TEA WARS: white, black, red, green

Options
13»

Replies

• kramalicious
    Options
    I am trying to drink less soda, and so we drink a combo of green and black iced tea, with a little orange juice mixed in. Both green and black teas have healthy components to them, as does the white, so if you're drinking tea you're helping yourself. Green tea is really popular right now as a topical skin care ingredient so it's good for you all around. Tea rocks!
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Black > Green > White

My all-time favorite is a black tea, Pu-erh....but i also LOVE Matcha which is green powdered

By red tea do you mean Rooibos? if so then i'm not a fan of the red but that is not actually a true tea. It's an herbal variety. I do like some other herbal "teas" for energy, like Tulsi, Ginkgo & Ginseng. I have also tried Yerba Mate which did give me energy but also a throbbing headache.

Pu Erh is my favorite as well but it is not a black tea. It has a totally different production process. There are black/cooked pu erhs and green/uncooked pu erhs. Pu Erhs are different because the fermentation process in the tea is slowed not stopped. So people buy pu erhs like they do wines knowing that the flavor is going to change over time. It is the only tea where the oxidation process is not totally stopped.

you are absolutely correct, it is a different process than black teas. i meant black or dark cooked pu-erh (shu)....I have never had the green (sheng) variety but i would like to try it
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Black > Green > White

My all-time favorite is a black tea, Pu-erh....but i also LOVE Matcha which is green powdered

By red tea do you mean Rooibos? if so then i'm not a fan of the red but that is not actually a true tea. It's an herbal variety. I do like some other herbal "teas" for energy, like Tulsi, Ginkgo & Ginseng. I have also tried Yerba Mate which did give me energy but also a throbbing headache.

Pu Erh is my favorite as well but it is not a black tea. It has a totally different production process. There are black/cooked pu erhs and green/uncooked pu erhs. Pu Erhs are different because the fermentation process in the tea is slowed not stopped. So people buy pu erhs like they do wines knowing that the flavor is going to change over time. It is the only tea where the oxidation process is not totally stopped.

you are absolutely correct, it is a different process than black teas. i meant black or dark cooked pu-erh (shu)....I have never had the green (sheng) variety but i would like to try it

oh and i agree with those that think oolong is delicious, i can't believe that i forgot to mention it!
  • teaparty75
    Options
    i love blak tea BUT it turns my lips black - at first i didn't care UNTIL then someone noticed it LOL
  • agressre
    agressre Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Black > Green > White

oh and i agree with those that think oolong is delicious, i can't believe that i forgot to mention it!

The green Pu Erh is pretty awesome. Very different taste then the black Pu Erh.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I'm not overly picky about my tea, but if given a choice I usually go with black. I am slowly making the change from coffee to tea. I'm down to one cup of coffee first thing in the morning, and about 3 cups of tea w/ splenda during the rest of the morning/afternoon. I was happily surprised at how easy it has been to change over, especially since I used to only drink tea when I was sick.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Tea, Earl Grey, hot.
    I love having a replicator, it makes things so much easier!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I prefer black. Green has the highest concentration of antioxidants. I typically have a large mug with a mix of green and black every morning. I don't like the taste of green alone.
  • StripedSmoker
    StripedSmoker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The smell of rooibos gives me an intense headache but GIMME ALL THE OTHER TEA! Grew up in a family drinking tea all day, camomile, black, peppermint, green, everything :) Some had/have to grow on me but I give every tea a chance or two and usually it wins me over.
  • VeeSis
    Options
    I like tea. Period. Usually drank Earl Gray, bBut I have switched to green tea only because my doc said it's the best for keeping one's cholesterol low. Who knows? Anyway, I am trying it until my next labs are run.
  • justanotherloser007
    Options
    If you are sensitive to caffeine, there are soo many of your favorite teas decaffeinated! I have decaf: Earl Grey, and Green Tea. I also have a ton of hibiscus which is herbal, decaf and I don't think it's considered red tea. Hibiscus is for the tart at heart yummy!

Usually, red tea is Rooibus and some others. I hated the taste of it, so I have it in my cabinet - looking at me. Judging me :O
  • dunadan
    dunadan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Mmmm....tea. I have had a cup (or three) of Mariage Freres French Breakfast in the morning, every morning, for the past several years. It's hard to start my day without it. :) Unfortunately, there are only a few places in the US that carry it, and the selection that is available is quite limited. So, I order it in bulk directly from France. Here is my last order (the big bag in the back is one kg of French Breakfast, of which I am sadly almost out--time to re-order!):

i6gn6o.jpg

Also on my shelf at work are black teas (always black teas) from The O Dor, Granville Tea Company, Yumchaa, Teavana, Fortnum & Mason, Harney & Sons...

And let's not get started on the obsessive collection of teas at home. :smile:
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer:

❤ organic green tea

❤ organic white tea
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    There are lots of high-quality bagged teas. I don't like bothering with loose, even if there is a flavor advantage.

I split this bad boy with a friend once and it really helped me figure out what kinds of tea I like. No citrus and no rooibos - anything else, bring it on. http://www.stashtea.com/Year-of-Stash-Teas-Sampler/dp/B006E9OMAA

My favorite: Genmai Green, a mix of green tea and toasted brown rice.
  • jadedhippo
    jadedhippo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I only drink green tea and I buy it with lemon and ginger added.