Lose 5 pounds a month OCTOBER 2010 CHALLENGE

Options

Replies

• anniegf
    Options
    It sounds like a plan, count me in.
  • albredera
    Options
    i'm in :happy: i need the motivation - thank you!
  • kblamo
    Options
    I am in! I'm just getting started, so this is a great goal to begin with! I look forward to all of us losing 5lbs or more by the end of October!!
  • Thooper
    Options
    I'm in!
  • takemeout
    Options
    Im in :laugh:
  • BayleeGirl
    Options
    I'll do it!! I haven't done a challenge w/a group yet.. we'll see how it goes! I need some more accountability :happy:
  • stephr2014
    stephr2014 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Im in, I also havent done a challenge and I need the motivation.
  • tpeterson1205
    Options
    I'm in! This will be great, are we going to do weekly weigh-ins to track our progress?
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    Great idea. I am in!
  • keldine
    Options
    I am in!!
  • Rubycherries
    Options
    I'm in! Gotta get some motivation to help me lose that weight!
  • redhotsmacker
    redhotsmacker Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Count me in too!!! :)

I joined the September challenge and lost 7lbs! Hoping to do the same in October!!!
  • Jewels09
    Jewels09 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Excited to start my first challenge.
  • tmlorraine
    Options
    I'm in, my starting weight is 176.6. Good luck everyone!
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    It is great to see so many people. So how does one go about losing 5 pounds in a month. Let's look at it mathematically.

1 pound = 3500 calories! 5 pounds =17,500

To lose 5 pounds you need to create a calorie deficit through diet and exercise that equals 17,500 calories.

That sounds like an awful lot but lets break it down to a daily basis. There are 31 days in October so divide that out and you need a deficit of 564.5 calories per day. How do you do that?

If you are just starting out try not to make drastic changes you cannot live with.

I read somewhere to start by eliminating 100 calories from every meal. Its easy if you eat bread at every meal. Most breads (except diet ones) run around 100 calories per slice. If you eliminate 1 slice of bread from each meal you have already eaten 300 calories less than normal.

Now go for a 2 mile walk. Time does not matter as much as distance. If you speed up to walking a mile in 13 minutes or less, you will be burning more calories per mile. But for most beginning walkers, it is best to increase the distance before working on speed. A simple rule of thumb is 100 calories per mile for a 180 pound person.

Now you are at 500 less calories....that would be a pound for 7 days of doing this. And you now you are almost there.

Skip cream in your coffee...don't drink that soda or eat that treat and you are losing enough to lose 5 pounds per month.

LET'S DO THIS TOGETHER!

Terri
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm in! 5 lbs loss by Halloween is my goal so it would be great to get some motivation! I'll see everyone here again tomorrow!
    Terri, thanks for the breakdown of how many cal deficit we need to make this happen, very helpful!
  • Lozzielol
    Options
    Count me in!
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    I'm in! I'd love to look 5lbs lighter in my Halloween costume! I've already narrowed down my personal challenge goals for October (see signature) so I'll be keeping on top of them and giving myself an extra push to slim down this month.

Good luck everyone!
  • bekylouisex3
    bekylouisex3 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm back...yet again :laugh: But I'm going to be weighing in on Tuesday (my official weigh in day) to see my final losses for September and starting weight for October :bigsmile:

Great to see lots of interest again like last month!
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I HOPE TO SEE 129 ON THAT SCALE BY OCTOBER 31. I CAN DO THIS... WITH ALL YOUR HELP AND SUPPORT. I LOVE THIS GROUP. PHYLJEN