American "lady" in Starbucks...LONGPORT??

Options
12346»

Replies

• VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Am I only one who is confused on why it would be a "long pour" - if she asked the term "do you sell" - wouldn't it be something like "can you do"?

Do you SELL implies it's an object/thing that can be bought. If it's just pouring the coffee in a certain way, then obviously they would be able to do it - she would just need to explain what it is.

Maybe? Or I could just be another stupid American who doesn't know what I'm talking about :)

She definitely said "sell" hmmm the plot thickens...
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Why do I keep see images of Snooki in a Starbucks wearing a packed fanny?

Haha :) the woman looked like Estelle Getty from The Golden Girls.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm American and I have no idea what a long port or long pour is. But I come from the part of the US that where Dunkin Donuts is more popular than Starbucks (despite my profile pic, LOL).
    It seems to me that if it really was a "long pour" as demonstrated in the pic above, the poor barista would burn him or herself as there would be a lot of hot coffee splashing around. But what do I know? I liked my coffee iced.
    On a side note, as an American I would like to sue someone for the right to watch Sherlock when you Brits get to instead of having to wait for it to come out on Netflix. It is totally unfair.

PBS gets it sooner than Netflix, doesn't it?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Why do I keep see images of Snooki in a Starbucks wearing a packed fanny?

Haha :) the woman looked like Estelle Getty from The Golden Girls.

Bwahahahahaha that's even better :laugh:
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options

LOL when Americans say yank they are reffering to male self love.

Oh and OP another thought I'm glad that she didnt take out a semi automatic weapon and gun you all down as us Americans are known to do. Could have been close though after all you didnt have her longport.

Or yanking something...like a chain or rope. It is not ALL *kitten* over here.

Yes we yank things like that too. The other would be toss rather than yank though.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    the lovely people on MFP educated me on why fanny pack is such a funny word. I would still use it though if I was traveling just to brighten someone's day.

Oh here honey stick it in my fanny pack. It's full isnt it? Yeah you gotta really pack it in my fanny pack what with all the cameras and change in there.

Then ask clerks in the store to wait a second while you look in your fanny pack and ask the waiter at restaurants if it's OK to put your fanny up on the table.

Oh the fun I could have!

Ouch! Suddenly I have a desperate urge to cross my legs very tightly, and my eyes are watering. :sick: Same as when I think of that articulated shoe horn they use for smear tests. Also, I'm excruciatingly embarrassed. :embarassed:
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    You're quite sure it wasn't Janet Street Porter heavily disguised?
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I'm American and I have no idea what a long port or long pour is. But I come from the part of the US that where Dunkin Donuts is more popular than Starbucks (despite my profile pic, LOL).
    It seems to me that if it really was a "long pour" as demonstrated in the pic above, the poor barista would burn him or herself as there would be a lot of hot coffee splashing around. But what do I know? I liked my coffee iced.
    On a side note, as an American I would like to sue someone for the right to watch Sherlock when you Brits get to instead of having to wait for it to come out on Netflix. It is totally unfair.

PBS gets it sooner than Netflix, doesn't it?

Must look into this. Netflix is caught up now but not for long. And I've been living off the old episodes. Oh well, Star Trek comes out next week...
  • WildlyCurly
    WildlyCurly Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    She's obviously Australian. Get it right.

She was wearing a bum bag (fanny pack) :laugh: definitely a yank!

Incorrect, Yankees live in the North of the US while fanny pack a purely hillbilly/redneck garment.

Yank - 1. A term used by the British to describe all Americans.

Yank
    yaNGk/
    noun
    noun: Yank; plural noun: Yanks

another term for Yankee (sense 1 and sense 2).

Interesting how being called a Yankee has different connotations in different locations.

Outside of the USA: Used to describe an American

In Southern States of USA: Used to describe someone from the North, or could be used to describe a yankees fan or player.

In Boston or other places in the New England region of USA: Used to describe a Yankees fan or player, usually followed by the word "sucks" or a derogatory word. (But not always...)

In New York: Used to describe a Yankees fan or player, usually followed by good adjectives (but not always, especially if you live in Queens with lots of Mets fans and get called a Yankee because a mets fan spotted your shirt or hat be prepared to debate why you like Yankees when you live in Queens, it happens a lot, to me anyways...)
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    When I mentally fill in the accent I automatically think New Jersey, possibly New York, though obviously I could be 'hearing' it wrong. It would explain the reference to a long pour, too - a high concentration of Europeans and their descendents there. The fanny pack is a puzzle, though. No self-respecting New Yorker would be caught dead with one. Not sure about those from New Jersey :wink:

What from the story made you assume this woman was "self-respecting"?
  • tripledipped13
    tripledipped13 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Incorrect, Yankees live in the North of the US while fanny pack a purely hillbilly/redneck garment.
    [/quote]

I do believe this is the first response that has ever pissed me off to the point of responding....anyway there is a HUGE difference between a redneck and a hillbilly---PLEASE REFRAIN from putting the two together...another stereotype that is not wise to place with redneck is white trash.....a redneck works hard and plays hard neither of which you will find a hillbilly or white trash doing.....
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Perhaps if she had remembered to bring along her Hungarian phrasebook then all confusion could have been avoided:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akbflkF_1zY

tumblr_ml7v65Yqo61s8t3eao8_250.gif
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    So did we figure out what it was yet?

-Curious American