Why do I have to run Races to be a runner?

Options
Anyone else de-motivated when thinking about races? I'd rather just train and set off and run 13 miles without having to get up at the crack of dawn, wait in lines at port-a-potties, pay lots of money, worry about what group I'm in, and if we can make time in our schedule that particular weekend, not to mention being beholden to the weather.

I saw an episode of "Extreme Weight Loss" where the woman ran a marathon through the streets of Paris. I want an app and the road. Now, why do people tell me that I haven't run a half marathon then? It doesn't count? Apparently 13.1 miles on my treadmill isn't a real half-marathon either according to my husband. Don't understand why I have to be in the cattle stampede to be a runner!

Replies

• jessicahill530
    jessicahill530 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered this as well. I say that you make up your own "races" and tell people you ran the "insert name here" half marathon. 13.1 is 13.1 race or no race. Congrats on your accomplishments!
  • Kielawa
    Kielawa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    By definition a marathon is a race not just a distance. But either way you are still a runner.
  • Devilbat
    Options
    Perhaps you should look into virtual races? It's essentially the 'race' without all of the stuff you complained about. You can run anywhere, at any time. Some must be done on a specific day to 'count' some give you a week or several months. There's loads out there of different lengths, themes, price points. Some are free, some are not. The ones that require an entry usually are either for charity, or you get a medal/swag bag/shirt, etc. Anyway, possibly something to look into.
  • Arnegard
    Arnegard Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you run, you're a runner. You do not have to do races to be a runner. Props to you for being able to run 13 miles on a treadmill because there is no way in hell I would have the patience to run in one place that long.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, if you run recreationally, whether in races or just on your own, you're a runner. I don't car how far you go, how fast you get there, or where you run.

Since I started running just 4 weeks ago, everyone keeps trying to get me to sign up for races, saying I "need" the motivation. Actually, I don't. I enjoy running, I am hitting every goal I set for myself on or ahead of schedule, and I have the dedication to run on a treadmill when weather keeps me from running outdoors. Exactly how much more motivation do I need!?!

I get that races are super fun for some people, but they just don't appeal to me at all. Now that being said, I don't publicly refer to myself as a "runner" precisely to avoid those types of criticisms because I know that a lot of runners have issues with "newbies" claiming a "title" they haven't earned yet because they don't race. But, you know what? If crowds and porta potties are what make for a real runner, I'll just be a jogger forever. That's fine by me.
  • kvossandrews
    kvossandrews Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Well done....
    I have entered 5 runs this year and next year I will be doing none. Im a single runner and dislike races. I did them to help me get going. I do better on my own.

This is about you and if you dont want to race you dont have too. Its about getting healthy. Tell your hubby when he entres his first race you will race with him.....(it could be fun)

Keep up your great work and run for you no one else....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    no one says you have to race to a be a runner.

If you go faster than a walk- you're a runner.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    If you run you are a runner. But maybe run your half marathon distance outside and not on the treadmill. But that's just a friendly suggestion! Even if you only run on the mill, you're still a runner.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Two years ago, my husband ran a marathon every month for a year. Every single one was along the canal by our house with just him running and me on my bike. Just because there was no starting line or finish line doesn't mean he didn't run a marathon 12 times that year. We consider those the same accomplishments as the formal races and marathons he's run.

Interesting side note, he had measured the distance wrong. Turns out he did a 30 mile run every month, plus his training runs that were anywhere from 5 to 17 miles.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I was not aware of this rule.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    I mean yeah, running makes you a runner regardless of if you do the races. I have done one 5k race...more of a fun race and it was a super cool experience. Now I'm in the last leg of a 10k training program and I've thought about doing a race and then as quick as I thought about it, I'm not thinking about it anymore.

For me, I think it would be a good thing to do just to maybe make some runner friends. Maybe even some in my community. Meh, I'm in no rush. I just run because I like to do it :)

In any event....just do your thing. Don't worry about what everyone else says. If you aren't walking, you're running....go get it!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Meh... I run races, but I also run on my own. I PR'd a 5k on a training run and I have my garmin to prove it. Running 13.1 is no small feat. Congrats on getting it done!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Runner= one who runs. The end. You don't to let anybody define what it means to be a runner for you.
  • clepant
    clepant Posts: 3,408 Member
    Options
    If you run, you're a runner. You do not have to do races to be a runner. Props to you for being able to run 13 miles on a treadmill because there is no way in hell I would have the patience to run in one place that long.

Amen to this statement. I dread getting on my elliptical when the really nasty weather rolls in.
  • clepant
    clepant Posts: 3,408 Member
    Options
    Running is a means of exercise. Running races is a means to challenge you or to enjoy a different experience while running. You are a runner. I know lots of people that never race and never want to. But they love the benefits of running. So keep on running....runner.

Oh...one other thing. Don't let people push you into doing something your don't feel compelled to do. My sister ran her first marathons when she turned 50, She did well and was in the top half of the races and always placed in the top 12 of her age group. Now that I am pushing 60 and have taken up running and doing longer distances, she keeps pushing me to do a marathon just so I can experience it. I don't think I ever will...but never say never. But I really don't feel its for me. I liked doing my sprint triathlons and like the mixed sporting events as well as cycling. Everyone needs to find what makes them happy.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You're a runner if you run. Period.

I would strongly encourage you to just do a half marathon, though. The experience is totally different than 13.1 miles alone or on a treadmill, it's really really fun. Plus, you'll shut everyone up. Just do one.

As far as it 'counting' as a half marathon, I don't think you can call yourself a half-marathoner until you actually participate in a race. Like, I wouldn't get a "13.1" sticker for your car unless you participate in a race, or you'll be having this argument with everyone for the rest of time.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    You know, one of my favorite things about the running community is this strong sense of acceptance. It doesn't matter if you run outdoors, up and down mountains, on the sidewalk, in the bike lane or on a treadmill. As long as you get up off the couch and lace up those shoes, you're a runner. Races can be fun, but they're not for everyone. I think anyone who thinks you're only a runner if you compete has, unfortunately, missed the WHOLE EFFING point of being a runner.

You know what 13.1 miles on a treadmill is? Mental training. If you can run that long in one place on a treadmill, you can run 13.1 anywhere else. It takes tough mental discipline to stare at the same environment for that long. So kudos to you.

I disagree with comments that say you can't be called a "X-distance runner" without having competed in a race. A half marathon is simply a distance - 13.1 miles. Half the distance run by that famous Greek solider. A marathon is 26.2 miles. Does it matter where? Does it matter that you're the only one running it? NO.

I hate that people have tried to make running into this elitist, hierarchy. Pace, distance, "races" or non-races. It doesn't matter. What matters is you got up today and made a choice. And that's what makes you a Runner.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You don't need to run races to be a runner, but you can't say you've accomplished a race if you haven't participated in an actual race. Doing well on a training day is one thing, doing well on a racing day is another. Do not confuse the two. Any competitive event only counts if you are in there with the others. I’m the fastest runner ever if I don't have to compete ;)
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You're a runner.

That said, just because you've run 13 miles doesn't mean you've run a half marathon.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    You're a runner if you run. Period.

I would strongly encourage you to just do a half marathon, though. The experience is totally different than 13.1 miles alone or on a treadmill, it's really really fun. Plus, you'll shut everyone up. Just do one.

As far as it 'counting' as a half marathon, I don't think you can call yourself a half-marathoner until you actually participate in a race. Like, I wouldn't get a "13.1" sticker for your car unless you participate in a race, or you'll be having this argument with everyone for the rest of time.

this.

i could swim bike and run all i want in training, but until i actually DID a triathlon, i couldn't call myself a triathlete.