Why do I have to run Races to be a runner?

Options

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Steps to become a runner -

1. Run.
    2. Congratulations, you're a runner.

You don't have to run races.
  • XMan714
    XMan714 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You are a runner regardless of participating in races, but you can't
    say you've done a half marathon or full marathon just because you
    got on a treadmill and did the distance. I think you've missed the
    whole point of why people do races. Just like everything you do
    for a healthy lifestyle, it is an event that takes you out of your
    controlled conditions and tests your ability to complete the goal.
    Don't get so caught up in labels. You're doing the same thing by
    going against those that do races.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing people refer to a marathon as a race. It is not. A marathon is a long distance run, IT IS NOT A RACE. Google it if you want to educate yourself on what a marathon traditionally is. Now, it is mostly thought of as a race, but is not really what it is. Also, the distance of the race is not really a marathon. In the Greek days, the distance was often much farther than 26.2 miles. That is a random number and not really a marathon, in the traditional sense, it was much longer before. They just settled on that number for race purposes.

I did google it. Guess what came up? Wikipedia. Guess what wikipedia says?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marathon_(disambiguation)

A marathon is a distance race of 42.195 km (26 miles 385 yards) and, by extension, in general speech a lengthy, arduous or time-consuming undertaking.

Or perhaps this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marathon

The marathon is a long-distance running event with an official distance of 42.195 kilometres (26 miles and 385 yards),[1] that is usually run as a road race. The event was instituted in commemoration of the fabled run of the Greek soldier Pheidippides, a messenger from the Battle of Marathon to Athens.
    The marathon was one of the original modern Olympic events in 1896, though the distance did not become standardized until 1921. More than 500 marathons are held throughout the world each year, with the vast majority of competitors being recreational athletes. Smaller marathons, such as the Stanley Marathon, can have just dozens of participants,[2] while larger marathons can have tens of thousands of participants.

Or maybe this:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/marathon?s=t

mar·a·thon [mar-uh-thon, -thuhn]
    noun
    a foot race over a course measuring 26 mi. 385 yards (42 km 195 meters).
    any long-distance race.
    any contest, event, or the like, of great, or greater than normal, length or duration or requiring exceptional endurance: a dance marathon; a sales marathon.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll try to specifically ask google "what is a marathon". Guess what comes up?

mar·a·thon
    ˈmarəˌTHän/Submit
    noun
    a long-distance running race, strictly one of 26 miles and 385 yards (42.195 km).

Ok, I'll try one more link to see what it says:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-marathon.htm

A marathon is an endurance foot race which covers 26 miles, 385 yards (42.2 kilometers). It is named after the Greek Battle of Marathon, which occurred in 490 BCE. In addition to being an Olympic event for both men and women, marathons are run all over the world on a variety of terrain types by athletes at various skill levels. To perform well in a marathon, an athlete undergoes a vigorous period of training to develop stamina and learn his or her physical limitations.

Well damn, I guess even as you tell us to google it, all signs point to yes, a marathon is a race/event.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm a racer. It's what I do for fun. Nobody I know who is a racer thinks people who run but don't race are not also "runners". Two different things.

Personally, I wouldn't say I'd "done a marathon" unless I registered for one and finished. Very few people only run 26.2 miles in a marathon of 13.1 in a half marathon. Inability to run perfect tangents due to crowd and other reasons typically make it a bit longer. But then again, I'm a racer, so I identify with the race itself. And if someone runs 13.1 on a treadmill and feels proud to have done the distance and wants to say they did a half marathon, I'm fine with that. It's their accomplishment and their definition. No rules around that.
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Honey, please! If you run you're a runner. Period. Don't worry about what others say. Run on sister!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    If you run you are a runner, but consider doing a race. There is a reason people pay money for them. The experience is so different than running alone. They don't have to be expensive. I can find small half marathons around me in the summer for 30-40$. If you run the big ones, it will cost you.

Plus, guh running a half on a treadmill? I was forced to run 12 on a treadmill this weekend. Never again, if I can help it.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    And, that the distances were not 26 miles, but actually much further. It wasn't until maybe the 70's where they settled on 26.2.

That one line made me giggle. At first i thought you must be really young where the 1970s would be ancient history, but we're about the same age! It was May 1921 when the distance was formally implemented.

For the Olympics only, previous distances had ranged between 24.85 and 26.56.

Your point may well be very valid that people used marathon to describe long runs of varying distances and not races. I'm personally pretty racing centric, so that's how I tend to see things.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    OP is this about being a runner or that you can't claim completion of a half marathon?
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    You don't.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You don't have to. I stopped racing years ago due to injury and I am certainly still a runner. I've run hundreds of races over a 20 years period, often up to 15 a year. Nowadays people only think of half marathons or full, but running 5k, 8k, 10k are incredible challenges that I really miss.

But I will say that races are an important part of the experience so I would not sell them short. You run faster in races, you test yourself and find out what your limits are and there is a shared experience being out there that cannot be replicated simply running training efforts. The idea of running is to get better and faster and the best way to prove that is to put a # on.

But if you don't want to, it doesn't mean you aren't a runner. It is just part of the experience and quite frankly one of the most enriching and satisfying.
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you don't want to try a race?
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    By definition a marathon is a race not just a distance. But either way you are still a runner.

Yes. This. I have been a runner for about three years. But I have never run a race. It intimidates me. Maybe I will someday. . . .
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You don't. I find races hella fun, but their not everyone's cuppa. :drinker:
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I agree you don't have to run races but your description of races is a little overly dramatic. After I finished the C25K I ran my one and only 5k race. I showed up 10 minutes before it started, ran it, got my banana, and left. Obviously there's more time invested in a half marathon but you've already put in hours of training so you'd think one more day wouldn't be THAT big of a deal.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to run in races to be a runner. But races are fun. If you don't think they're fun, then don't run in them. Problem solved.

Running on a treadmill is not the same thing. You can do 13 miles on a treadmill, but probably only half that on the pavement. The treadmill moves your feet for you. On the ground, you have to jump forward to move your feet. It's very different. It's not a bad thing, it is what it is. No worries. Just enjoy your run.

Everyday there are posts similar to this one, the main theme is worrying about what other people say or think about you. If you're happy running on your treadmill, who cares what other people say. Does it really matter what they think?

Quoting this because I would encourage adding some road work to your training (if you don't already).

I was running 5-6 miles on my treadmill all winter as I learned how to run, and the first time I actually hit the road, I was a) faster and b) I couldn't walk for a week. Apparently you use your muscles quite differently, and you will feel that accordingly.

Now. If all you ever want to do is run on the treadmill, then all the power to you. You are still a runner. But your body may thank you for switching between road and treaddy from time to time (again, that's only if you don't already).

As for the 13.1 miles solo vs I ran a half... It clearly depends on who you ask.

But if you can do it, or want to do it, you can look for smaller less popular races so that it still feels like you are running solo, you get the shirt / medal, and you can say you did run a half marathon race. :)

personally... I love the energy, comraderie, cheering, and feel of a race. I don't go in it to win (I never will), but I love seeing all the people in varying shapes and fitness levels, all working toward the same goal. *happy sigh*
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    There's nothing that says you're not a runner if you don't run races.

As far as the 13.1 miles: If you run that on your own then you can say you ran a half marathon DISTANCE. However I don't believe in saying you ran an actual half marathon unless you have run the race because that's what the definition of a half marathon is:

Web definitions:

A half marathon is a road running event of 21,097.5 meters, or miles, about 13.1 miles
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing people refer to a marathon as a race. It is not. A marathon is a long distance run, IT IS NOT A RACE. Google it if you want to educate yourself on what a marathon traditionally is. Now, it is mostly thought of as a race, but is not really what it is. Also, the distance of the race is not really a marathon. In the Greek days, the distance was often much farther than 26.2 miles. That is a random number and not really a marathon, in the traditional sense, it was much longer before. They just settled on that number for race purposes.

This is incorrect on so many levels it is mind boggling. When you put on a #, it is a race. When it is scored and there are awards, it is a race. When the fastest person wins, it is a race.

Unreal.

Some may run it as an event, but trust me, it is a race.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do races to be a "runner". If you run, you're a runner. And if you ran 13.1 miles, you've run a half marathon. That's the definition, and it really doesn't matter if it's "official" or not. The beauty of running

Now, if you've never run a race, then you're simply not a "racer". You're a runner who doesn't race.

Which really isn't a bad thing. I don't know why people put so much stock in running races for defining who is or is not a runner.. I mostly do races with friends because it's just a fun way to celebrate big life things for me. I've also discovered the fun awesomeness of relay races, which makes running more of a teamwork thing. Definitely a lot more fun than dealing with traditional races.

You've run the distance of a half marathon, but you haven't run a half marathon. And I don't think anybody here is saying to be a runner you must run races.

I'm really confused as to why there is a distinction with that. It's not like a marathon is defined as being in a certain place, time, and having to be run by a certain amount of people or anything else. It's simply 26.2 miles, and you can put that distance in any time or place you want. To have run one, you simply have to run the distance. The only difference with doing it in a race setting is you do it with other people around, pay money, and have someone else measure the miles for you.

Fundamentally, "running the distance of a half marathon" and "running a half-marathon" are not different at all. Because if you change the time, setting, people, price, and everything else, you're left with the one constant: The distance.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    OP I'm sympathetic. But like others have said, if you are going faster than you walk, then you are running and therefore are a runner!

I only do about 1 5k a year now, but run 15-20 miles a week on my own. Some people are motivated by the competition. Sometimes when I see someone WALKING the same direction as me it disheartens me and makes me want to slow down or give up, it's kind of a lot of effort to get around people who honestly aren't walking too much slower than I can run :laugh:

I've enjoyed the couple 5ks I've done, but totally get why not everyone would want to do them. The parking/logistics/money can be their own stressful aspect, though I usually enjoy the race itself just fine.