Grocery store HORROR!!!!

Options
Is it me or is the grocery store one of the scariest places on earth when you are trying to change your lifestyle:huh:
Went grocery shopping and all of the treats were up front , (IT"S FOOTBALL SUNDAY) all of the chips, candy, cakes, pies at BOGO, soda etc. Once I broke through the crowd of delicacies I proceeded to the produce area and what do I see? well, it was more cakes, pies, chips and dips!!!!!!!:explode: My heart starts to race, I started to question myself, I tried to bargain with the God to give me some wiggle room and I walked out with one of each item listed above in my bag. Once I started to drive off, my phone buzzed and I was getting a post from MFP. I happily turned my car around and went back to the store, This time when I walked out I had $23.13 more in my wallet:flowerforyou:

CAN ANYONE RELATE TO THIS OR HAVE I JUST LOST MY MIND?!
WHAT'S THE DEAL?!

Replies

• walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I can relate, not so much for myself but because it drives me nuts for my kids, who love potato chips. It's one thing to avoid the chips and candy aisle, but like you said they are everywhere in the store in various promo displays.

Since I've started MFP, I see chips and candy as too little bang for the caloric buck, y'know? Like, I can have a bag of chips and then nothing else all day, lol, or pass on them. I like that you returned your stuff - good on you - and its nice to get that money back and use it for something better!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Such a smart lady you are to go return that stuff. You are right, of course, about the layouts of the store. The food industry is all about selling us more stuff that is cheap for them to produce and sell. Produce is a lot more work for the stores than boxed stuff. High fructose corn sugar and salt are cheap for food producers. And producing stuff sweet stuff that just makes us hungrier is how they get us to buy more.

I am in awe that you have the integrity and intestinal fortitude to go back and return the stuff. Really! Good for you!
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Monetary budget has really helped with sticking to a caloric budget.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • portpaw
    Options
    Wonderful that you actually went back to the store and returned the items! Amazing and congrats!
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Good for your for returning the stuff.

I have this problem mostly when I go shopping hungry or with a whiny child. Dangerous!!
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    For me, it's not so much the site of all the goodies, but the smell of them. My grocery store makes some serious fried chicken, and if I go to the store on my way home from work, it's the first thing I smell when I walk in the store. I make a point of going at 7:00 am every Sunday so that I never smell chicken frying, and it's so early in the day, that I don't even think about buying any of that stuff that looks so tempting. I also always make a menu for the week and make my shopping list from that, so as long as I pay attention to the list, I have a better chance of staying on track.

Good for you for returning that stuff! I'm not sure I would have been so strong! :-)
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I order my weekly groceries online and have them delivered. That way I avoid temptation and can budget more easily. :happy:
  • soullightprisms
    Options
    I so felt the same way, when I went to get groceries today. All of my favorites just calling my name. I have found for me that I have to make a list and then stick with it. When I don't,is when I start to haveissues. I look it everything now with such different eyes.
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I primarily shop at Trader Joe's for this exact reason. I do alright avoiding the chips, dip, and soda, but walking through our grocery's bakery almost kills me with tasty, creamy, chocolatey temptation!
  • floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    good for you :smile:
    i only have this problem near the bakery section. fresh bread is my weakness. chocolate, crisps etc i always buy lots of for my teenage son but i never really crave them. i recently bought a bread maker so now i avoid the bakery bit and don't even see the gorgeous pastries on offer. plus, i always eat now before i go shopping as skipping breakfast + food shopping = disaster!!
  • xoxolindseym
    Options
    What I have noticed with the store I shop at is that on Friday the chips, dips, junk food, etc, is EVERYWHERE. I'm assuming this is for the weekend/football Sunday. On the beginning of every aisle there is a chip display or a soda display. But during the weekdays it's back to normal and not so much junk everywhere. I choose to go early Tuesday/Wednesday morning and it's very easy to avoid all the temptations when I'm still morning-grumpy and eat breakfast before I go.

I'm so proud of you for taking that stuff back though! :happy:
  • lgladybug
    lgladybug Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Oh!!! I can definitely relate to this! It was like that for me when I went to the store earlier today. It's like little devils everywhere you turn. That's awesome that you went back and got your money instead of the junk food. I can't say that I would've done that. You rock! Keep up the great work! You're doing so well! :smile:
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    That kind of food almost killed me, it does not hold the same appeal as it used to. For me, there is no end. I get the cronut then I want cookies, I get cookies then I want pizza... ugh a road to nowhere. I still get tempted, and I have to fight it, but for now, I pass.
  • naturallyme36
    naturallyme36 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I can relate, not so much for myself but because it drives me nuts for my kids, who love potato chips. It's one thing to avoid the chips and candy aisle, but like you said they are everywhere in the store in various promo displays.

Since I've started MFP, I see chips and candy as too little bang for the caloric buck, y'know? Like, I can have a bag of chips and then nothing else all day, lol, or pass on them. I like that you returned your stuff - good on you - and its nice to get that money back and use it for something better!
    Yes, and I have a teenage son at home that loves all of that stuff. I have started leaving him at home when I go to the grocery store.
  • naturallyme36
    Options
    For me, it's not so much the site of all the goodies, but the smell of them. My grocery store makes some serious fried chicken, and if I go to the store on my way home from work, it's the first thing I smell when I walk in the store. I make a point of going at 7:00 am every Sunday so that I never smell chicken frying, and it's so early in the day, that I don't even think about buying any of that stuff that looks so tempting. I also always make a menu for the week and make my shopping list from that, so as long as I pay attention to the list, I have a better chance of staying on track.

Good for you for returning that stuff! I'm not sure I would have been so strong! :-)

My store also has the best fried chicken. PUBLIX!!!!
  • naturallyme36
    Options
    Thank you Lady bug. You have been such a great supportive pal.:flowerforyou:
  • naturallyme36
    Options
    Oh!!! I can definitely relate to this! It was like that for me when I went to the store earlier today. It's like little devils everywhere you turn. That's awesome that you went back and got your money instead of the junk food. I can't say that I would've done that. You rock! Keep up the great work! You're doing so well! :smile:
    Thank you Lady bug. You have been such a great supportive pal.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Since I've started MFP, I see chips and candy as too little bang for the caloric buck, y'know?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way. I see foods as "expensive" if they are high in calories. I like to save my money. :wink:
  • milmom2000
    Options
    I'm right there with ya! I hate going shopping because the store like to promote ALL of the bad stuff first and then put the good stuff away from you! Pretty sad really! :( Here's to you for trying to get through it and working hard to get healthy! Here's to us girl!