Peanut butter?

Ok I haven't had this for years lol but really fancy it on toast... Do people measure it out using a teaspoon? Please

Replies

• ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    I measure out a tablespoon.... besides it's protein so it's actually good for you. A bit of calories and fat isn't going to hurt you.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    I use a food scale
  • shanny24
    shanny24 Posts: 17 Member
    Lovely thanks.... I didn't realise it was protein lol
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    I like the cruchy peanut butter that is usually 190 cal/2 tablespoons. If Im making a sandwhich, I use 1 table spoon, which is 95 cal. But If Im making peanut sauce I usually use about3 servings ( 2 tblsp) then eat maybe 1.5-2 servings. I just measure witha table spoon or a measuring spoon.
  • maryhitt
    maryhitt Posts: 13 Member
    First of all, I want to say that I LOVE peanut butter. A lot of people justify snacking on PB with the thought "It's protein, so it's good for me." Not exactly true, though.

First of all, take a look at the nutritional information and listed ingredients on your jar of peanut butter. My much-loved jar of Jif lists the follwing ingredients:

Roasted peanuts
    Sugar
    Less than 2% of molasses, fully hydrogenated vegetable oils, mono and diglycerides, salt.

The nutritional information for 2 Tablespoons:

190 calories
    16 g fat (equivalent to 144 caloies)
    8 g carbs (32 calories)
    7g protein (28 calories)

So you can see that peanut butter is really more fat than anything else, and 144 calories is about 75% of the total calories in Jif peanut butter! We should really be thinking of peanut butter as a fat, not a protein.

As another example, my jar of Smuckers natural peanut butter contains just 2 ingredients: peanuts and salt. No added sugar. The nutritional breakdown is almost the same: 190 calories,16 g ft, 6 g crbs, 7 g protein. It has slightly less carbs because it has no sugar.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    I forget the bread and just eat PB out of the jar!

For real though, the best way to measure it is with a food scale put whatever you are putting PB on or in and place it on the scale and zero it out and then add the PB till you get your desired amount. If you use a tablespoon just know that if you fill it to the top you are most likely getting way more PB than what you intended!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Remember it's more fat than protein!!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Peanut butter on toast is my diet salvation! It's very filling and satisfying. Sure, it's not a low-calorie food. As long as you carefully plan for the fat calories (no one should be eating a 0% fat diet, gee whiz!), it fits nicely in with any healthful eating plan. Like ANY calorie dense food, it is not suitable for mindless snacking, of course.

In my case, I actually use it /specifically/ to add healthy fat to my diet because I find it's terribly easy to end up cutting fat way too much.

I always measure peanut butter using a food scale. I put the plate and the bread on the scale, tare it to zero, and then add peanut butter until it weighs out at 15 or 16 grams per tablespoon. I always feel like if I used a volume measure like a tablespoon, not only would it be inaccurate but I'd end up leaving some portion of the precious peanut goodness on the spoon instead of in my mouth.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Peanut butter on toast is my diet salvation! It's very filling and satisfying. Sure, it's not a low-calorie food. As long as you carefully plan for the fat calories (no one should be eating a 0% fat diet, gee whiz!), it fits nicely in with any healthful eating plan. Like ANY calorie dense food, it is not suitable for mindless snacking, of course.

In my case, I actually use it /specifically/ to add healthy fat to my diet because I find it's terribly easy to end up cutting fat way too much.

I always measure peanut butter using a food scale. I put the plate and the bread on the scale, tare it to zero, and then add peanut butter until it weighs out at 15 or 16 grams per tablespoon. I always feel like if I used a volume measure like a tablespoon, not only would it be inaccurate but I'd end up leaving some portion of the precious peanut goodness on the spoon instead of in my mouth.
    It's actually more convenient to put the jar on the scale, tare it, measure out the amount of peanut butter you want (the scale reads negative at that point), and put it on whatever you're putting it on. That way you're still also weighing the inevitable smidgin that gets licked off the knife that didn't get weighed on whatever you put it on.
  • maryhitt
    maryhitt Posts: 13 Member
    I always feel like if I used a volume measure like a tablespoon, not only would it be inaccurate but I'd end up leaving some portion of the precious peanut goodness on the spoon instead of in my mouth.

I am DEFINITELY in agreement with you on this!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    It hardly protein really if you read the label.

That being said I could eat it all day & I use a scale...
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    You can also try other nut butters such as almond or cashew. I make my own almond butter
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    It's actually more convenient to put the jar on the scale, tare it, measure out the amount of peanut butter you want (the scale reads negative at that point), and put it on whatever you're putting it on. That way you're still also weighing the inevitable smidgin that gets licked off the knife that didn't get weighed on whatever you put it on.

Oooh, I like that tip! Nice! I usually do the weigh what I add it to, but that's a great idea when I'm measuring out from a container. ^_^
  • KMMRN
    KMMRN Posts: 104 Member
    I buy defatted peanut flour and add a bit of salt, and milk to make a creamy texture. Very low fat, low sugar, hight protein.
  • JL2513
    JL2513 Posts: 867 Member
    I adore peanut butter. I only eat the all natural, crunch kinds. Normally, I eat it with toast or spread on top of apples, pears or bananas. I don't measure out the amounts, but I always apply sparingly. I'm not much into counting calories, but I do like to have a general idea for the snacks I consume.
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    I love peanut butter...never thought about weighing it on the scale though! :-) Thanks everybody!
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    The fat in peanut butter is good fat. But I like a little more peanut butter than I should. So I have 1 tbls of peanut butter and make up 2 tbls. of PB2. PB2 on its own can be a little bland but if I mix it with regular peanut butter I can satisfy that craving I get.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member

Love this tip, would be LIFECHANGING, except my scale doesn't do negative. After zero it goes to bars. :sad:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I totally wing it. It's delicious. I've eaten a lot of it since I have been on MFP and I lost weight and maintained it for quite some time (haven't met my goal weight yet because my maintenance period was started due to illness, surgery and a long recovery).
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Peanut butter is the best thing on this or, indeed, any other planet. You can get an accurate measurement if you make sure your tablespoons are level instead of heaping. It's a lot faster than weighing.