I am beggin, help me lose weight.

Options

Replies

• ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    I have to second telling your parents you are prediabetic. If my daughter was prediabetic I would want to know so I could help in any way I could.

I don't want to burden anyone with it, I don't want her to feel bad for me etc. It's everyone's opinion, I decide not to say anything.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    tell your parents about being pre-diabetic..

Log everything
    i mean. if eat a piece of popcorn. log it, until you get it under control
    You can make your diary private.. but making yourself admit and see what you actually eat will help

I lost 60 pounds total so far.. and that's all i do. I eat all the same foods pretty much.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options

Log everything
    You can make your diary private.. but making yourself admit and see what you actually eat will help

I lost 60 pounds total so far.. and that's all i do. I eat all the same foods pretty much.

I do log everything. I already know about how many calories are in what after years of studying, I can tell how much I eat, but logging it shows me exact number.

How long did it take you?
  • JamieH1984
    JamieH1984 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    ThisTimeWorks, all I can say is love yourself. Remind yourself that you're WORTH the hard work put into dieting. It won't be easy, and it won't be fun. That's what the rewards of losing excess medication, feeling healthier and looking better are for.

I lack the courage to turn food down as well. Have you talked to your mother about helping you? Perhaps if you label food as "Father's" versus "mine", it will help you not eat someone else's food and focus on your own. Being pre-diabetic, he should care more about your health than his tastebuds anyway and back you up by changing food.

You could also tell yourself, "I will eat just half of a serving for now, and if I'm REALLY hungry later, maybe I'll let myself have that other half of a serving". Except, don't. Drink lots of water to help fill you up so food isn't as tempting. Or if you're still hungry, work out. Working out often makes me stop feeling hungry. But, if you feel even more hungry afterwards, well, let yourself have that second half of the serving -- you burnt off at least some of it.

That's the thing...nobody knows im prediabetic, I don't want to burden my parents with it. I want to beat it.

Time to "man up" and have a heart to heart with your parents. If they are anything like my parents they want you to be happy and healthy, so I highly doubt having a conversation about current health concerns won't be a burden to them. If you talk to them maybe they can help you get on the right path. It's clear that you want this very badly you just need to MAKE it happen. No more excuses, just get it done.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options

Log everything

I do log everything. I already know about how many calories are in what after years of studying, I can tell how much I eat, but logging it shows me exact number.

It's took me 8 months to lose 60 pounds. I've been the same weight for 2 months, but i am seeing toning and definition happening.. i work out a lot. it's my stress relief. .. As for my food choices..I've been slacking and I know it.

I don't weigh my food, but if you really struggle with overeating, then you probably should. My issues with diet is vastly different then yours,. but still has the same solution.

Don't give up. Log everything. be consistent. forgive yourself and just keep at it.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options

Log everything

It's took me 8 months to lose 60 pounds. I've been the same weight for 2 months, but i am seeing toning and definition happening.. i work out a lot. it's my stress relief. .. As for my food choices..I've been slacking and I know it.

I don't weigh my food, but if you really struggle with overeating, then you probably should. My issues with diet is vastly different then yours,. but still has the same solution.

Don't give up. Log everything. be consistent. forgive yourself and just keep at it.

• MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If you are going to face your pre-diabetic situation on your own, I hope you are getting educated about what to do.

To stablize your blood sugar and lower your glucose spikes which leads to having a better A1C, you have to stop carb loading. Your pancreas needs a rest. Watch your macros carefully and lower your carb ratio until you get your blood sugar under control.

If you have to eat more of something because you're feeling very hungry, you need to choose a non-carb.

Don't drink juice (unless you are hypo). <-- unless you are on medication, this will not happen, so forget the juice, you don't need it.

Eat fruit instead, but not too much fruit. Fruits are carbs.

Eat more vegetables and proteins. <-- not carbs, these are your friends

Potatos = carbs, peas = carbs, corn = carbs, even beans have lots of carbs, so be careful.

When you choose carbs, choose high fiber carbs, this can help lower blood sugar spikes when you eat carbs. Try to get at least 25 grams of fiber per day, more when you can, and drink a lot of water.

I still think you're a whiner, but I don't wish ill on you and you have to learn how to manage your disease. I was kinda disgusted when you said even being pre-diabetic wasn't enough to scare you into losing weight. wtf will it take? I dunno.

Maybe when you have to start injecting insulin? How are you going to keep that a secret? Do you not check your blood sugar? How do you hide the test strips, sharps container, and lancets? Or do you just tell yourself that if you don't monitor your blood sugar it must be okay?

I also think you're a coward for not telling your parents.

If you were living on your own, I'd say your fate was in your own hands. But, you're their dependant still, and it's wrong of you not to tell them because what they do is directly affecting your health because you have so much trouble controlling yourself.

Ya know, at first it seemed like you were saying your parents were making you fat and keeping you that way. But as your story progresses, it seems like you have probably been encouraged to eat less on several occassions, but you cannot resist certain food triggers.

You NEED them to help you. You just don't want your yummy food taken away.

I think you don't like it when you're told to 'not eat like a man' and you like your habit. And I think you know that if you tell them that you are having a health issue that requires new eating habits, while you depend on them for housing and food, that your food will get policed because they'll want to help you, and you don't want your food to be monitored by your parents.

Not telling your parents that you need dietary restructuring is allowing them to poison you and then you continue to blame them for buying yummy things that you like and making your life hard. You can't have it both ways.

Edited for: TL;DR - Tell your parents about your disease, get educated about your disease, monitor your blood sugar, and don't carb load.

Source: Diabetes runs in my family Type I & II. I have PCOS which includes insulin resistance. And I helped my mom with her blood sugar testing and hypo-events since I was a child.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    MuseofSong really hit the nail on the head. LISTEN to the truth she wrote! You will not make any real progress until you get real, and be brutally honest with yourself.

You don't want to tell your family you are pre-diabetic because then you will HAVE to change your eating habits and can no longer blame them.

OWN THAT!

No more excuses. Just do it.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    That's true. If you can avoid diabetes then do so. Whatever it takes. it's not fun to have it. Thankfully I do not, but I have a lot of family and friends that do and I hate watching them inject themselves or suddenly start sweating and shaking. Twice a friend of mine collapsed in a store because her sugar dropped. it's not fun. Plus there are a lot of other medical things that diabetes can cause. It should scare you. You need to tell your family. Don't let them find out when you collapse from an unexpected sugar drop like my uncle did. Scared the crap out of us, and if we had known his condition we could have helped him. Instead we called 911 and he laid there for 30 minutes until they got there. If we knew what he had, we could have fed him sooner, or giving him insulin after he collapsed. it is manageable, but the time to ask for help is now, when you can still do something about it.

If you focus on calories and protein you will automatically eat less carbs. Boil eggs, get cheese sticks, drink milk, put meat on your plate every meal. Tuna and chicken are usually fairly inexpensive. You can get swai fillet, tilipia and other fish fairly inexpensive too if you shop around.
  • terriblyn
    terriblyn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this is actually still going on...
  • faithdanyell
    faithdanyell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Take control of you weight loss...stop blaming your family and your lack of control. You can do it it you want it bad enough. You are a young lady and should be doing more in the way of exercise. Once you decide getting healthier is more important than over eating, consult with a trainer and a nutritionist. Getting healthy and losing weight it's all about your mind set if your are not mentally committed you will not succeed. I have a lot of weight to lose and I work at it everyday. Good Luck!
  • louwho777
    louwho777 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Everyone has an opinion on how to do this. I've lost almost 30 lbs in the last 4 months after being a yoyo dieter for the last 20 years but I think I've finally figured it out. If you have the time, read the books "wheat belly", by Dr Davis, "why we get fat" by gary taubes, and watch the dvd "fathead". You can get most of the info off youtube or blogs if you dont care to read. I dont excercise. Im never hungry and I eat as much as I want and never count calories. I just avoid certain foods like the plague!!!!! Its counter intuitive to conventional wisdom. In a nutshell, quit eating grains especially wheat, quit eating processed sugars and artificial sweeteners, quit eating starchy vegetables and legumes. Eat all the meat, fish and eggs you want. Eat all the vegetables you want. Raw nuts and hard cheeses. Get PLENTY of animal animal fat but you can add in coconut oil or olive oil and drink water. Best of luck to you!!!! Louis
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Can you buy foods yourself and put that in a special section in your fridge, and kitchen cabinets can you tell others not to eat that food? Can you stash some food in your room - even maybe investing in a small refrigerator (like hotels have these)... i mean really if it takes something like that, it might. If you are stuck eating what your mom cooks, you will have to adjust the portions so it comes within your calories MFP sets.
  • Do you stress eat? Do you always take second portions of everything?

If you eat when you're stressed or bored, you can work on reducing that. Instead of stress eating you could work on your school work, take a bath, meditate, do light exercise like a walk around the block or a yoga video, or even nap. Think about what your mindset is like before you have a huge binge or eat something that isn't particularly nutritious. Find ways to soothe yourself without overeating.

If you can't do it on your own, are you willing to address any issues you may be facing with a professional? If you're struggling with the pressures of college, dealing with anxiety, or any personal issues, it may help to talk it out. I second everyone's suggestion to write down what you're eating and how much. I also suggest keeping a personal log for the day. Were you tired? Did you miss breakfast? Were you cramming for a test? Being aware of what you're putting in your body and what's going on in your daily life is a good start.

You mentioned that you do not work because of school. Is it possible for you to find a small job on campus? Many student positions are 5 to 10 hours and you can usually find work study positions if you qualify. That may solve your food issue if you can control what you have available. If you are not willing to do this, perhaps your parents will be willing to try healthier recipes or bring more fruit and veg into the house.

The best thing you cab do is prepare. Buy things that are sale. Shop at reduced price markets. Chop your veggies ahead of time. Premake portion bags so you can enjoy treats without over indulging. Your school may also have a nutritionist on staff. Speak to them if you can make an appointment.
  • enidite
    enidite Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I know you are probably tired of hearing this and I can understand that you do not want to worry your parents, but now is your chance to prevent a major illness. Do it while you can , if it is too late, you will regret it. There are so many other health risks that a person with diabetes faces, and I don't think these risks should be taken lightly.
    This is not only about losing weight, it is also about how you eat and how much you exercise. You said you have already lost weight, congratulations, that is a great achievement. Would have any opportunity to see a nutritionist that could help you with your dietary requirements? He//she can give you valuable information that can help you on your road to success.
    Believe me when I say, I have been there. When I was pregnant with our fourth child, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. It was not fun, believe me. Though it went away after the pregnancy, I knew that I would always be at a high risk of becoming diabetic again. Being short sighted and feeling that I could not control myself around food, I am now reaping some of the seeds I have sown over the years: Over 100 pds to loose, fatty liver, gallstones, to name a few. I am on a ton of medications now and I never would have thought I would have to take medications. I have always been healthy (so I thought). I'm at risk of type II diabetes and diseases that can go along with it. Luckily, I can still turn things around, but it would have been easier to it right away , 12 years ago after the birth of our daughter.
    Please do anything you can to get yourself healthy now while you are young. You do not want to wait too long and then face uphill battles and obstacles that are far more difficult to overcome because your health has deteriorated along the way.
    I hope you don't feel I am sticking my nose too deep into your personal business, but I have four children and as a Mom I can tell you, I would do anything to help my child to be/stay/get healthy, because I love each one of them. Yes, I would worry about them, but being able to help them would outweigh the worry.
    I wish you the best of luck.
  • jafabuNZ
    jafabuNZ Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Try a hypnotist if nothing else works.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    I know you are probably tired of hearing this and I can understand that you do not want to worry your parents, but now is your chance to prevent a major illness. Do it while you can , if it is too late, you will regret it. There are so many other health risks that a person with diabetes faces, and I don't think these risks should be taken lightly.
    This is not only about losing weight, it is also about how you eat and how much you exercise. You said you have already lost weight, congratulations, that is a great achievement. Would have any opportunity to see a nutritionist that could help you with your dietary requirements? He//she can give you valuable information that can help you on your road to success.
    Believe me when I say, I have been there. When I was pregnant with our fourth child, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. It was not fun, believe me. Though it went away after the pregnancy, I knew that I would always be at a high risk of becoming diabetic again. Being short sighted and feeling that I could not control myself around food, I am now reaping some of the seeds I have sown over the years: Over 100 pds to loose, fatty liver, gallstones, to name a few. I am on a ton of medications now and I never would have thought I would have to take medications. I have always been healthy (so I thought). I'm at risk of type II diabetes and diseases that can go along with it. Luckily, I can still turn things around, but it would have been easier to it right away , 12 years ago after the birth of our daughter.
    Please do anything you can to get yourself healthy now while you are young. You do not want to wait too long and then face uphill battles and obstacles that are far more difficult to overcome because your health has deteriorated along the way.
    I hope you don't feel I am sticking my nose too deep into your personal business, but I have four children and as a Mom I can tell you, I would do anything to help my child to be/stay/get healthy, because I love each one of them. Yes, I would worry about them, but being able to help them would outweigh the worry.
    I wish you the best of luck.

Yes, but I've started losing weight already :)
    I don't need to stress them with something I am going to change.
  • enidite
    enidite Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    you do not seem to understand or want to understand what people are trying to explain to you.
This discussion has been closed.