Smith machine or squat rack

Options
Hey! Love squats and just got into heavy lifting! Is it best to use the Smith machine instead of the squat rack??

Replies

• joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    if you're just getting started, then maybe... but the smith machine robs you of working the supporting or "balancing" muscles as much. It can be helpful when you don't have a spotter and are still working on your form. Other than that though, the pure squat reigns supreme.
  • 1flowergirl
    1flowergirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    What he said
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I think the smith machine affects your form, I think. It's not quite the same (you seem to be leaning differently).

If you already know how to squat, start with just the bar - it's 45 lbs - and add weights if it's too easy. Make sure you have the side bars on the rack (sorry, I don't know what they are called, but they are under the bar, you set them at the height just below the bottom of your squat). If you can't stand back up, you can go down and put the bar (w/ weights) on them then climb out from under. I haven't had to use them yet (I'm up to 100 lbs total now :happy:), but it's nice to know they are there.

If you don't already know how to squat, then it's best to learn how without any weights at all. Make sure your form is really good. Then you can probably start with just the bar.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Forget the smith machine and learn it right the first time.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I started on a smith because my husband had one at home. We've since bought a power rack and ditched the smith. WAY better. I was able to muscle up 5x5 squats at 180 lbs on a smith but I can't touch that level with a pure barbell squat... more like 160 lb 1RM. The pure squat makes you work everything. The smith is cheating, which will catch up to you when all the stabilizing muscles aren't strengthening as fast as the big muscles. Form suffers with the smith for sure.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Definitely the squat rack. Start small (just the bar) and work your way up slowly. That way you aren't having to play catch up with your core muscles, which are important for all heavy lifting.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    squat rack.

smith machine is only good for sitting on between sets- or doing inverted rows.

Nothing else.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    It depends how strong you are and how confident you are.

when I started I could not squat or bench press with just the bar, it was just too much weight, and my gym having no lighter barbell options, I decided to use the smith.

A month or so later my strength and confidence had built up enough and I was up to using the free bar for both bench and squat and now I can squat 40 kilos free. Not a huge amount but a huge improvement from starting at 10k on the smith!

I still use the Smith for incline bench press but that's it.

so it can help, but if you are strong enough to go straight for the free weights then do it. :-)
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    I agree with all of the above...but walking around with 350 on top of these knees for so many years has trashed them considerably. Once I get down to about parallel I can hear them start to pop...so I only do half squats or so and follow them up with some deadlifts and hacks; I can still do quite a bit with my knees as long as gravity's not involved. :|
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    The squat rack.

Smith machines make great towel hangers though.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    The squat rack.

Smith machines make great towel hangers though.

lol.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Squat rack, for the love of all that is holy do not use a smith.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    squat rack.

smith machine is only good for sitting on between sets- or doing inverted rows.

Nothing else.

QTF
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Forget the smith machine and learn it right the first time.

^ This.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    Also, just to play devil's advocate here, I (and many others) go to gyms that may not be as full-featured when it comes to free weights; they cram as many cardio machines into the space as they can. My little satellite gym for example only has a smith machine and no free rack.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Also, just to play devil's advocate here, I (and many others) go to gyms that may not be as full-featured when it comes to free weights; they cram as many cardio machines into the space as they can. My little satellite gym for example only has a smith machine and no free rack.

time to find a new gym
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    My gym only has smith machine also. Which I am thankful for as I cannot get down to parallel without falling. Eventually, I will need to upgrade to a gym with a powerrack but right now it's just not a financial option. Everything else I use free weights for.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

Yes, and the advice for this varies and would look very different. In this case they have access to both, so the smith machine is not the optimal option. However, here are 35 different squats using different equipment. This includes the excellent goblet squat. The smith does show up at the end of the listing, but if that's the only equipment you have for back squats you can certainly also embrace another option.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/11/30/the-ultimate-squat-guide-35-squat-exercises/
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Racks are best! But you can get good use out of a Smith machine (at least I have) in addition to rack work.

ETA: If I'm at a facility with only a Smith (prob cause of liability) I will use it shamelessly and without issues.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

time to find a new gym

Agreed. I would not pay for a gym that did not have the equipment I needed.