Cooking for a boyfriend on a bulk.

Options

Replies

• lessthan60
    Options
    and if you want this relationship to go anywhere at all, you should stop bringing his mom into every situation, *especially* if you have negative shish to say about her. There is no reason in the world i needed to hear not one, but TWO criticisms of his momma's cooking in order to give advice on this subject.

I never ever criticized his mom's cooking to him personally, it's not something you say to your man.
  • lessthan60
    Options
    Add an extra tablespoon of olive oil to whatever you make. For protein use hemp seeds. You can throw them into anything - tomato sauce, salads, cookies. Here's some decent recipes for them -

http://www.hippiebutter.com/hemp-seed-video-recipes/

Living in Italy, we already use a TON of olive oil! the hemp seeds is a fantastic idea though, thank you!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

My original question, in case you're all misunderstood, is how to make a picky eater try new foods that will help him bulk up.

You can't. If he doesn't want to try it, you can't make him. If he really wants your help. he'll try what you offer. If he's not willing to try it, he doesn't really want your help, does he?

You can make a child try new foods. You can't make a grown man do anything he doesn't want to do. So which is it?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    why are you trying so hard to "make" him do something he truly doesnt want to do? he knows where the kitchen is, doesnt he?
    ^^This^^ My boyfriend didn't know how to cook when we first got together because his Mother didn't *trust* him in the kitchen. Once I gave him free reign to play and experiment, I'm sitting back and seriously enjoying the concoctions he comes up with now!

I don't have the right mind-set to consider that to be okay. If it were up to him he would eat pasta for lunch and dinner every day.

I don't see the problem with that. Pasta can be pretty calorie dense and it has some protein - both what you want for bulking.

I guess I don't understand why he needs to try new foods to bulk.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Nuts?

So now you're going to mother him instead...smh.
  • lessthan60
    Options
    why are you trying so hard to "make" him do something he truly doesnt want to do? he knows where the kitchen is, doesnt he?
    ^^This^^ My boyfriend didn't know how to cook when we first got together because his Mother didn't *trust* him in the kitchen. Once I gave him free reign to play and experiment, I'm sitting back and seriously enjoying the concoctions he comes up with now!

I don't have the right mind-set to consider that to be okay. If it were up to him he would eat pasta for lunch and dinner every day.

I don't see the problem with that. Pasta can be pretty calorie dense and it has some protein - both what you want for bulking.

Because it's really tiring to cook the same food all the time when in my home country I love to try new things in the kitchen.
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Add lots of vegetables to pasta ...a little extra olive oil as someone suggested......how about more of cheese? Since he loves pasta you can try more of cheesy pastas....you can make different kinds of pizzas....Italians love pizza (everyone does :) hmm) ...
    Beans, spinach, pulses, cheese, full fat greek yogurts, nuts, avocados for abundant protein....you can make some yummy salads with some protein dense foods....and some groundnuts thrown in...:flowerforyou:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Because it's really tiring to cook the same food all the time when in my home country I love to try new things in the kitchen.

So try new things. If he doesn't want to try it or eat it he can fix his own.
    Or, if you really want to, make some of what you want and some of what you know he will eat. Or add a little something new to his usual dish, don't change it all at once.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,070 Member
    Options

So essentially, it's about you, not him.
  • lessthan60
    Options

So try new things. If he doesn't wan to try it or eat it he can fix his own.
    Or, if you really want to, make some of what you want and some of what you know he will eat. Or add a little something new to his usual dish, don't change it all at once.

That's a pretty fool-proof idea actually. Him and I can't eat the same foods since I'm on a different diet than him, but adding to his usual dish might work very well!
    Also I think he doesn't like trying new things because as a kid he ate only the same foods all the time. I'd like him to try new yummy foods that I know will be fattening because I enjoy cooking them and maybe he'll end up loving them and he won't have to eat vegetable pie, frittata, and pasta every day.
  • lessthan60
    Options

Yes, because wanting to cook hearty and delicious meals for my man totally has everything to do with me and absolutely nothing with providing someone a variety of great home cooked meals.
  • jenmarqueiro
    jenmarqueiro Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend is 6ft 3inches and on a bulk. he has to eat 4000 calories a day roughly. for breakfast he has cooked breakfast with potatoes and such, making up about 500 calories or more. then for lunch tomato pasta with Quorn chicken pieces - amazing. and use the pieces for curries and everything too. Also he has shakes and is going to have mass gaining shakes soon too. and nuts and yogurts.

He has managed to put on 15lb in 2 months! This is someone who has struggled to gain weight for years, but this has worked for him! Quorn products are amazing. High protein, low fat for most as well. seriously look into it - that's if you like fake meat products! aha
  • lessthan60
    Options
    my boyfriend is 6ft 3inches and on a bulk. he has to eat 4000 calories a day roughly. for breakfast he has cooked breakfast with potatoes and such, making up about 500 calories or more. then for lunch tomato pasta with Quorn chicken pieces - amazing. and use the pieces for curries and everything too. Also he has shakes and is going to have mass gaining shakes soon too. and nuts and yogurts.

He has managed to put on 15lb in 2 months! This is someone who has struggled to gain weight for years, but this has worked for him! Quorn products are amazing. High protein, low fat for most as well. seriously look into it - that's if you like fake meat products! aha

That sounds really effective! My boyfriend's stats are similar except he's 6'8" and 155lbs. Is your boyfriend doing exercise as well?
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,070 Member
    Options

Yes, because wanting to cook hearty and delicious meals for my man totally has everything to do with me and absolutely nothing with providing someone a variety of great home cooked meals.

I think it's admirable that you wish to cook for your man, but if it is not something he desires and he is happy with what he's been eating (you are the one who finds it bland and monotonous - not everyone has an adventurous palate), then perhaps there is another way you can show your affection.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Beans are a good source of protein. Also, lots of ice cream.

Normally I would recommend bacon. Tell him he's missing out of food that makes his soul smile by being vegetarian.

He doesn't eat meat unless he hunts for it himself. Kind of pointless considering he doesn't have his hunting license.

I'm confused by this statement (I guess I'm the only one). You say he is a vegetarian, but not if he hunts the meat for himself, is this correct? How again is he a vegetarian?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Ooooooh. So you're the one with the problem, not him. Now I understand
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    and if you want this relationship to go anywhere at all, you should stop bringing his mom into every situation, *especially* if you have negative shish to say about her. There is no reason in the world i needed to hear not one, but TWO criticisms of his momma's cooking in order to give advice on this subject.

I never ever criticized his mom's cooking to him personally, it's not something you say to your man.

in the space of a 120 word OP, you called your boyfriend a momma's boy and said that his momma was a boring, bland, unoriginal cook. if you put all that out there in 90 seconds worth of typing to strangers i'm betting cash money that you get this message across to him on the regular. all communication isn't verbal.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    He's a vegetarian and a momma's boy. I would say get rid of him.

All Italians are momma's boys.

This is the most ridiculous statement. :angry:

(I'm Italian, along with my husband)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Beans are a good source of protein. Also, lots of ice cream.

Normally I would recommend bacon. Tell him he's missing out of food that makes his soul smile by being vegetarian.

He doesn't eat meat unless he hunts for it himself. Kind of pointless considering he doesn't have his hunting license.

I'm confused by this statement (I guess I'm the only one). You say he is a vegetarian, but not if he hunts the meat for himself, is this correct? How again is he a vegetarian?

You are not the only one.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Can you all please stop telling me not to cook for him? not everyone enjoys the thought of not taking care of the man you live with. Also how dare some of you say he's not a man, being a picky eater has nothing to do with manliness, nor does asking your woman to help you with gaining weight have to do with being a man or not. I am just more informed on weight loss and exercise topics than he is, it's only normal for the more experienced person to help them out.

My original question, in case you're all misunderstood, is how to make a picky eater try new foods that will help him bulk up. Of course on the realm of the internet everyone has to jump to conclusions.

I would disguise new foods as foods he's used to. make bland italian food and change something. Keep changing one thing until it morphs into something else and he probably won't even notice. For the record though, italian food is one of the easiest to add tons of calories to..,. it shouldn't be hard to bulk on that cuisine.. Other than that.. Just make new food and make him try it. put a plate in front of him. if he's hungry odds are he'll at least taste it.