I am beggin, help me lose weight.

Options

Replies

• ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    OP - you sound like you have depression issues

I'm not trying to be critical, but I've read the whole thread through page three. And you sound depressed and struggling with feeling helpless, like you're trapped in your house, have nothing for yourself, and all you can do to self-sooth is eat. And that your parents enforced this learned helplessness state.

I know it's mean and nasty, but sometimes parental units, unconsciously, want to keep a child at home to take care of them and so they sabotage independence or reinforce dependency. My parents were passive-aggressive monsters when I moved out. There were literal temper tantrums directed at me for leaving.

I know you don't have a job, but you said you are in college, are there any student services available for counseling? I think you have much more going on here than wanting to eat too much food. I think you're feeding sadness, anger, and resentment and your young adult growing pains.

Just a total outside observation, but emotional eating is my opinion.

Please do not try to be my therapist on here, I'm(thank God) far far faaaaar from depressed. I go out, I have fun, it's just that it's rare. I'm pretty happy person. Have no pains, sadness, or worse anger. Peace, love , steaks lol.:)

you're in denial

Don't put your 5 cents in and do not diagnose me over the internet. Have you had psychology classes?I bet not, I did! Depression is way different than what I've said on here. Unless you know me from REAL life keep your irrelevant judgments and observations to yourself.

I have a degree in psychology and I'm getting my masters...

I can say whatever I want over internet as well, I can be a mcds worker saying I'm heart surgeon. Get the point? Also reread what I said. UNLESS you know me from real life do NOT try to diagnose or treat me, alrighty?Alright. Please stop talking to me.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I will break it down for you:

Eat less, move more.

Just cut your portion sizes down and walk everywhere you can. Take stairs in buildings instead of lifts/elevators/escalators/etc. That alone will get you kick-started.

I'll ignore all the bollocks psycho-babble spouted in this thread. Everything has to be a condition or a syndrome or a complex nowadays.

That's a bunch of bullsh!t.

Stop being a baby.

Take ownership of yourself.

Stop making excuses.

Get it done.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    I will break it down for you:

Eat less, move more.

Just cut your portion sizes down and walk everywhere you can. Take stairs in buildings instead of lifts/elevators/escalators/etc. That alone will get you kick-started.

I'll ignore all the bollocks psycho-babble spouted in this thread. Everything has to be a condition or a syndrome or a complex nowadays.

That's a bunch of bullsh!t.

Stop being a baby.

Take ownership of yourself.

Stop making excuses.

Get it done.

Oh gosh thank you!!! You said what I was thinking "Everything has to be a condition or a syndrome or a complex nowadays"
    And thanks for tips.
  • TonyaMeadows
    Options
    I am 42 5'4" currently weigh 289. I have weighed at the most was 320 4 years ago until 2 years ago, but I was very sick. I am not able to exercise & unable to walk much due to health and severe back injuries. I have read everything here & see a common thing with you that I saw with myself when I was at my largest. Before you ask or comment, yes I have had several psychology classes & read lots of books on self help. You talk very negative about yourself. You state that you will fail, you deprive yourself if you eat less, you have no self discipline, you feel sorry for yourself....etc. Been there, done that & kicked that crap to the curb. Now since joining MFP, I have only lost 6lbs, but I have found a better understanding of what I was putting in my mouth. My doctor suggested for me to start loosing weight to set a goal of 1800 calories a day. It is enough to help you kick start but not totally deprive your body into thinking you are starving. I love food & I love cooking, but I have changed how & what with. I found that for me to get from 320 to 294, that was where I was when I started on here & my doctor recommend this to help me, I would use a measuring spoon to measure a perfect level of food onto the plate. I used the palm of my hand as how the largest piece of meat I could eat. I did not do any special exercising other than walking. I refuse to have a weighing scale in the house because it is my enemy. I only weigh at my doctor's office. If I had one here, I would feel like a failure because I would be on it all the time. So stay away from it for a month, don't cheat & then see how you do. The BIGGEST thing I see that you have to change is the words that are coming out of you about yourself. It is ALL negative. I did the same so I am not bashing on you. If you state you will fail, you have no other options but to fail. If you are always trying, how can you succeed? I changed my wording & it has made a difference in my life. Instead of trying to do it, I work on doing it. Working is going forward where as trying is to figure out the way. It is how I can stay positive. Instead of I will fail, try saying I am going to succeed no matter what. Instead of saying you have no self discipline, say I am going to give this my all because I am worth it, my living without severe medical issues is worth it, being who I am inside is worth it. Let yourself know that eating less is the only way you will survive. Not to be mean but at 20 I weighed 160 & by the time I hit 40 I was at 320. You are 20 weigh 260...what will you weigh when you are 40? You have the chance to change your thought process, eating habits, & prevent lots of health issues. Now here was my BIGGEST obstacle to overcome... I no longer diet. Dieting made me gain weight because to me it meant I had to deprive myself & starve all the time. I changed & continue to change my eating habits.(notice here none of that sinful diet word) It has helped me go from 320 to 289. Also another big helper is a great measuring tape. Measure everything and record it on here as well. I didn't have one when I started so I went to Hobby Lobby & got the largest one they had. Was like maybe $3. I haven't measured again because I was going to wait until was one month from last time. Hoping it will help as well, but my clothes say I have went down a little more. My doctor encouraged this as well. You have to at least let your mom know that you are changing your eating habits so that you can start loosing the weight to be as healthy as you can. I think you should let her know about what you are facing but that is a personal thing & i understand. If you want to add me as a friend, by all means do it. I would be more than happy to be your friend & willing to recommend some of the recipes I use for my family and they are 2 men who love their food. I also know it is hard to not have people in the same area to help you out. I am 500 miles from family, my best friend is 4 hours away and the only other friend I have close is right at 3 hours away. So being alone in the changing isn't easy, but when it came down to gaining the weight, you were alone inside. The big change is not only on the outside but the inside too. Until I changed my mind on what I was saying & words I was using, I failed trying to diet & felt sorry for myself. I am now loosing weight because I constantly work on changing my eating habits & I am worth it. You can do it too & are worth it too. HUGS Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    tonyameadows,
    thanks for response. Me coming onto this forum is like a cry for help. I've been seriously trying for over 2 years. I've always said I CAN, and then gave up, started again and GAVE up, still had my head high for 2 years, thinking I CAN, I WILL! When I realized no, I couldn't, I keep trying now, HOPEFULLY I can, but I don't have my hopes up since I've tried and failed for years with the positive attitude and assuring myself that I CAN do it.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    OP, you can do this. And you do have friends who can motivate you. That is why we are here.
    Do you eat three meals a day? If so, you can probably control what you eat for breakfast and lunch a little more easily than dinner. I personally eat most of my calories at dinner so I am not as restricted and can have a "full" meal. It's a myth that meal timing (ie, don't eat late, or you have to eat six small meals a day) means all that much. So if that works for you, try it.
    Dinner's not such a tough fix; steak and potatoes are actually OK. Subbing in some frozen veg or your own salad dressing isn't *that* different. What does matter is having a good -- but not too aggressive -- calorie goal and sticking with it. And yes, I eat all kinds of stuff...steak...ice cream....and I have lost 26 pounds in 6-7 months. Is it better to make it all "healthy"? Sure. But do what you can do.
    As far as exercise, what you are doing is good and working up on the elliptical is fine. You could add a 30 or 45 minute walk though, and a little more strength work. When you are ready for more, we can give you lots of suggestions.
    We could all give much more specific advice, but I think the important message now is -- you can do this. Feel free to send me a friend request if you like :)
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    OP, you can do this. And you do have friends who can motivate you. That is why we are here.
    Do you eat three meals a day? If so, you can probably control what you eat for breakfast and lunch a little more easily than dinner. I personally eat most of my calories at dinner so I am not as restricted and can have a "full" meal. It's a myth that meal timing (ie, don't eat late, or you have to eat six small meals a day) means all that much. So if that works for you, try it.
    Dinner's not such a tough fix; steak and potatoes are actually OK. Subbing in some frozen veg or your own salad dressing isn't *that* different. What does matter is having a good -- but not too aggressive -- calorie goal and sticking with it. And yes, I eat all kinds of stuff...steak...ice cream....and I have lost 26 pounds in 6-7 months. Is it better to make it all "healthy"? Sure. But do what you can do.
    As far as exercise, what you are doing is good and working up on the elliptical is fine. You could add a 30 or 45 minute walk though, and a little more strength work. When you are ready for more, we can give you lots of suggestions.
    We could all give much more specific advice, but I think the important message now is -- you can do this. Feel free to send me a friend request if you like :)

Thank you! All the time when I've struggled and needed someone I didn't think someone will even care to post something helpful. Now that I decided to ask for help, I'm happy I did. I got so many tips, so much motivation from all of you. Thank you all. I will do my best this time. You encouraged me, I will try!
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options

Thank you! All the time when I've struggled and needed someone I didn't think someone will even care to post something helpful. Now that I decided to ask for help, I'm happy I did. I got so many tips, so much motivation from all of you. Thank you all. I will do my best this time. You encouraged me, I will try!

And also I do strength work out, I use 8lbs weights after each cardio.
  • kittykinsqt
    kittykinsqt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I've lost 15lbs in the last 2 yrs...

I'm also looking for great supportive friends to help keep me going. If your that kind of person feel free to add me. I've made some very lovely friends already.
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I am 20 year old female, 5'5 , 260 lbs. I've tried and failed for 4 years. I can't control myself. I live with parents so I do not really get to chose food since my dad loves to eat like a man , and I can't handle the smell or presence of yummy food. My problem isn't really that I eat fastfood or junk food, it's more about HOW MUCH. I am sick of being the way I am, I am also prediabetic, but even that doesn't scare me into losing weight. I want to, sooo bad. But I lack self control, please, I am begging you, I am sure there are people just like me who battled through it and lost weight. Please help me.
    Thank you.

Hi, i know what your saying, my downfall was always how much i ate, and eating when i wasn't hungry, and not stopping myself from eating when i was full. That's all past tense now. It may seem simple, but i have found the 'process' of logging my food and counting calories and making sure i don't go over my calorie limit invaluable, i HATE GOING OVER MY CALORIE LIMIT!!! LOL
    This has made me more aware of what i'm eating, and always makes me look at the calorie content of what i'm about to buy and in doing so, i make better choices, this works for me. i think the key word is 'process' you need to find a process that works for you, i log religiously before i eat it, i sometimes log what i'm going to eat later on, to make sure i stay in my limit. atm this has become the most important thing in my life. So far, i've lost 11lbs in about 9 weeks, and i'm enjoying it. i make the food choices that mean i keep a balance between eating clean and not denying myself food that i really like. Slow but steady and more importantly; sustainable.
  • KMMRN
    KMMRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Resisting food is my hardest problem too! Is it possible for you to spend more time away from home, where this is no food to tempt you? Library, swimming pool, etc.?
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    You're 20 years old now. While you still live at home, you're an adult. It's time for you to take control of your choices. As I see it, your options are:

1. Sit down with your parents and explain your situation and your goals. Explain how unhealthy your current lifestyle is, and how you plan to change it. Emphasize that you are doing this for yourself, and they don't have to eat the way you do. Ask them to let you buy some of your own foods - chicken breasts, veggies, etc., that you will cook yourself and eat either with the family of by yourself.

2. If they insist you eat what they eat, then manage your calories through portion control - log everything you eat and make it work.

3. Get a part-time job and buy your own food if they won't buy it for you. For a few bucks, you can grill up a whole pan of chicken breasts that will last all week. Pair that with some steamed veggies (frozen veggies are cheap and nutritious), and maybe some rice or a little pasta, or potato, and you have a healthy, filling meal.

4. Last resort - move out, get a job, and then you can eat whatever you want to without their backlash.

Honestly, exercise isn't the solution to your problem, unless you have the time and the discipline to dedicate 6-8 hours a day to endless cardio. Weight control is mostly what goes in your mouth. Exercise is great for overall fitness and health, and while I encourage it, that's not the issue here.

You're going to be facing challenges to healthy living the rest of your life - just like the rest of us. If you want it badly enough, you will find a way. Supportive friends and family are great, but in the end, it's all up to you to do it yourself. Just like we all do. Best of luck with your goals!
  • mgeralt
    mgeralt Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I am 20 year old female, 5'5 , 260 lbs. I've tried and failed for 4 years. I can't control myself. I live with parents so I do not really get to chose food since my dad loves to eat like a man , and I can't handle the smell or presence of yummy food. My problem isn't really that I eat fastfood or junk food, it's more about HOW MUCH. I am sick of being the way I am, I am also prediabetic, but even that doesn't scare me into losing weight. I want to, sooo bad. But I lack self control, please, I am begging you, I am sure there are people just like me who battled through it and lost weight. Please help me.
    Thank you.

If you want it bad enough, you can overcome anything.. You just gotta dive right in and go for it. Don't think about it. Just go.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I do workout, I've been working out 5 days a week on elliptical. To start out I did 3 mins a day, then in a week 6 mins, now im at 15 plus squats and dumbells for arms. This is no problem, but the food...it's just impossible. I'm one of those people that doesn't do what preaches. I KNOW how to...I just need some sort of kick or some advise...I don't know,.

Just measure out a serving size of whatever your family is eating and eat only that. It's not rocket science. If your family tries to make you eat more, just tell them that you're full and excuse yourself. It's really not that hard to eat a proper serving size of food and then stop.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I don't have friends or anyone who would be interested in knowing about my progress. I think I need Jillian Michaels type of a person, who will see what I eat and say no don't do that, with who I can share weightloss/weightgain.
    Weightloss is difficult already but when you have no support it just doubles the pain.

No one else can do this for you - you have to want this. YOU have to put in the work, the effort, take control of your life. No one else can do that for you. Do it for you, and screw everyone else.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Aside from the aforementioned suggestions, I solved my "living with the parents" problem by taking the initiative to cook all of the family's meals and do the grocery shopping so I had control over the food. They appreciated having to do less work, and now I have turned them into health nuts as well. However, I have always loved to cook, so that made things a little easier for me.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    if your mom won't *let* you eat healthy, then eat the same meals. just half of what you used to. but i'm sure if you told her you were pre-diabetic, she would try to help you, like any mother should. maybe she will fix you some frozen mixed veggies. they are like a buck or 2 bucks a bag. eat those instead of potatoes. fixing you something separate would NOT cost them more money. it would just be different. and considering you will be eating a smaller portion than them, you will be saving them money.

It's not about money issue. My parents just think that I have to cut on HOW much I eat, not WHAT I eat.

If you are pre-diabetic, then the "what" is as important as the "how much". I know many people go the two taco bell route, but that doesn't work for a diabetic. You should ask your doctor for a diet plan and share it with your parents. Maybe then they will be more amenable to helping.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I do workout, I've been working out 5 days a week on elliptical. To start out I did 3 mins a day, then in a week 6 mins, now im at 15 plus squats and dumbells for arms. This is no problem, but the food...it's just impossible. I'm one of those people that doesn't do what preaches. I KNOW how to...I just need some sort of kick or some advise...I don't know,.

Ok, you say you need some sort of kick, so here is some honest tough love-

You are pre-diabetic. At only 20 yrs old. And weigh twice as much as you should at your height. At this rate, you may not live to see 30, much less 40. And your quality of life will be very low.

Spend a day at a dialysis clinic and see all the Diabetics that are blind, missing feet or legs, and must be hooked up to a machine that filters out their blood for 4 hours, 3 days a week. They are lined up in chairs like cattle.

THIS is your future if you do not change.

I watched my mother die a slow and painful death for 3 yrs after her kidneys failed. It was not fun for any of us. She also ended up with bladder and kidney cancer, and was gutted like a pig so the dr could remove the cancerous kidney and half her bladder. She had strokes that left her partially paralyzed and unable to get out of bed.

ALL of this could have been avoided if she had listened to her drs and done something about her health 20 yrs before, when she was only PRE diabetic.

Do you hope to be married and have kids some day? The odds of either of these things happening are greatly reduced when you are morbidly obese. And yes, you ARE morbidly obese. Morbidly means that you are at risk for DYING.

If you do not change your thinking, you will continue to gain weight, and your health will continue to deteriorate. You are at high risk for heart attack, stroke, cancer, and losing your sight and limbs due to Diabetic neuropathy.

How many men want to date, or marry a 20 something girl that is pushing 300 pounds? Your choices are severely limited. Not being rude, just honest.
    You are probably already infertile to some extent. Being that much over weight and pre-diabetic puts you at super high risk for PCOS.
    If you DO manage to get pregnant at some point, your odds of miscarriage and pregnancy complications are very high. You also put your unborn baby at risk because of gestational diabetes and other issues.

I know that this post sounds extremely rude and judgmental. I have never posted something this straight-forward and blunt on here. I generally do not like to read the honestly blunt posts like this.

But you asked for a wake up call and begged for help. So here it is.

You are only 20 years old. I cannot imagine being at your weight at such a young age. I have no idea how society has reached a point where this is ok and even normal.

But you have a great opportunity to change your path NOW, while you are still young and your health has not been adversely affected too much. You CAN reverse pre-diabetes before you end up taking insulin shots every day. Once you get to that point, weight loss becomes twice as hard.
    You might even be able to lose the weight and have most, if not all of your skin shrink back to normal.

That WILL NOT happen if you wait until you are 40s to 50s. By that time you will have to spend tons of cash to have skin removal surgery, plus going thru the severely painful healing and recovery process. DO THIS NOW!

Yeah, sounds like you are in a family where everyone eats tons of food and are severely overweight. That is THEIR normal. But it does not have to be YOUR normal.

Do whatever it takes to first, get your mind set changed to where you no longer accept this lifestyle.
    EXPECT MORE for yourself, because you deserve better.

If this means moving out on your own, or getting a healthy roommate to help with rent and your goals, then DO IT!

It is time to grow up, take a good look at your life and your future, and accept responsibility for your life and your future.

No one else can do it for you. But you can find people on here, around your age, who have succeeded in taking back their life. Friend them and find out how they did it.

Get out of your comfort zone and into a different way of living, and you will begin to make changes.

It will not always be easy. Sometimes it will be the hardest thing you have ever done. But YOU CAN DO IT!

Making the decision and commitment is the first step.

You DESERVE a better life. But only YOU can create it.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options

Ok, you say you need some sort of kick, so here is some honest tough love-

You are pre-diabetic. At only 20 yrs old. And weigh twice as much as you should at your height. At this rate, you may not live to see 30, much less 40. And your quality of life will be very low.

Spend a day at a dialysis clinic and see all the Diabetics that are blind, missing feet or legs, and must be hooked up to a machine that filters out their blood for 4 hours, 3 days a week. They are lined up in chairs like cattle.

THIS is your future if you do not change.

I watched my mother die a slow and painful death for 3 yrs after her kidneys failed. It was not fun for any of us. She also ended up with bladder and kidney cancer, and was gutted like a pig so the dr could remove the cancerous kidney and half her bladder. She had strokes that left her partially paralyzed and unable to get out of bed.

ALL of this could have been avoided if she had listened to her drs and done something about her health 20 yrs before, when she was only PRE diabetic.

Do you hope to be married and have kids some day? The odds of either of these things happening are greatly reduced when you are morbidly obese. And yes, you ARE morbidly obese. Morbidly means that you are at risk for DYING.

If you do not change your thinking, you will continue to gain weight, and your health will continue to deteriorate. You are at high risk for heart attack, stroke, cancer, and losing your sight and limbs due to Diabetic neuropathy.

How many men want to date, or marry a 20 something girl that is pushing 300 pounds? Your choices are severely limited. Not being rude, just honest.
    You are probably already infertile to some extent. Being that much over weight and pre-diabetic puts you at super high risk for PCOS.
    If you DO manage to get pregnant at some point, your odds of miscarriage and pregnancy complications are very high. You also put your unborn baby at risk because of gestational diabetes and other issues.

I know that this post sounds extremely rude and judgmental. I have never posted something this straight-forward and blunt on here. I generally do not like to read the honestly blunt posts like this.

But you asked for a wake up call and begged for help. So here it is.

You are only 20 years old. I cannot imagine being at your weight at such a young age. I have no idea how society has reached a point where this is ok and even normal.

But you have a great opportunity to change your path NOW, while you are still young and your health has not been adversely affected too much. You CAN reverse pre-diabetes before you end up taking insulin shots every day. Once you get to that point, weight loss becomes twice as hard.
    You might even be able to lose the weight and have most, if not all of your skin shrink back to normal.

That WILL NOT happen if you wait until you are 40s to 50s. By that time you will have to spend tons of cash to have skin removal surgery, plus going thru the severely painful healing and recovery process. DO THIS NOW!

Yeah, sounds like you are in a family where everyone eats tons of food and are severely overweight. That is THEIR normal. But it does not have to be YOUR normal.

Do whatever it takes to first, get your mind set changed to where you no longer accept this lifestyle.
    EXPECT MORE for yourself, because you deserve better.

If this means moving out on your own, or getting a healthy roommate to help with rent and your goals, then DO IT!

It is time to grow up, take a good look at your life and your future, and accept responsibility for your life and your future.

No one else can do it for you. But you can find people on here, around your age, who have succeeded in taking back their life. Friend them and find out how they did it.

Get out of your comfort zone and into a different way of living, and you will begin to make changes.

It will not always be easy. Sometimes it will be the hardest thing you have ever done. But YOU CAN DO IT!

Making the decision and commitment is the first step.

You DESERVE a better life. But only YOU can create it.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Umm...thanks for all that, and I DO have a guy! PERFECTLY BUILD handsome stud, future marine. It all depends on luck I guess. Some may be 110 and have no guy and some can be 300 and have the hottest guy.

Also my family is at their healthy weight, reread before making statements like this. Thanks for "wake up call", you are rightabout most of what you said but please read the posts before saying something.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    Aside from the aforementioned suggestions, I solved my "living with the parents" problem by taking the initiative to cook all of the family's meals and do the grocery shopping so I had control over the food. They appreciated having to do less work, and now I have turned them into health nuts as well. However, I have always loved to cook, so that made things a little easier for me.

As I already said my dad likes to eat old school kind of meals, if I change something he doesn't like it.
This discussion has been closed.