I am beggin, help me lose weight.

Options

Replies

• ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    I have 6 boys (4 teenagers) and a husband so I know a thing or two about living with tempting foods. You have to gain some controls. That may mean denying yourself those bad foods all together for a while. You have to drop all the excuses. You will not starve, you will not hurt your metabolism, you may be cranky and that is ok, you may hate life for a while and that is ok too. No you cannot live like this forever but that is not an excuse to not do it now because your body will adjust to your new diet and those cravings you cannot live with will gradually go away. You think you cannot keep up the pace forever but when the pace is greater than you think you can bear that is the moment you become stronger. If it is easy then it is not going to get you to your goal. There will be tears, there will be disappointment, there will be plateaus but you have to decide now if this is what you want and if it is then you throw yourself into it and let the results worry about themselves. Here is my advise:

1. Diet - Eat less than you burn and make sure you chose quality and quantity over temporary pleasure
    2. Exercise - Just move everytime you find yourself sitting still
    3. Determination - Don't stop, don't cheat, don't let the scale lie to you, don't make excuses, don't let social obligations derail you, don't depend on others noticing, DO think before you eat - will this make me happier in the long run?

Good luck!

Thank you so much!
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    You can even look up healthier alternatives to the foods they make. For example I use plain yogurt instead of sour cream.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I don't have friends or anyone who would be interested in knowing about my progress. I think I need Jillian Michaels type of a person, who will see what I eat and say no don't do that, with who I can share weightloss/weightgain.
    Weightloss is difficult already but when you have no support it just doubles the pain.
    You're in the right place. MFP has so many people who have lost 100, 200, 300+ lbs through sheer willpower, diet and exercise. You will get amazing tips here and make friends who will make you understand that it *can* be done, easier than you think, and that it's just a matter of focus. And that it can be a fun process at times, too.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    First, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
    Eat at a calorie deficit for weight loss and find an exercise you love for your health. Think portion control and moderation. Weigh, measure and log everything. Be honest. Be patient. Trust the process. It works. You don't need to deprive yourself, just eat less and move more.
    Do you mind telling how long it took you to lose 87 pounds?
    Not at all. About 11 months. So about 2lbs a week, sometimes less or even the odd small gain. But always trending downwards. I lost 30lbs before that on my own. Look at my diary if you like, I think it's public. I've done pretty much that all along. I try for a daily deficit of about 750 calories for 1.5lb a week loss. There's some treats everyday, but lots of protein and fiber. I don't worry about sugar, especially if it's from fruit. As you can see, I don't eat what would be considered 'clean'. I eat foods I enjoy. Just less than I used to. That's what's sustainable or me. Some people love super healthy food and want it all the time, but I wouldn't be able to do that.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    You say you live with your parents but is there some reason why you can't buy and prepare at least some of your own food? Have your own healthy breakfasts and lunches and small portions of whatever they have for dinner?

I struggle with motivation too. You aren't alone. But there is truly nothing for it but to wake up one day and say "Today I'm going to do better." And then the next day, and the next.

Start by just tracking. Don't try to change what you eat. Just track it. See how much you're eating. Do that for a week, or even two. Then the next week, eat 200 or 500 calories less. Keep working your way down until you're eating at the level MFP recommends. Don't beat yourself up when you have off days. Just GET BACK ON THAT HORSE. You can do this. Do it for you.

I don't work so have no money to purchase my own food, and I go to college so if there is something I could make for myself im busy and when I do get a chance to cook, my mom says "oh why are you cooking separately? You are just wasting food, eat what we are eating."
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    You need to do way more than 15 mins.

I don't do it to stress myself and make me hate working out. I do is slowly to get myself used to it, it eventually increases.

Add to your daily activity while you do this. Park at the edge of the lot and walk to the store, work, or school. Take the stairs. Go to the mall after dinner and just window shop for an hour (stay away from the food court). If you are in school study while you pace. Put on music in your room and dance. Play with your pets. Watch TV standing up. Help clean the house. Exercise does not have to be structured to be effective.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    You don't need to eat 'healthy' or 'rabbit' food to lose weight, you just have to eat LESS of what you eat, be more careful in what you choose from your plate (ie eat most of the veg rather than the fries) and log your food so you know how many calories you are eating. I have done that and lost 70 lbs in 7 months. You definitely need self discipline and to get your head round what you really want. Do you want to be fat? Do you want to get fatter and unhealthier? No of course you don't so DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!

Nobody can make you lose weight, you need to grow up, be adult about it, overcome your issues, and succeed!

Everyone can do it you know, it's no secret. Don't be the one who would rather whinge about how they can't do it, be the one who CAN.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    You guys, all of you, have no idea how much your words helped me. I'm so grateful you responded. Thank you all sooo much!
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I do workout, I've been working out 5 days a week on elliptical. To start out I did 3 mins a day, then in a week 6 mins, now im at 15 plus squats and dumbells for arms. This is no problem, but the food...it's just impossible. I'm one of those people that doesn't do what preaches. I KNOW how to...I just need some sort of kick or some advise...I don't know,.

are you logging what you eat? it might be an eye opener, it makes you accountable for everything you put in your mouth. You have such a defeatist attitude, calling it 'impossible' - it's really not.
  • RaggedyPond
    Options
    [/quote]
    Not at all. About 11 months. So about 2lbs a week, sometimes less or even the odd small gain. But always trending downwards. I lost 30lbs before that on my own. Look at my diary if you like, I think it's public. I've done pretty much that all along. I try for a daily deficit of about 750 calories for 1.5lb a week loss. There's some treats everyday, but lots of protein and fiber. I don't worry about sugar, especially if it's from fruit. As you can see, I don't eat what would be considered 'clean'. I eat foods I enjoy. Just less than I used to. That's what's sustainable or me. Some people love super healthy food and want it all the time, but I wouldn't be able to do that.
    [/quote]

You have to exercise a lot! I have a hard time keeping a 500 deficit.
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    Ah here it is, just found it the other day. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1073352-please-post-here-if-you-have-an-open-diary?hl=Open+diaries
    Here's where some people with open diaries have posted. You might find it interesting.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    I do workout, I've been working out 5 days a week on elliptical. To start out I did 3 mins a day, then in a week 6 mins, now im at 15 plus squats and dumbells for arms. This is no problem, but the food...it's just impossible. I'm one of those people that doesn't do what preaches. I KNOW how to...I just need some sort of kick or some advise...I don't know,.

are you logging what you eat? it might be an eye opener, it makes you accountable for everything you put in your mouth. You have such a defeatist attitude, calling it 'impossible' - it's really not.

I know it's possible, I see so many people having successful stories, I just always give up and need self discipline, which I can't make myself have. I always feel sorry for myself...
  • shaplebound
    shaplebound Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!!!! One Day at a time. Log your calories, .ALL OF THEM, After you do this for a while, You will see how many calories you are consuming, and slowly try to cut those calories, You will then see lbs. start to disappear slowly, and it is amazing when you set your mind to do this YOU CAN!!!!! Considering your health issue with being pre diabetic should be enough KICK IN THE REAR END, for you to seriously want to do this... When I joined MFP I was at about 235lbs, 5ft 3in. my blood pressure was slightly elevated, and my doctor wanted to put me on a medication,but he suggested for me to try to take off a few lbs. that it may help, Knowing I really needed to... Another SWIFT KICK IN MY REAR WAS, I lost my daughter in law 2 yrs. prior at the age of 39 to a massive heart attack (she was very overweight) leaving a husband of 16 yrs. 2 children, ages 14 and 2..
    Yes, you can do this!!!!! I'M not meaning to be rude, But sometimes a little nudge in the behind helps greatly!!! Best of luck to you!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    You have to exercise a lot! I have a hard time keeping a 500 deficit.
    Yes, I try and stay pretty active. I like to eat.:laugh: Don't forget though, I started at 300lbs. I probably burned 3000 calories or so doing nothing. I am still overweight, but it is getting tougher to hit that burn.
  • RaggedyPond
    Options
    Good for you :)

I very much hate the decrease in burn. I am having to start doing 2 a days sometimes.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!!!! One Day at a time. Log your calories, .ALL OF THEM, After you do this for a while, You will see how many calories you are consuming, and slowly try to cut those calories, You will then see lbs. start to disappear slowly, and it is amazing when you set your mind to do this YOU CAN!!!!! Considering your health issue with being pre diabetic should be enough KICK IN THE REAR END, for you to seriously want to do this... When I joined MFP I was at about 235lbs, 5ft 3in. my blood pressure was slightly elevated, and my doctor wanted to put me on a medication,but he suggested for me to try to take off a few lbs. that it may help, Knowing I really needed to... Another SWIFT KICK IN MY REAR WAS, I lost my daughter in law 2 yrs. prior at the age of 39 to a massive heart attack (she was very overweight) leaving a husband of 16 yrs. 2 children, ages 14 and 2..
    Yes, you can do this!!!!! I'M not meaning to be rude, But sometimes a little nudge in the behind helps greatly!!! Best of luck to you!!!:flowerforyou:

Thank you so much!!! You weren't rude! It's just the way I need to hear it. :smile:
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options

I know it's possible, I see so many people having successful stories, I just always give up and need self discipline, which I can't make myself have. I always feel sorry for myself...
    Well then that's the first thing you need to stop. You ARE capable of self-discipline, even an entire life change. The only thing keeping you from losing weight is the false notion that you're incapable of losing weight. You certainly can. All you need to do is decide you can, and then decide to make the lifestyle changes that will make it happen.
  • marieskee
    marieskee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I was in the same situation a few months ago. I was stuck and feeling hopeless, not motivated and wanting to change but not bad enough to do something about it other that think of the negatives. I can't go to the gym, I hate working out, blah blah blah. My issue was I was over thinking everything but doing nothing. Then one day i said screw it, I don't care what the experts say, I don't care that such and such lost an x amount of weight by doing xyz, all I care about is ME doing something NOW even if its only eating clean or counting calories, walking a minute or a mile BUT I had to do something and one day turned into day 1, followed by day 2 fast forward to month 4!

My advice don't put too much thought or negative energy into losing weight, instead take it one day at a time. Find what works for YOU or doesn't. Come on here for support/advice and commit to YOURSELF and weight loss!:wink:

Good luck on you weight loss journey as it is a beautiful thing!
  • LadyKaie
    Options
    Eating a lot isn't bad, if you eat the right things... combined with a bit of activity.
    That doesn't mean you have to eat like a rabbit and run marathons, rather making modest changes to net big results.
    Take a short walk around the block before your large meal of the day, (this should be breakfast or lunch, as a big dinner will not be burned off before you sleep). This little bit of activity will also help curb your appetite. Keep hydrated. Often, when you have the growlies, but aren't sure what you want, try a drink of water or tea first, because you might just be thirsty. I'm not a fan of water, (do you know what fish DO in that?!?! **giggles**), but I drink a lot of tea. Iced green tea, white tea, flavoured teas, hot tea for sipping. I sweeten with Stevia, (a natural no cal swetener that also lowers your blood pressure). Depending on your climate, you can grow your own.
    There are tons of veggies that have nominal calorie count, but are bursting at the seams with energy boosters for you. Salad doesn't have to be just boring lettuce - add some strawberries, mandarin orange slices and goat cheese to a bed of fresh spinach. Use poppyseed dressing, and you have a delectable delight that you won't want to share. Check out your local supermarket's deli counter for ideas.
    Flavour foods with herbs instead of salt. Onions are a natural diuretic, and will help you flush toxins from your body. Steam or poach foods, rather than sautée or fry. Experiment with spiced vinegars to give it extra zing. Discover soups for snacks instead of crackers or chips. The spoon will only hold so much, so you won't be absentmindedly grabbing a handful to munch on.
    Reduce starches and sugars, until your activity level demands them. Try using cucumber slices for canapés instead of crackers. Substitute mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes. Clear soups instead of cream soups.
    When you do have starches and sugars, make them worth it. Fruit is better than soda pop. Slow down the release of the sugars into your blood stream by combining them with protein or fibre so you don't spike and then crash into another craving. Apple slices with peanut butter or grapes with cheese.
    Ultimately, it comes down to choices. When I decline my mother's fresh banana loaf, she asks "Don't you like my babana loaf?", and I answer "Yes, I love your banana loaf, but I love being trim, even better", as I grab a slice of watermelon.
    Have faith in yourself. Experiment with food. It's not a bad thing, it's fun!
    Soon enough, your dad will be joining you for that walk, and telling you how proud he is of the success you have made. :-)
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I am so happy I've asked for help and even more happier so many of you responded. You made my day!!! I am so thankful to you guys. I will try, I will fail and succeed !!! with all the advices I got from you guys I know I can improve my life!!!
This discussion has been closed.