Dating between decades: how old is too old?

Options
So I REALLY need advice here... I'm 18 years old, turning 19 in less than a month and my boyfriend is 32. We've been dating for 3 weeks and I'm crazy about him but my parents don't approve of the age difference. He's a plastic surgeon, a dj, a personal trainer and owns a nightclub. He's clearly an established man and my parents feel we're on different wavelengths. Right now I'm in college, working at a designer shoe store and a d1 golfer, hoping to become an environmental lawyer in the future. Its very hard for me to find a guy that I like this much and I feel like we can accomplish so much together. As far as my parents go they really like my boyfriend but think 14 years difference is just too much. They wan't me to break up with him before things get serious. I've never been this happy before.. what do I do??

Replies

• bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I would agree with said parents. Also, its hard to imagine that a board certified Plastic surgeon would work as a dj, personal trainer and own a night club. He must not have a thriving practice.:ohwell:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Yeah, he sounds creepy. Why would a plastic surgeon/dj/whatever date someone that hasn't had a taste of the real world yet? Glad you're going to school but it sounds like the boyfriend is looking for a daughter figure more then an equal partner.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Don't have a lot of good advice to give but I see both sides. I understand where your parents are coming from as well, they want you to experience all of life and know what guys that age expect. They are also afraid if you settle down with this guy, you will not meet your total potential and accomplish everything that you can possibly accomplish.

Like said above, not sure how he can be a plastic surgeon yet also have time for all that other stuff. Something doesn't smell right there but you sound mature and if you are hell bent on staying with him, just make sure you take things slow. If in 2 years, you still feel the same way, then accelerate things.
  • yourvendetta
    yourvendetta Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Plastic Surgeon =Big Shot
    19 years of age = Lots to experience
    14 year gap difference = Need to think thrice and again.And again.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    be cautious; at 19 y/o you are rather young still. but, i don't think age difference between partners should be made into such a big deal. sometimes there's an inexplicable connection - age be damned. and truly, what does a person's age really matter anyway? if the parties involved are happy and not hurting anyone, no one should care one bit - on the contrary those in your life should be happy on your behalf.

having said that, it's very difficult to make a judgement call on your particular situation. many different details could end up with different conclusions.

i'm of the opinion that age does not matter. but again, as you are still a teenager, in school, and it sounds like still very much dependent on your parents - be willing to deal with the consequences that come your way. if you are on your own and taking care of yourself, well then to hell with what anyone else thinks.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    This has to be a troll what guy finishes med school at say 25 then does a surgical residency and plastics fellowship until the age of 32 then decides to be a dj - either ur *kitten* is getting catfished or this is a terrible troll - to the catfisher if u are real get a prenup
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    And you chose this to be your first post on a fitness site?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I don't think 14 years difference is a big deal.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters that something doesn't smell right with this guy. He has too many "glamorous" and demanding jobs.

That said, I married a 30 year old man when I was 18. I was madly in love with him and we had 3 kids together. And guess what? It ended badly. Very badly. Cops and restraining orders badly. I hate to say this, but a man of that age who is interested in a girl your age may very well have some serious issues. My ex-husband continues to date women far younger than him. He does it because a much younger woman is easier to *control*.

You're an adult. You can do whatever you want. But take things slow and be really careful.

ETA: I'm going to go take a Crying Game shower now. I feel so dirty for feeding the troll.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    b96.gif
  • kimberlyessxo
    Options
    i found this site thru researching this topic lol
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    funny-gif-Steve-Carell-laughing.gif
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Lawl.
    A plastic surgeon, a dj, a personal trainer, AND owns a nightclub. At 32. Fersrsbro.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    He's a successful 32 YO dating a teenager he can't even order a glass of wine for. Something is wrong with him.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    age means nothing, I like older guys, 20 to 30 years! GO!
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters that something doesn't smell right with this guy. He has too many "glamorous" and demanding jobs.

That said, I married a 30 year old man when I was 18. I was madly in love with him and we had 3 kids together. And guess what? It ended badly. Very badly. Cops and restraining orders badly. I hate to say this, but a man of that age who is interested in a girl your age may very well have some serious issues. My ex-husband continues to date women far younger than him. He does it because a much younger woman is easier to *control*.

You're an adult. You can do whatever you want. But take things slow and be really careful.

ETA: I'm going to go take a Crying Game shower now. I feel so dirty for feeding the troll.

I agree, I think we fed a troll. Now it will never go away.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    my significant others mother was 15 years younger than her husband (he died. age differences like that tend to leave someone alone) either way they were married. happy. had two kids. never divorced. difference is they were from the same area and she had a crush on him at age 15. i doubt you have known this guy on a personal level. if you have and you know he isnt catfishing you and the idea of potentially being alone for many years because they pass away doesnt bother you...go for it.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Crazy coincidence, my boyfriend is also a plastic surgeon/nightclub owner, but HE's 18 and I'M 32! Maybe we should switch boyfriends!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    ...you forgot to mention that he's also a rock star, astronaut, and a french model.

BDVRWmUCUAEDe70.jpg
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    OP has deactivated her account, big surprise.:huh: