Those who lost 20-30lbs... how long did it take you?

Options
12346»

Replies

• ramsx1991
    ramsx1991 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It took me about 2 months to lose 29 lbs.

I had 75 lbs to lose when I started. Now my weight loss is slower, just like it should be.

Oh! Edit to add that I just ate about 1200 calories a day and worked out 5 days a week. Cardio and strength training.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 lbs in 6 months when I first joined. I ate to lose 1 pound a week, plus exercise calories, for the first four months, then switched to a half pound a week for the last two months. On average, I ate between 1350-1500 plus exercise calories, or 1800-2000+ total. For exercise, I ran 3x a week and did circuit training with dumbbells 3-4x a week, with one rest day. In retrospect, I wish I started barbell strength training sooner, because that had a bigger impact on my body shape than light weights and cardio.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    6-7 months, I was averaging 1lb per week or so. My b/f pic in my profile is about an 8-9 lbs difference from late last summer to now.
  • rfechter
    rfechter Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It has been a long slow 7 years for me to lose the almost 40 lbs total. It was done by exercising more often and more intensely as well as slowly reducing how much I ate.
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30lbs in the past 2 months. I used diet (low-cal, chris powell's carb cycling, clean(er) eating, and smaller/more frequent meals) and exercise (hiking, strength training, and kettle bell). But I'm a big guy with a lot to lose and I'm trying to gain some strength too. I wouldn't worry too much or focus on how well or what rates others have done. Just ask for advice, do some research, and try things a few things out to see what works best for you.
  • ISPEAKWHALE2
    ISPEAKWHALE2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I lost 24 the the first two months and 7 on the third month.
  • Needachange84
    Needachange84 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I lost 22 in 3 months. I changed the way I ate and did some walking. I'm sure it could have been more but I had my slip days.
  • memawx12
    memawx12 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds from May 1 - August 9th. I eat a low-fat, low-sugar diet and count calories. Also exercise 4x weekly, but it's not strenuous. Walking or stationary bike and some arm toning exercises for 30-45 minutes each time. As of this week I have lost 34 pounds. My goal is 40 pounds lost by October 1 and 50 pounds by my wedding anniversary on November 19th. By the way, I'm 65 years old.
  • kcnj03
    kcnj03 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It took me 4 months to lose 45 lbs! I cut out cheese (allowing blue cheese crumbles if I really wanted cheese), ate lots of protein (I liked eggs and chicken) and used whole grain bread thins or pita pockets for bread. I also cut back on Ketchup, Mayo, BBQ sauce and switched my salad dressings to lite or fat free. I fell in love with Lite Honey Dijon....on everything! I measured everything to be sure I was aware of my serving sizes. Still allowed snacks but instead of sitting with the entire bag, I would put the serving size in a bowl so I wouldn't eat more than I should! Added lots of fruits (breakfast) and veggies to my diet, added 1/4 cup of mushroom or peppers to just about every meal to add flavor and to fill me up with low calories. I plotted foods ahead of time so I didn't get caught at the end of the day going over my goals. That helped alot, because I was able to plan my other meals if I was going to eat out or have something not so healthy for dinner! Running was the best way for me to shed the pounds, but I also did kick boxing and/or a 2 hour gym routine (elliptical, bike, small weights, lunges and sit ups). I kept with 2-3 times a week. It was tough, and many times I wanted to eat "normal" with ketchup on a cheeseburger but I hit my goal and have not gained anything back. Good luck!
  • SoonToBeSkinny320
    Options
    It took me three weeks to lose 10 pounds with serious calorie restriction (800 cals/day), tons of water, and 1 hour of cardio per day. You don't need to do that EVERY day, but perhaps every other day. Always get all your food groups no matter what, or you could become malnourished. I am vegan and wheat-free, but I always get adequate protein and I eat oats. Read Wheat Belly, it will change your life. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wheat-Belly/209766919069873
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Well I lost 70lbs in 7 months, so 10lbs a month. That means for 30lbs it took me 3 months :drinker: Easy
  • COporkchop
    COporkchop Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just had my first weigh in on Thursday after deciding I needed to finally get fit. I'm down 22 pounds over 11 days so far.
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    22lbs in 90 days. Mostly diet, cutting calories with some cardio thrown in 4 - 5 days a week in month 3. Have a total of 43 lbs to lose overall.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    So far I've lost 21 lbs in about 2 and a half months. 1500 calories a day, doing weightlifting and various cardio. Work in progress but...

bg2x4l.jpg

Hope it works...photobucket hates me. I have 24 more pounds to go and quite a bit of body fat to lose. Every day is a day closer to sexy pants..
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    It took me one month to lose a little over 30 lbs. but that was eating too few calories and exercising (walking) a total of 309 miles (yes I keep track). I would think that a reasonable time would be more like 3 months with good diet eating and reasonable exercise. It took me an additional 2 months to lose the next 37 lbs. and the last 2 months I have only lost 3 lbs. since I have a broken foot and cannot walk for exercise.

Seriously I would shoot for eating right, staying within your calories and exercising and shoot for 2 lbs a week and not be disappointed if you fall short some weeks. Remember, it is easier to lose weight than to keep it off. It is best FOR ME to make this a lifestyle change rather than a lose weight quick diet plan. I have 34 lbs to go.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Options
    I just had my first weigh in on Thursday after deciding I needed to finally get fit. I'm down 22 pounds over 11 days so far.

That is great progress and I had similar big losses at first but be prepared for losses to slow as time goes on and you get lighter. I am happy for you but don't want you to give into the feeling of giving up as time goes on.

Congratulations !
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Options
    So far I've lost 21 lbs in about 2 and a half months. 1500 calories a day, doing weightlifting and various cardio. Work in progress but...

bg2x4l.jpg

Hope it works...photobucket hates me. I have 24 more pounds to go and quite a bit of body fat to lose. Every day is a day closer to sexy pants..

You look fantastic. While your camera blocks off part of your face it is obvious your face is much thinner like the rest of you. Great job!
  • nursebkidd
    nursebkidd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your motivation to lose weight comes from within...no program will be successful if you're not in the right frame of mind to really commit to it & make a conscious decision that it is a LIFESTYLE change not a diet. But to answer your question... I've been with MyFitnesspal for 4 months & I've lost 33 lbs. I still have about 22 lbs to go... by Thanksgiving, hopefully, I will have reached my goal. Weight doesn't come on overnight & you certainly can't lose it overnight.