Calorie shocker!

Options

Replies

• hazellac
    hazellac Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I can't even read the first page of this thread seriously.

Honestly, who, even for a second, thought that a Coke didn't have an asinine amount of sugar? IT'S A COKE. TASTE ONE.

Like, obviously things with ice cream, peanut butter, whole fat milk, and fudge all mixed together is a sh- load of calories.

"Juice" that's highly concentrated. HELLO? IT SAYS IT ON THE LABEL.

YES I measure/weigh/count food THAT'S HOW YOU GET AN ACCURATE COUNT.

I guess I just assume everybody is an adult and reads the labels and isn't stupid.

I hardly think people are "stupid" for not knowing the calorie content of everything they eat/drink. Uneducated when it comes to healthy eating? perhaps. That's why I posted this in the "Getting Started" forum, because I am still learning - some of the things I am learning shock me and it looks like I'm not alone. No need for snarky comments when people are merely coming here to improve their knowledge.
  • Charneney
    Charneney Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    BOOOM!!! Agreed! :)
  • Fujigala
    Fujigala Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Enchiladas. Enough Said.

Yum
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Actually, yes, I do count out nuts and record them accurately. And I read te labels on everything. And eat out much less often.

I count nuts too. And chips.
  • jpvanzut
    jpvanzut Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Chipotle. Had the salad... held the cheese and guac and it was still nearly 700 calories and over 2000 mg of sodium!!!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Most salad dressings. Now I only use balsamic vinegar or this avocado vinaigrette from Whole Foods that is really yummy and low in calories.
  • lsigall
    lsigall Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Eggs were a shocker for me too, but in the other direction. I was like "one large egg has only 70 calories? Sweet!"
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with Chipotle. Holy cow (no pun intended) I had no idea what eve their salad was! Talk about reality check!
  • esquire9
    esquire9 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake did it for me. I knew they were high but 1300 calories !!!!!! yikes !
  • BrouhardRj
    BrouhardRj Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Fruit Yogurts and Greek yogurt.. I couldn't believe some of the sugar intake Dang...
    also cheese and cereals..
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't eat muffins! 400-800 calories for a muffin. You could eat 3 or 4 cookies for 800 calories.
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Chipotle. Had the salad... held the cheese and guac and it was still nearly 700 calories and over 2000 mg of sodium!!!

The thing that blows me away about sodium at all restaurants is just like... how the eff did they manage to get so much salt in their food? You can make the exact same salad from Chipotle at home, and it'd probably taste better, definitely costs less, and will have a quarter of the sodium.

Do they just soak everything in salt?
  • klerato
    Options
    Yes, an avocado wrap. I like tuna wraps and one time a colleague gave me an avocado wrap,It was huge but super healthy. We checked the calories and the wrap alone was like 400 calories!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

The thing that blows me away about sodium at all restaurants is just like... how the eff did they manage to get so much salt in their food? You can make the exact same salad from Chipotle at home, and it'd probably taste better, definitely costs less, and will have a quarter of the sodium.

Do they just soak everything in salt?

Restaurants, especially chain restaurants, use a lot of bulk ingredients (canned, etc) rather than made from scratch. Those ingredients have tons of sodium in them before the restaurant does anything to them. Then they make sure to season for a palate that's used to lots of sodium, because most of their market would find the food bland if they didn't. And there you go.
  • KGill67
    KGill67 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal. All good cals but 190 or so for only 45 grams / half cup?! It surprised me but didn't deter me from eating it.....just caused me to adjust my intake accordingly.

But that's for 1/2 cup of uncooked rolled oats, right? After adding a cup of water and cooking them, I find it to be a decent-sized serving of oatmeal.
  • drivinpumpkin
    drivinpumpkin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lol I so agree I measured out a 1/2 cup cereal and milk I about died. I could not believe that is all I could have. My sugar count is always the highest.
  • Khamara_01
    Khamara_01 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i always break my calories in 3 so i get a third for every meal, i then plan what im going to eat, and then if i have extra or have done a good work out, i can have a treat i.e. an ice cream or something. It gets to tricky if you don't plan and you end up missing dinner or something when you aren't full.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was shocked at everything!!

I still get "tricked" at restaurants even though I check the nutrition beforehand somehow I order high calorie meals at times.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking OJ long ago because it is so high in sugar and calories like other fruit juices that I also avoid.

I replaced OJ with low-sodium V8 in the morning and like it and do not miss OJ.

It is eye-opening when you discover what you were and are eating and drinking. Knowledge is power.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Orange juice. All the way! I was totally shocked. Even eggs I was shocked, jsut becuase I thought they were less calories. Cheese too.

Eggs? They are like 80 calories for an egg but a good source of protein. I wouldn't put them on the 'shocker' list.