 calories a day?

Recently I read that if one consumes less than 1200 calories a day then our bodies go into starvation mode. The thing is I'm forcing myself to reach 1200 cal. When I first started using fitnesspal I was eating about 900-1100 calories a day and I was full and ok with that. I exercise about 3-5 times a week burning 500-600 calories. And at times I'd eat maybe 50-100 of my "exercise calories". Recently I set fitnesspal to 1290 cal instead of 1310. I rarely go over that. Also I feel the difference in my clothes and when I look in the mirror but my weight hasn't changed. I'm aiming for fat loss and not weight loss. Losing the weight or fat is happening slowly and at times it's discouraging. My goal is to lose 20-30 pounds.

But is it true that if I eat 1200 cal then that will help with the fat loss? Is that maybe the reason why it's been happening so slowly?

Should I just stick to eating when I'm hungry and not have to force myself to reach 1200 cal?

Thank you,

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    For most people, yes you do need to reach 1200. If you are very short and petite you could possibly eat that low and not suffer from it, but there are very few adults that can't eat more than 1200 calories per day and still lose weight.

What is your height and age? What type of diet do you follow? How much fat do you typically eat in a day?
  • I'm a 19 year old female. My height is about 5"3 ish. I've been logging for over 3 months and I haven't went over my total fat. The goal is 43g and my consumption ranges anywhere between 20-40g. I don't really have a certain diet to follow. I'm eating smaller portions and healthy food.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Eating under 1200 and then not eating back your exercise calories is a wonderful way to fail at your weight loss goal. I would try to net at least 1200, which means you need to be eating more like 1700-1800 a day (on workout days anyway).
  • bcattoes
    I'm a 19 year old female. My height is about 5"2 ish. I've been logging for over 3 months and I haven't went over my total fat. The goal is 43g and my consumption ranges anywhere between 20-40g.

The reason I asked about fat is that often when people say they have trouble reaching 1200 calories it's because they've cut fat too low. Fat has more calories than carbs and protein so it's a good way to up your calories without eating much more food.

If you need to lose weight, then you were eating more than 1200 calories per day at some point. Why do you think you can't hit that goal now?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Sooo much wrong here...

Let's see...

1) yes, you should be eating more than that. My guess is that some more calorie dense foods would do you well - full fat dairy, red meat, fish, nuts, etc. Do you absolutely need to? Hard to say... depends on your expectations.

2) your body needs fat. It's crucial for a variety of basic needs/functions. No, eating fat won't make you fat.

3) You said you can feel your clothes fitting differently and can see changes in the mirror. Isn't that the point? Why do you care what the scale says.

4) You don't owe anyone anything. But a little searching and you probably could have answered your own question. But you're 19, so you probably feel entitled to our help/attention.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    I'm 5'2 and eat between 1600-1900 calories. Yes you need to eat more than 1200 calories. Good luck.
  • Okay I'll start doing that. I just don't understand how I'm supposed to lose weight by eating more.
  • It's not that I can't but honestly I'm not even that hungry so I'm basically just eating to reach that number. I thought it was best to eat when you're hungry not just eat for the sake of eating.
  • jacksonpt
    Okay I'll start doing that. I just don't understand how I'm supposed to lose weight by eating more.

Just because you don't understand doesn't mean it's not true. Do you understand advanced principles in physics?
  • jacksonpt
    It's not that I can't but honestly I'm not even that hungry so I'm basically just eating to reach that number. I thought it was best to eat when you're hungry not just eat for the sake of eating.

It's an issue of being healthy vs losing weight. You'll lose the most weight the fastest if you don't eat anything at all, but that doesn't mean it's the best thing for your overall health.

Many people have unhealthy relationships with food. So eating when they are healthy or "listening to their bodies" is a terrible thing to do. People often have to force themselves to do certain things (eat more, eat less, eat different, etc) just to correct bad habits.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Eat when you feel hungry. Make smart food choices. Stay away from processed foods. Workout a few times a week. The rest will sort itself out.
  • Coconut water and milk could help to keep you hydrated and adding healthy fats to your diet

You sound very health conscious so you could try making veggie or tofu stir frys and soups with

Coconut milk, water and even a little oil

Fats won't necessarily make you fat as they are essential

To a healthy diet
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    I'm a 19 year old female. My height is about 5"3 ish. I've been logging for over 3 months and I haven't went over my total fat. The goal is 43g and my consumption ranges anywhere between 20-40g. I don't really have a certain diet to follow. I'm eating smaller portions and healthy food.

I'm 5'3", 42 years old, and I average 1700 calories per day at maintenance level of 110 pounds. I would eat your full 1200 calories as much as possible, *especially* if you are working out that much!
  • bcattoes
    It's not that I can't but honestly I'm not even that hungry so I'm basically just eating to reach that number. I thought it was best to eat when you're hungry not just eat for the sake of eating.

It's a tricky thing learning to read your body's signals. If you feed your body too little, over time it may reduce hunger pangs even when it needs food. This is a response designed to prevent constant hunger during times of famine. If you stop giving it enough food, it will consume what it has available to make up the rest. Fat for energy, muscle for protein, bones for calcium, etc.
  • ncnesbi
    ncnesbi Posts: 7 Member
    hahahah
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Peanut butter sammich and a glass of milk.

Seriously, most people have a BMR of more than 1200. This means basal metabolic rate, it is the amount of calories they would feed you if you were in a coma, just so your heart, organs, breathing, etc can function. It is not enough for an active young person.

Unless you are very obese, do not eat less than your BMR. It is not healthy for you, and you can do damage to your metabolism and hormones which makes it even more difficult to lose weight down the road.

Look for "calorie dense foods" which will boost your calories a bit, but won't be a lot of volume of food to eat.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    It's a tricky thing learning to read your body's signals. If you feed your body too little, over time it may reduce hunger pangs even when it needs food. This is a response designed to prevent constant hunger during times of famine. If you stop giving it enough food, it will consume what it has available to make up the rest. Fat for energy, muscle for protein, bones for calcium, etc.
    Bingo! I finally started to listen to this advice and began eating at around 1300 calories....and finally lost those pesky last 8 pounds! It's strange, but it works.
  • I have read several posts. But to be honest I'm actually scared to consume more calories and gain weight and now that I'm back in school I won't have that much time to exercise except maybe 2-3 times a week. I just needed reassurance that even though on the days I won't workout I should still consume at least 1200 cal.
  • Thanks for everyone's help! :)
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    How did you get overweight?